Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Insurance

Options
  • 03-05-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone have any advise on what insurance I should get for my 16 year old daughter and her horse? He is her first horse and she is just beginning to take part in show jumping, cross country and hunt events. Also has anyone heard of BHS insurance? Would that cover both of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Katieloulou,
    I'll move your thread to the equestrian forum as you should get a more diverse range of experiences there.
    Please be aware that a different charter applies.
    Good luck with your enquiry :)
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi OP,

What type of cover are you looking for? BHS covers personal liability and public liability, but doesn't cover the horse you are on (as far as I know). It does have the added benefit that the insurance is in the BHS membership price.
    Other two that are established horse and rider insurers are Allianz and Wexford. Allianz is a fairly popular one, though I have no idea of the costs. Wexford I only know of as they were at the RDS, so they at least have a specific interest in horses.
    A quick goggle search shows other companies but I haven't personally heard of them.
    You should bare in mind though, read the small print and always make sure any instructor you bring your child to is insured, as an accident under professional instruction is meant to be covered by the instructors policy. Most insurance companies won't pay out on a personal claim in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

It depends what kind of cover you want.

If it's just public liability (e.g. if the horse damages public property) then BHS Gold is all you need.

If you want to cover public liability + death of the horse and emergency surgery (basically colic surgery), then you have lots of options, Wexford Insurance being a good one here.

If you want anything else (Vet fees, tack, horsebox or permanent loss of use of horse) then Allianz is your only option really. They have full market share here in Ireland on vet fees as the only insurer to offer cover on same. There are some UK companies who will offer cover for vet fees to Irish clients but tbh I haven't looked into it as it seems like more hassle than it's worth to insure with a UK company from Ireland.

Price depends on value of horse - except for BHS Gold which is a fixed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Does anyone have any advise on what insurance I should get for my 16 year old daughter and her horse? He is her first horse and she is just beginning to take part in show jumping, cross country and hunt events. Also has anyone heard of BHS insurance? Would that cover both of them?

just in same both as you , how did you get on?
    Is BHS sufficient cover do you think..dont think vet fees are covered are they?
    thks

Advertisement