Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch alarm system query

Options
  • 03-05-2016 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭

Just purchased a second hand home and I noticed the previous owner has a phonewatch alarm system installed, have heard it is very pricey to maintain the Garda monitoring service and we are not exactly loaded.

What I was wondering was if we do not contact phonewatch can we continue to use the alarm as simply a stand alone alarm with no monitoring from the guards? Appreciate any help and I hope I have made sense in what I have asked!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

What is the current set-up covering? All doors & windows? PhoneWatch (particularly more recent installations) tend to only cover the main door and add one or two internal motion sensors. Based on my thankfully limited experience with them, I'd advise getting rid of it completely and getting in a proper, more comprehensive alarm system. You can always get one that will allow you add monitoring down the line. Pretty much all the competition will be cheaper than PhoneWatch for the same service.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 to all of the above.
    Also it is not a Garda monitoring service. It's central station monitoring service. The Gardai have no hand or part in phonewatch despite what their adverts try to convey.
    Any licenced company can provide you with the same service with a more comprehensive system for less.
    Advice as always.... Shop Around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Thanks for the replies, new alarm system it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Sono wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, new alarm system it is so.

If you need any advise on same please let us know.

kub wrote: »
    If you need any advise on same please let us know.

Thanks for this, would certainly appreciate any advice on this as well, been quoted €700 for doors and windows hooked up, not sure if that's a good price or not what do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Thanks for this, would certainly appreciate any advice on this as well, been quoted €700 for doors and windows hooked up, not sure if that's a good price or not what do you think?

Get a min of three quotes and then compare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That is good advice. Also check the make /model of systems and if there is any running costs involved if using apps, remote monitoring etc.

Anyone ever get safenet in for an install? Was chatting to Colin this evening and he seemed to know what he was talking about. He said the alarms they recommend are HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Just purchased a second hand home and I noticed the previous owner has a phonewatch alarm system installed, have heard it is very pricey to maintain the Garda monitoring service and we are not exactly loaded.

What I was wondering was if we do not contact phonewatch can we continue to use the alarm as simply a stand alone alarm with no monitoring from the guards? Appreciate any help and I hope I have made sense in what I have asked!!

You dont say what type system you have installed?

If the system has perimeter protection then you can use the system as a standalone system plus you could add a device to self monitor the alarm if required.

altor wrote: »
    You dont say what type system you have installed?

If the system has perimeter protection then you can use the system as a standalone system plus you could add a device to self monitor the alarm if required.

I don't know much about it, I arrived and it was there, it was a monitored alarm but has since been cancelled. Can't tell you much more about it than that I'm afraid, previous owner didn't pass on any info about it.

• Advertisement

Can you post a pic of the panel & also if there are devices on your windows & doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I don't know much about it, I arrived and it was there, it was a monitored alarm but has since been cancelled. Can't tell you much more about it than that I'm afraid, previous owner didn't pass on any info about it.

That is no problem.
    You would know by looking at your windows and doors to see if they are alarmed with alarm sensors.
    If it is a trap system, then you would have just movement detectors installed in most rooms downstairs.
    If the system was one of the older classic systems then a new system would be the way to go.

altor wrote: »
    That is no problem.
    You would know by looking at your windows and doors to see if they are alarmed with alarm sensors.
    If it is a trap system, then you would have just movement detectors installed in most rooms downstairs.
    If the system was one of the older classic systems then a new system would be the way to go.

It is definitely one of the newer ones wfh detectors in the rooms, would rather not have to get a new alarm fitted if it could be avoided but the charge of €35 a month for phone watch seems excessive also. I really need to get the finger out and sort this ASAP.

Thanks for the replies

If it's the new one with cameras in the PiRs then a new system is your only real option. This will not work with any other station, no one else can service or repair these.
    Also without proper perimeter protection you have an alarm system that is not going to activate untill AFTER someone has got into the house.

KoolKid wrote: »
    If it's the new one with cameras in the PiRs then a new system is your only real option. This will not work with any other station, no one else can service or repair these.
    Also without proper perimeter protection you have an alarm system that is not going to activate untill AFTER someone has got into the house.

Thanks for this, what a pain!

New alarm downstairs with the app function on the phone is working out just under €1k, big outlay. It looks like we just have to bite the bullet and get it installed.

Thanks again for everyone's help

My advice would be go with something like GSD or Siemens /Vanderbilt SPC. As least then you won't be tied to paying for apps or subscriptions to use the app and get alerts.

KoolKid wrote: »
    My advice would be go with something like GSD or Siemens /Vanderbilt SPC. As least then you won't be tied to paying for apps or subscriptions to use the app and get alerts.

Yeah I didn't really like the idea of paying €170 for another box to be installed and then €100 to use the app every 12 months. Thanks for the sound advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I'd like to install an alarm in my home. From what I can tell, there is wiring provided to do so, but I don't see any evidence of an alarm ever being fitted.

Can anyone suggest good companies I could contact? I'm based in South Dublin.

Take a look at the sticky there are a few companies listed there.
    You could also take a look at the PSA register & look for companies local to you.

Advertisement