Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 15R SE Blue screen everytime installing AMD driver on W7,W8 and W10

Options
  • 04-05-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

For the last 3 years or so the laptop worked perfectly fine. Every few months I would be reinstalling windows from 7 to 8 or 7 to 10 or 10 to 7. The AMD drivers used to install flawless up until my recent reinstall.

I have jumped from W7 to W10 (fresh install). The driver were working fine initially but then kept crashing every few minutes. Not think much of it, I just went back to W7. Now every time I try to install the AMD graphic drivers, I will get a blue screen. I get the blue screen of pretty much any OS.

At this stage I've disabled AMD under device manager and am just using Intel HD graphics.

I'm led to believe that my GPU is gone but I'm not sure at all since it was working perfectly fine. Running the built in Dell diagnostic on the GPU, it passes the test.

I have no clue why it keeps blue screening. :(

PS: I have tried different driver versions from both Dells website and AMDs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's with all the reinstalls?

Not that it matters much. Does Windows auto install the AMD driver, or will it install generic drivers for the card after a Win10 install? You've tried everything I would thus far, perhaps you could download some better diagnostic software? I reckon you should be able to create a bootable USB drive and boot into some software to diagnose graphics card issues. It might be more comprehensive than the dell version.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

What's with all the reinstalls?

Not that it matters much. Does Windows auto install the AMD driver, or will it install generic drivers for the card after a Win10 install? You've tried everything I would thus far, perhaps you could download some better diagnostic software? I reckon you should be able to create a bootable USB drive and boot into some software to diagnose graphics card issues. It might be more comprehensive than the dell version.

W10 will try to automatically install AMD drivers. So it starts to blue screen pretty much the moment it boots up.

Any recommendations on a diagnostic tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

doctorg wrote: »
    W10 will try to automatically install AMD drivers. So it starts to blue screen pretty much the moment it boots up.

Any recommendations on a diagnostic tool?

I know they exist, but I havent used any in the last 4 years so your googling would be as good as mine to be honest!

Advertisement