Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laois/Wicklow V Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The blue and white jersey with navy shorts doesn't look good. Total mismatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

How did Johnny Cooper not get a black card there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PressRun wrote: »
    How did Johnny Cooper not get a black card there?

Wasn't a cynical pull down.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wasn't a cynical pull down.

Debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Debatable.

Not really he was making an honest but stupid effort to get the ball.

Some second goal by Laois, Dublin with their usual 10 minute or so second half snooze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

2vblf87.jpg

4ewjq.jpg

And for balance

r8tuu8.jpg

What're we chalking this down to;

Dubs not travelling
    Leinster council arrogance
    Laois petulance
    Me bored at the match - when opponents can score 2 goals in a few minutes and still need 2 more....

Diarmuid Connolly doing well, the best I've seen him so far this year. Dean Rock's tally up to 1-8 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

2-6 conceded against a Laois side after they where reduced too 14 men for over half the game,will not have Jim too happy. Plenty of room for improvement.

• Advertisement

Definitely room for improvement. There are probably weaknesses in that full-back line that can be exploited. Dublin still pose the most potent of threats going forward though. Laois were not up to much for most of the match, admittedly, but 2-21 is a big score by any standards, imo.

Good to see young O'Callaghan getting the run out. Was impressed with him in the U21 championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think we've learned that Dublin fans won't bother their arses traveling outside Dublin to watch their team. For years when people complained about the dubs getting home games all the time, they responded that they'd only love the chance to have away games. This confirms everyone's suspicion that that wasn't true, that beyond a small core of support the boys in blue is made up of a very casual bunch of fans who wouldn't bother their arses leaving the comfort of Dublin. The hotels argument only proves this point, so few fans willing to go to a match just an hour and a half down the road unless they can make a weekend of it. I suspect the lesson that will be learned is not to bring the dubs out of croker ever again. Blaming Laois fans (and they sure have been moaning a lot over a game that ordinarily would have been played as a Dublin home game) overlooks the simple reality that the numbers very clearly show: the dubs aren't arsed if it's not in Dublin.

I'm just going to repost this without comment.To the Dubs who did go today, hope ye enjoyed it. To the rest, don't worry, I'm sure they'll never let it happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm just going to repost this without comment.To the Dubs who did go today, hope ye enjoyed it. To the rest, don't worry, I'm sure they'll never let it happen again.

Kilkenny played today too. Didn't see one supporter there for a home game all the same. I'm just making this comment while not commenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If you had the balls to take a bet like a mensch Realt, I'd be sending 50 Euro to a charity of your choice!

Not Dublin's fault Laois boycotted the game and only sent the tickets back yesterday!

Fair play to Laois by the way. They kept battling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Stoner wrote: »
    Kilkenny played today too. Didn't see one supporter there for a home game all the same. I'm just making this comment while not commenting.

As I said, if it had sold out, I was happy to admit I was wrong. I also happily admitted KK fans aren't good for going to matches (in hurling), which was the "whataboutery" response of several posters when I pointed out the fact that Dubs fans just aren't bothered to travel. I don't think anyone ever made any claims about KK fans being willing to go to football matches. But we went from this being a definite sell-out, to 20,000 being a good turnout. Interested in the spin now, that's all.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If you had the balls to take a bet like a mensch Realt, I'd be sending 50 Euro to a charity of your choice.

I was thinking of that bet just now actually. Goddamnit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Word of the day dreadful.

Dreadful crowd
    Dreadful Laois
    Dreadful Dublin
    Dreadful PA
    Dreaful sideline official, subs being made while the ball was in play.
    Dreadful half time entertainment.

Highlight of the day.. I'll let you know when I'm home

But Realt you've been portraying Kilkenny as the greatest man-made wonder on Earth, a miracle that should be viewed before death. Surely the attendance shows that Kilkenny is in fact less attractive than Portlaoise.

Portlaoise!! Realt!!!

Less.... attractive..... than..... Portlaoise. Mwah-ha-ha!!

Definitely room for improvement. There are probably weaknesses in

Probably? I'm not sure what passes as definite weakness if conseeding 2-10 against a 14 man team who are extremely poor doesn't

Probably? I'm not sure what passes as definite weakness if conseeding 2-10 against a 14 man team who are extremely poor doesn't

Was just a turn of phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A kilkenny lad giving out about supporters who cant be arsed, sure where would you get it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bit like the Fermanagh game last year

Result never in doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Word of the day dreadful.

Dreadful crowd
    Dreadful Laois
    Dreadful Dublin
    Dreadful PA
    Dreaful sideline official, subs being made while the ball was in play.
    Dreadful half time entertainment.

Highlight of the day.. I'll let you know when I'm home

The 9.30 Booze Cruise to Baile Ath Cliath, pulling out of an staw-shoon, to loud cheers and chants of "Oh-oh-hen-O'Gara, Oh-oh-hen-O'Gara...Hill 16, la la...hill16, la la la...oh-oh-hen-o'gara....

How messy is it? I was talking to station inspector earlier, who was saying they'll have 30 Gardai there as supervisors and 4 coaches as backup.

As I said, if it had sold out, I was happy to admit I was wrong. I also happily admitted KK fans aren't good for going to matches (in hurling), which was the "whataboutery" response of several posters when I pointed out the fact that Dubs fans just aren't bothered to travel. I don't think anyone ever made any claims about KK fans being willing to go to football matches. But we went from this being a definite sell-out, to 20,000 being a good turnout. Interested in the spin now, that's all.

I thought we weren't commenting. Who here was saying it would sell out anyway. It's the first championship game I've even been to that one side boycotted and held tickets back until the last minute. But is say there were still tickets available regardless of that.
    20K is a decent amount of people imo.
    I saw a few but not many laois supporters. There would have been more support of it was in CP alright

But what posters challenged you on that post Realt? Was it here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Why did Laois take 25 minutes to get going and why did it take them 25 minutes to get numbers back and make it difficult for Dublin? Out for a ****ing stroll at the start against the All Ireland champions. WTF? If more of them matched the bite their corner back showed they'd have made a game of it. Disappointing.

Rocks accuracy was amazing.

Stoner wrote: »
    20K is a decent amount of people imo.
    I saw a few but not many laois supporters. There would have been more support of it was in CP alright

Official attendence was less than 17,000

Patser wrote: »
    How messy is it? I was talking to station inspector earlier, who was saying they'll have 30 Gardai there as supervisors and 4 coaches as backup.

30 Gardaí? Seems like total over kill

corny wrote:
    Rocks accuracy was amazing.

He was good alright. I missed both goals due to people standing up. The seats down the front are poor enough.
    I've to watch it again at home
    The sending off was right beside me I saw all that.

I think the occasion and possibly the self generated negativity got to Laois IMO
    I'd say they'll look back and be disappointed with themselves as they grew into the game. Connolly's two quick points killed it I thought, but they put up a tame fight and yet showed they had more in them. They walked on to the pitch already beaten IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

S'not messy at all. The train is rockin' with good humour all around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not like there's a gang war they might be keeping tabs on! A few thousand Dubs going to a match :rolleyes:

When is there ever trouble at a GAA game?

Bambi wrote: »
    A kilkenny lad giving out about supporters who cant be arsed, sure where would you get it :D

How many times is this going to be trotted out? It doesn't make Dublin supporters better, it's just deflecting from what is, by any conceivable measure, a very bad turnout that gives the lie to the idea that Dublin fans are willing to travel but never had the opportunity, which was the claim often made when people whinged about ye always playing in croke park. This event has borne out the opinions of the worst of the whingers.

But Realt you've been portraying Kilkenny as the greatest man-made wonder on Earth, a miracle that should be viewed before death. Surely the attendance shows that Kilkenny is in fact less attractive than Portlaoise.

Portlaoise!! Realt!!!

Less.... attractive..... than..... Portlaoise. Mwah-ha-ha!!

Oh yeah, I'm sure that was why Dublin fans didn't travel, because it wasn't on in wonderful portlaoise. Ye'd have packed it to the rafters I presume. 15000 Dublin fans sat at home today thinking "if only it was in portlaoise..."

Patww79 wrote: »
    Laois send back two thirds of their allocation and Dublin are the problem.

More deflecting. Laois basically disgraced themselves with their carry on all week, I'm delighted ye hammered them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lads, what did I say, the necks would use the attendance to have a pop at Dublins support, just saying.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that was why Dublin fans didn't travel, because it wasn't on in wonderful portlaoise. Ye'd have packed it to the rafters I presume. 15000 Dublin fans sat at home today thinking "if only it was in portlaoise..."

But you harped on that Kilkenny was a pure attraction in its own right.

It was in the end a combination of things that added up.

The 'wrong' place - not that Kilkenny and Nowlan were the problem per se but it annoyed Laois fans enough to boycott it. As I've said petulantly.

The wrong time - this is the biggest issue. A Saturday evening throw in, on a festival bank holiday. Come bank holidays a lot if people have other events on, making a trip less attractive by making travel even harder - yes I know lots if other games have been played on Saturday evenings, it's still an awkward time regardless who plays - in a town already packed with a festival just makes it all less attractive.

Next week Dublin play Kilkenny in O'Moore Park with probably an equally low attendence. Not to be Captain Hindsight here, but surely a double header there or even Nowlan next weekend, when nothing else is on, would've made sense.

It was Leinster Council arrogance, a belief that the novelty of travel would be enough, that lead to today's attendence. It was great craic down there today, but still nothing compared to the Longford trip, maybe the goal after 15 seconds took away any sense of competition, or the lack of opposition support, or the empty stands, or the rush to get heading home. It just had lots of little niggles that undermined it all.

That and the fact to Portlaoise is obviously the more attractive town.....

But you harped on that Kilkenny was a pure attraction in its own right.

It was in the end a combination of things that added up.

The 'wrong' place - not that Kilkenny and Nowlan were the problem per se but it annoyed Laois fans enough to boycott it. As I've said petulantly.

The wrong time - this is the biggest issue. A Saturday evening throw in, on a festival bank holiday. Come bank holidays a lot if people have other events on, making a trip less attractive by making travel even harder - yes I know lots if other games have been played on Saturday evenings, it's still an awkward time regardless who plays - in a town already packed with a festival just makes it all less attractive.

Next week Dublin play Kilkenny in O'Moore Park with probably an equally low attendence. Not to be Captain Hindsight here, but surely a double header there or even Nowlan next weekend, when nothing else is on, would've made sense.

It was Leinster Council arrogance, a belief that the novelty of travel would be enough, that lead to today's attendence. It was great craic down there today, but still nothing compared to the Longford trip, maybe the goal after 15 seconds took away any sense of competition, or the lack of opposition support, or the empty stands, or the rush to get heading home. It just had lots of little niggles that undermined it all.

That and the fact to Portlaoise is obviously the more attractive town.....

Damn you!!!

I agree there's lots of factors but I just don't see any way that this low of an attendance is anything other than a major disappointment. I know it seems like I'm having a go, I'm not (well... maybe a little). I've had more involvement in Dublin gaa than anywhere else and I'm not a split up Dublin type of crank.

Oh I agree, it's a massively disappointing turnout. I really expected it to sell out too, despite the factors I've stated above.

But the Laois boycott coupled with an ever increasing expectation of a walk in the park game, added to the difficulties stated above regards getting to the game, all undermined it.

And the Leinster council have to be worried about the rest if this championship. The Euros kick off next weekend, so that's more attention diverted. The Olympics follow. And with no vibe around the provincial championship attendence will fall further.

They want some attention, rearrange the next matches, and let Dublin play in Meath. A trip into real enemy territory would cause excitement . As opposed to a half full double header in Croker a couple if days after Ireland play last group game in Euros.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree, it's a massively disappointing turnout. I really expected it to sell out too, despite the factors I've stated above.

But the Laois boycott coupled with an ever increasing expectation of a walk in the park game, added to the difficulties stated above regards getting to the game, all undermined it.

And the Leinster council have to be worried about the rest if this championship. The Euros kick off next weekend, so that's more attention diverted. The Olympics follow. And with no vibe around the provincial championship attendence will fall further.

They want some attention, rearrange the next matches, and let Dublin play in Meath. A trip into real enemy territory would cause excitement . As opposed to a half full double header in Croker a couple if days after Ireland play last group game in Euros.

As long as the Leinster championship is still full of **** teams, or they get rid of the provincials as they stand, there's no solution to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Bernard was so poor today, they took him off twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Genuinely expected the attendance to be nearer to 20k or above today, couple of factors I guess, its a bank holiday weekend and the throw in time was not ideal.

Easily 98% of the attendance today was Dublin Driven, and funny 17k attendance which is 6-7k higher than any other championship game so far and people think there is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Photo from the walk to Nowlan park today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

A bit of excitement for them, sure isn't there no such thing as crime outside of Dublin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The GAA should be worried about the rest of the championship as a whole.

All the televised games so far in the football championship have been one sided affairs with the potential for another tomorrow.

We have to go through this dross every single year for the first couple of months of the championship and yet no serious moves are made to change anything. I've never had as little interest in the championship myself and football is my favourite sport but I'm sick to death of constant un-competitive matches and everyone knowing what the problem is and nobody having the balls to even try to do something about it.

Maybe today's ****ty attendance might wake the GAA up and realise part of the problem is that fans don't want to go to games where the result is obvious before the game starts.

Imagine instead of todays game it was Dublin v Mayo and last week it was Kerry v Tyrone and the week before Monaghan v Cork games between reasonably equally matched teams of good quality would increase the interest in the championship. .I'd much rather watch a mediocre quality competitive game than high quality destroying the opposition.

The GAA really need to think about the sport as a whole and not individual provinces or county's interests.I'd sell Offaly down the river if it meant the game itself would thrive but I have a feeling I could be in the minority with that view.

• Advertisement

DDMcG, something should be done , the thing is as far as I'm concerned every game in the league that Dublin played this year was better than the game today.
    I thought Laois surprised themselves when they started to play. They seemed distracted by the boycott, if not it certainly didn't help them and it did Dublin no harm. They had very little support and it made the thing fairly flat apart from the fans singing .

Laois will regret not showing up today, they had more football in them as they showed in patches . IMO they hopped off the bus already beaten.

The GAA should be worried about the rest of the championship as a whole.

All the televised games so far in the football championship have been one sided affairs with the potential for another tomorrow.

We have to go through this dross every single year for the first couple of months of the championship and yet no serious moves are made to change anything. I've never had as little interest in the championship myself and football is my favourite sport but I'm sick to death of constant un-competitive matches and everyone knowing what the problem is and nobody having the balls to even try to do something about it.

Maybe today's ****ty attendance might wake the GAA up and realise part of the problem is that fans don't want to go to games where the result is obvious before the game starts.

Imagine instead of todays game it was Dublin v Mayo and last week it was Kerry v Tyrone and the week before Monaghan v Cork games between reasonably equally matched teams of good quality would increase the interest in the championship. .I'd much rather watch a mediocre quality competitive game than high quality destroying the opposition.

The GAA really need to think about the sport as a whole and not individual provinces or county's interests.I'd sell Offaly down the river if it meant the game itself would thrive but I have a feeling I could be in the minority with that view.

Hurling has the same problem, piles of pointless matches at the start, only gets interesting very late in the year. But the problem is structural. I don't just mean the structure of the championship, even that is just a symptom of the problem with the GAA being too democratic for its own good. Every county votes in their own interest, not the good of the game. And the Offalys of this world don't want to accept they aren't up to standard, so there's no appetite among weaker counties to change the structure to their own exclusion, and no way to run the show in a way that serves the sport instead of vested interests. The way voting is carried out at Congress is, in every sense of the word, ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Good point on the Dublin League games being more competitive and entertaining, to my mind the National league should rank higher in importance rather than the "All Ireland" in both codes. Both Hurling and Football should have 3 divisions of 10/11 (to take account of your Londons and Kilkenny not arsed about football. Matches be played on a home and away basis. Hurling one day of the weekend, football the other and the All Ireland should run as a open draw knockout comp with dedicated weekends throughout the league campaign. Start in 1st week in April end in September. You could extend that by having a mid season break if it was thought appropriate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement