Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic control

• 04-05-2016 8:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

Hello experts
    Some advice needed
    Wonder if could get advice how to control LAN traffic in this setup:

Net1: PC1NIC1(PCIe1Gbps,192.168.2.10/24) <-to-> SWITCH1(1Gbps) <-to-> PC2NIC1(PCIe1Gbps,192.168.2.10/24)(this network: static IP, No DHCP, No DNS, No DefGateway)

Net2: PC1NIC2(buildin100Mbps,192.168.1.x/24) <-to-> SWITCH2(1Gbps) <-to-> PC2NIC2(buildin1Gbps,192.168.1.x/24)(this network: dynamic IP, DHCP, DNS, Gateway)

I would like to have PC1toPC2 traffic to go on Net1 only, and PC1,PC2 to internet to go on Net2 only. As soon Net2 comes alive all go there.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Assuming it's windows, you can set static routes by the interface for the Net1 subnet.
    https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx?mfr=true

something like this for PC1
    route ADD 192.168.2.0/24 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.x if 192.168.2.10
    The default route (through 192.168.1.0/24) will take care of all the rest of the traffic

Same theory for linux. Or, if you have a router in the mix, you can just set up static routes on that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

roast wrote: »
    Assuming it's windows, you can set static routes by the interface for the Net1 subnet.
    https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx?mfr=true

The default route (through 192.168.1.0/24) will take care of all the rest of the traffic

Same theory for linux. Or, if you have a router in the mix, you can just set up static routes on that instead.

If he is talking to the device by its Net1 IP, then windows will choose the interface already in that subnet, so no need for a static route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

roast wrote: »

Thanks, knew something to do with routing tables, wasn't shore about syntax.

If he is talking to the device by its Net1 IP, then windows will choose the interface already in that subnet, so no need for a static route.

Could you please explain to me this: when Net2 is off transfer of the file goes smoothly over Net1, but as soon Net2 is on all traffic diverted to Net 2 and Net1 completely ignored. Routing table show metrics for all interfaces 266

Could you please explain to me this: when Net2 is off transfer of the file goes smoothly over Net1, but as soon Net2 is on all traffic diverted to Net 2 and Net1 completely ignored. Routing table show metrics for all interfaces 266

In theory, your machine would choose the IP that's in a subnet its connected to before routing. So if you are having issues with transferring when Net2 is enabled, its because your machine is transferring to the Net2 IP of the second machine.

Are you even routing from 192.168.2.x to 192.168.1.x?

• Advertisement

In theory, your machine would choose the IP that's in a subnet its connected to before routing. So if you are having issues with transferring when Net2 is enabled, its because your machine is transferring to the Net2 IP of the second machine.

Are you even routing from 192.168.2.x to 192.168.1.x?

Sorry for delayed replay, was away.
    The target I'm trying to achieve is I want local data transfer(PC1 to PC2) to happen over Net1 and any other traffic(internet, other PC and laptops(x2), smartphones, TV's) to talk on Net2.Same time PC1 and PC2 have second NIC's to be on internet over Net2.
    I believe this should be possible in simple manner, but as I stated above Net2 takes priority over and Net1 stays idle. Could it be that happens as Net2 uses build-in NIC's or something else?
    Thanks

So I did
    experiment1 : change static IP to Net1 into 10.10.10.x/24 just in case ....still same effect Net2 takes priority over Net1 and all traffic goes trough Net2.

experiment2: Swap addressing: Net2 10.10.10.x/24(static, build_in NIC's) and Net1 192.168.1.x/24(dynamic, PCIe NIC's, DHCP, DNS, GATEWAY) .... and now i can see traffic separation.No manual changes to routing tables made.
    Any comments??

So I did
    experiment1 : change static IP to Net1 into 10.10.10.x/24 just in case ....still same effect Net2 takes priority over Net1 and all traffic goes trough Net2.

experiment2: Swap addressing: Net2 10.10.10.x/24(static, build_in NIC's) and Net1 192.168.1.x/24(dynamic, PCIe NIC's, DHCP, DNS, GATEWAY) .... and now i can see traffic separation.No manual changes to routing tables made.
    Any comments??

how are you transferring data? Are you using IP, eg SMB transfer to direct IP. Or are you using something like a DNS or netbios name?

how are you transferring data? Are you using IP, eg SMB transfer to direct IP. Or are you using something like a DNS or netbios name?

Sorry, not that advanced with terminology, just remote desktop connection in windows, copy/paste, so TCP/IP. Believe net drive share should work too, gonna check later.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In network connections:

Advanced - Advanced Settings - Default tab

There you can set ordering and windows will auto select the top interface for OUTBOUND connections. Its still possible for clients of its SMB shares etc though to connect on the low priority interface.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    In network connections:

Advanced - Advanced Settings - Default tab

There you can set ordering and windows will auto select the top interface for OUTBOUND connections. Its still possible for clients of its SMB shares etc though to connect on the low priority interface.

Thanks, will have look in to it.

Advertisement