Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A tribute to the Greatest side ever in club football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Il Grande Torino, perished today in 1949.

“The Torino team is no more… it has disappeared…it is burnt…it has exploded”

An English language remembering

http://sabotagetimes.com/sport/il-grande-torino-and-the-tragedy-of-superga

Definitely deserve a tribute - would have thought the Real Madrid '56-'60 team would have to claim the all-time crown, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If this didn't happen and Torino went into the early stages of European competitions as the top side in Italy would they perhaps be a super club today like Juve are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These debates are pointless, can't compare teams from different era's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NIMAN wrote: »
    These debates are pointless, can't compare teams from different era's.

I don't think that's really the point of the thread, despite the title. Just some good, if sad, reading about one of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

In terms of origin, resources and utter glory, it can only be Glasgow Celtic 1966-1967.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Absolutely they would have...Most of the Italian team at the time was comprised of Torino players and the football they played was years ahead of their opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

delaad wrote: »
    In terms of origin, resources and utter glory, it can only be Glasgow Celtic 1966-1967.

Ajax 95 must be better in terms of origin and resource. In an era where money was flying around they managed to build a team that had only 3 foreign players (one only made the bench) outside a top league. A good few of the players went on to win it again at other clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

LeBash wrote: »

Ajax 95 must be better in terms of origin and resource. In an era where money was flying around they managed to build a team that had only 3 foreign players (one only made the bench) outside a top league. A good few of the players went on to win it again at other clubs
    Celtic had players all born within 20 miles of Glasgow bit like Leicester never to be seen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Celtic had players all born within 20 miles of Glasgow bit like Leicester never to be seen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That Celtic win was probably the greatest achievement but it's a fair stretch to say they were the best club side ever. It's like saying this Leicester side is the best EPL side ever purely because it's the biggest achievement of the PL era.

Personally, I can only talk about what I've seen in my lifetime (88 onwards).

I remember being massively impressed by the Juve side of the mid to late 90s but I was a young kid so probably didn't appreciate them properly and can't really say that they were truely amazing 'cause I just don't remember now, just that I liked a lot of their players.

Apart from that, I can't look beyond Barcelona from 2008 onwards. They've been at the top ever since, not just domestically. They've had a few blips here and there but the trophy haul and their play has been insane. I'm more a fan of Luis Enrique's side as opposed to Guardiola's but it's evident that the structure for success that's been built runs a lot deeper in the club.

The Alex Ferguson United side would be up there if it weren't for their (relative/comparative) lack of European success during his reign.

I've seen people mention the Milan side from the early 90s too but I really can't remember that far back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The best team i remember was liverpool c 1986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

AC Milan side from 88-95 or thereabouts were best I saw

Spain 08-12 best International.

But lot of very good sides and cases for plenty

Sadly it seems few read past the title. I am paying an homage to my team, which suffered the greatest disaster to any football club ever (with respect to followers of others clubs which have tragedy, they are not as devastating), at a time when they were the best in the world. From which there never was recovery.

I do not want this old debate about which Milan was better than which Barcelona. It is not the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

embrace.jpg

RIP to them all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pep's Barca or Sacchi's Milan. Don't know enough about the great Madrid team that won all the European Cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That was exactly the reason why they could do what they did, only 3 foreigners allowed.
    Clubs from smaller leagues were able to keep their players just a bit longer than they can now. Added to that a rather exceptional generation all coming through in 1 go.

Dutch players left at age 25 or thereabout.
    Seedorf leaving at 19 was a rare thing.
    Nowadays players age 15 are robbed from the youth academies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sadly it seems few read past the title. I am paying an homage to my team, which suffered the greatest disaster to any football club ever (with respect to followers of others clubs which have tragedy, they are not as devastating), at a time when they were the best in the world. From which there never was recovery.

I do not want this old debate about which Milan was better than which Barcelona. It is not the point.

I think to be fair you worded the title badly, and I see you have since changed it, and it makes more sense now.

Perhaps if you called it a Tribute to Torino FC it would not spark debates about if Barca are better than Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Grande Torino were a legendary team, remember reading in Calcio by John Foot that in one match they went 6-0 up in the first 20 minutes and at half time their manager told the team to take it easy on the opposition. They won 7-0 in the end. As the article said The loss of Grande Torino set Italian football back 20 years.

Torino are a fascinating club with a lot of tragedy in their history. They also lost another legendary player in Gigi Meroni in a car accident in 1968 and the stadium in which Il Grande Torino played in was never redeveloped and despite a few attempts to redevelop which failed due to money issues and some dodgy owners it is a wreck.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think to be fair you worded the title badly, and I see you have since changed it, and it makes more sense now.

Perhaps if you called it a Tribute to Torino FC it would not spark debates about if Barca are better than Milan.

Or you might have read the post in the first.

I did not change the title

Advertisement