Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I ain't gots no gamer friends

• 04-05-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Long story short, i don't have gamer friends, and this bugs me.

It means i can't play factorio with anyone, build a base in Rust, joke about Rocket League, etc etc.
    Most people are sceptical about an unknown entity joining their group for games like Rust, because they tend to wreck the place.

So my question, given that none of my friends are gamers, and given that strangers distrust strangers, How do i find people to play with ? Are there gaming hookup sites, etc?

I want to find a group of lads/ladettes i can rely on to have a blast with. Sick of being lone wolf in multiplayer games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What I did was find someone with lots of gamer friends, stalk him for a couple months and then killed him and stole his identity. Some of them were suspicious but I don't think they wanted to risk playing CSGO with a four-man team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm in the same boat. A few of my friends are gamers but we all have very different tastes. A good solution is to join a forum dedicated to a particular game that interests you and get chatting to people there. You'll probably find people willing to team up and if you enjoy playing together you can branch out to other games too. Worked for me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Try right here!

A load of us used to play Payday 2 together. Why not see if you can't organize something right here, right now?

I have Rocket League, and if called upon, can drive ineffectually at the ball and fail miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Found a few mates through here that have become the daily group that I play with.

Games we play vary, but most times we default back to League of Legends.
    Also playing Factorio, PayDay 2, Diablo 3, AOE2, and random stuff.

We chat over skype and have a laugh. none of us take gaming seriously, and we just play for the craic.
    Always open to adding new people to the group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I'm in the same boat.

I tend to avoid multiplayer games for this reason. I should probably just pick one game and stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Marlon_s_1

same here. moved to Dublin last year and found it difficult to meet gamer friends... im on PC playing DOTA2, Path of Exile... but would be amazing to play Tekken on PS3/4!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

if up for few games of rocket league give a shout my way, be playing too many random matches lately :)

Steam : mad_ma84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

My problem is that I'm old. I was going to get involved with the GameSoc in Uni, but I just felt like a creepy perv. Well, moreso than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Dair76 wrote: »
    My problem is that I'm old. I was going to get involved with the GameSoc in Uni, but I just felt like a creepy perv. Well, moreso than usual.

39? 40? Hardly old. You need to get over that. 40 is going to look pretty young when you get to 60. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am lucky that I still got my gang from vanilla wow times. We don't even play wow anymore for years, we still friends and play on pc all the time. Even if we don't play, we still come on vent. All lads originally from North, but some live in England. We are all real life friends too, in fact I was in Northern Ireland 2 weeks ago for one of the lads stag party where we all gathered up.
    Even Boardsie joined our group too and he is regular lad. It all started from space engineer.

Now I am a Warframe player and Eoan from boards became my Boardsie Warframe buddy. I got on with his gang and we all playing together on ps4.
    Miskyboy from boards.ie is my xbox one buddy now. If I play something on xbox I play with him. He was my buddy in arms in rust for very long time.
    I play a lot of monster hunter 4 on 3ds, me and UberPrinny_Baal planing on meeting up in Cork for some monster hunter Co op madness with a cup of coffee.

What I am trying to say: I don't have real life friend gamers, but it's easy to find them, specially when you got places like boards.ie. You can find people to play with very easy.

• Advertisement

39? 40? Hardly old. You need to get over that. 40 is going to look pretty young when you get to 60. :P

Well, there was supposed to be a tongue in cheek tone to my post that was missed. I certainly don't consider myself to be "old". But in relative terms, it's definitely a factor in finding a consistent group of people to play regularly with.

Maybe I need to look for a clan aimed at the more seasoned gamer. Or start one? "Build it and they will come". See...? Creepy perv. :D

I never said I was treated worse as an older gamer, or that my age was an issue for other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Think myself it's harder to find a group to play PC games with, I play with a group of lads on PlayStation for the last 5/6 years and have been on PC 2 years and only just met some lads, we play Arma, the division euro truck as a group but even just jumping into team speak for a laugh while playing different games is good,
    The group age wise ranges from 16 up to 35 but it's not been any kinda issue, all light hearted craic

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I never said you said anything. I'm aiming venom at this comment: "But in relative terms, it's definitely a factor in finding a consistent group of people to play regularly with."

Simply because it's not true. Well, in general. It may be true for you at the moment depending on who you're mixing with - but on a general scope, it's not wise to believe this is the norm. Attitude you described reminds me of elitists looking to form ubr srs bsns clans and only want very specific people, not casual gaming. Then again, it's no secret that 65% of people you meet in games will act like total muppets because they can. Ultimately, age is the least of anyone's concerns in mostly any game.

It is true for me. I can't and won't speak for other people. And I've deliberately left my own circumstances and specific experiences out of the conversation because no, they are not the norm. So yeah, there are a few blanks there. Mea culpa. But if you reckon a couple of vague, self deprecating posts are deserving of your "venom", I'll leave you to it.

Sorry for the derailment CruelCoin, and good luck with the search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Problem I have is while I did have plenty of RL gamer friends through my teens and early 20's, life happens and you grow apart, move away, have families etc so you don't speak to them as much or in some cases, at all anymore. If you are into online MP, this isnt such an issue and you will always collect new people, but online MP isn't my bag (apart from a couple of co-op games). I just get nothing from the endless repetition of fps shooters and MMORPGs dont interest me. So gaming becomes a very much solo SP experience. I miss couch PES sessions the most.

I mostly play CSGO. If someone communicates well and isn't a dick, I'll add them. Now and then I'll try get 5 together from the motley crew on my friends list. I'd often get invites back from doing this. Some of which I end up playing regularly with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Now I am a Warframe player and Eoan from boards became my Boardsie Warframe buddy. I got on with his gang and we all playing together on ps4.
    Miskyboy from boards.ie is my xbox one buddy now. If I play something on xbox I play with him. He was my buddy in arms in rust for very long time.
    I play a lot of monster hunter 4 on 3ds, me and UberPrinny_Baal planing on meeting up in Cork for some monster hunter Co op madness with a cup of coffee.

Oh so that's how it is huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I like to breakdance my cars in Rocket League, my steam ID is in my sig :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Dair76 wrote: »
    Well, there was supposed to be a tongue in cheek tone to my post that was missed. I certainly don't consider myself to be "old". But in relative terms, it's definitely a factor in finding a consistent group of people to play regularly with.

Maybe I need to look for a clan aimed at the more seasoned gamer. Or start one? "Build it and they will come". See...? Creepy perv. :D

If your interested in joining a group I cam help out. I met a good group of gamers through boards. They range from 12 to 60 and we play a good variety of stuff. Rocket league, arma 3, r6 siege, FIFA and whatever people have in their games list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Oh so that's how it is huh?

**** you and your flares!!! Still got nightmares! Waking up in cold sweat, looking around my bed if there are those bright red lights!

• Advertisement
Advertisement