Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath - Retirement

Options
  • 04-05-2016 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Where would you recommend for a couple retiring to Meath. We have a budge of approx 160-170k to buy a property, only want something small maybe a 2 bed house but not an apartment. One of us drives but the other would like somewhere with some transport options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Meath is a large county so you'd need to try and narrow your search.

It all depends on what Transport options you're looking for.
    Are you looking for transport to and from Dublin, or between towns in Meath.
    Are you looking to be near shops, restaurants, bars?
    Do you want to live in a rural setting or in a housing estate?
    Do you want to be nearer Dublin (e.g. Dunboyne, Clonee)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Well it would depend on where our budget would get us a property. We would like to live somewhere with a good transport link to Dublin and it would be great to live somewhere within walking distance to shops and bars etc so I expect a rural setting is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Maybe I'm biased, but I always think Trim is a nice place to retire. Nice restaurants, pubs, Castle, shops, etc.

E.g. http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/39-de-lacy-crescent-trim-co-meath/3484309

You're a few mins to the bus stop (111 from Trim to Dublin) and walking distance to Lidl and SuperValu. Also the Porchfield is a stone's throw from here if you want to walk.

chewed wrote: »
    Maybe I'm biased, but I always think Trim is a nice place to retire. Nice restaurants, pubs, Castle, shops, etc.

E.g. http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/39-de-lacy-crescent-trim-co-meath/3484309

You're a few mins to the bus stop (111 from Trim to Dublin) and walking distance to Lidl and SuperValu. Also the Porchfield is a stone's throw from here if you want to walk.

Thanks, is it a quiet town we would not want anywhere rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Another vote for Trim, it has regular busses to Dublin, is a quiet enough town and lots of historical places to visit all nearby

• Advertisement

Another vote for Trim, it has regular busses to Dublin, is a quiet enough town and lots of historical places to visit all nearby

Only thing is there does not seem to be many houses for sale for our budget of circa 170k, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Only thing is there does not seem to be many houses for sale for our budget of circa 170k, shame.

I'd imagine due to the attraction of the town...! :o

You could also look at Kildalkey/Rathmolyon as alternatives which wouldn't be too far from Trim and are equally as tranquil

I'd imagine due to the attraction of the town...! :o

You could also look at Kildalkey/Rathmolyon as alternatives which wouldn't be too far from Trim and are equally as tranquil

Thanks for that, will take a look at them but a larger town would be better for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

plenty of housing in your budget in Navan, unfortunately most are in estates that could be construed as rough.

Why on earth move to Meath? If it were I retiring I would rent near a rail link somewhere nicer and get rid of the car. Meath's bus service is expensive. I drive and get the train at M3 Parkway as it is much quicker and reliable. You should try and get housing near to station and rent if possible in a rural location within dring distance of M3 Parkway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

If you're interested fast broadband, I'd avoid ribbon developments because it very costly to provide fast broadband to homes outside of cities, towns and villages. So if you're concerned by that, aim for a urban areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement