Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Crèche and the barriers?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 11:38am

I'm thinking about sending my child to the UCD crèche largely for the space/woodlands walks they have. I'll be coming from Blackrock each morning and going to Ranelagh so I'm wondering would it be possible to drive straight to the crèche from the Owenstown entrance (Foster Avenue) or even the Roebuck entrance between 7:30-8:30am, or will a barrier be in place? If I have to drive to Clonskeagh it's going to add 20 minutes or so to my journey and as the crèche doesn't open until 7:45 this would be leaving it tight for work. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

All the barriers will be down at that time. I don't know where the creche is on campus but you'll have a problem if you want to drive in the 'wrong' gate to get to the creche. Sometimes they ease up with the barriers a bit over the summer but it'd be the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JK2015

You might not not be able to drive all the way to the creche, but depending on where you park after coming in the Roebuck entrance, it wouldnt be too long of a walk over to the creche (easily less than 10 mins).

Does anybody know where exactly the Roebuck road entrance that you can *drive* into UCD is? I drove down Roebuck road this morning but couldn't find it and the
    UCD map wasn't that helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Does anybody know where exactly the Roebuck road entrance that you can *drive* into UCD is? I drove down Roebuck road this morning but couldn't find it and the
    UCD map wasn't that helpful.

There are only pedestrian entrances off Roebuck road, you'd have to drive in the Owenstown gate (off Fosters Avenue) or the Clonskeagh entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm not entirely sure where the barriers are these days, does the barrier behind quinn still close? If you can drive as far as the observatory car park it's a 5 minute walk (max) to the creche.

I just checked their, and just to confirm, you can get as far as the observatory car park from the owenstown (fosters Avenue) gate. From there it's a short walk to the creche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The barriers these days are just past the Centra towards the main N11 gate and there's two closing off a section of the road behind the library and the Ag carpark.

Short answer is you can't drive through to the creche from any entrance other than the Clonskeagh road entrances. You can get close by coming in off Fosters avenue and driving to just past the Belgrove residences, there's an access road to the left just before the barrier, that goes to the Magnetic Observatory carpark and continues towards the creche. You can only get close though - it's permanently barriered shut further up so you can't go all the way. Also, if time getting to work is an issue, this is no good as you would have to backtrack all the way to Fosters Avenue get to Ranelagh.

TBH, if your final destination is Ranelagh, I would have thought Clonskeagh road would be your best bet anyway? Blackrock dual carriageway, Fosters Avenue, Clonskeagh road and a quick detour in and out the dedicated Creche entrance road to the right of the Wynnsward Drive gate. Coming back out it's a straight shot to Ranelagh from Clonskeagh.

Advertisement