Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become an architectural designer?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I'm wondering what way is the best/easiest way to becoming a residential designer?

I understand that the path to becoming a fully qualified architect is very long and arduous so is it possible to become a house designer a different way

One way in which I was thinking was to become an architectural technologist then to study a masters in BIM or something similar. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I hope that someone with some more expertise can answer this question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The designing, drawing and getting planning permission isn't exactly difficult. Where it gets messy is when construction starts and you have to sign off on building regulations and BCAR. Some banks and mortgages require BCAR so some clients will need you to sign off but without proper qualifications you won't be able to provide this.

Guessing by your username your in your early 20's so why not study architecture? If you plan on doing it for another 40 years what difference is another year or two in college when you're young? Architectural technology is three years and if you were to study a masters in BIM after then you'd have completed architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Dudda wrote: »
    The designing, drawing and getting planning permission isn't exactly difficult. Where it gets messy is when construction starts and you have to sign off on building regulations and BCAR. Some banks and mortgages require BCAR so some clients will need you to sign off but without proper qualifications you won't be able to provide this.

Guessing by your username your in your early 20's so why not study architecture? If you plan on doing it for another 40 years what difference is another year or two in college when you're young? Architectural technology is three years and if you were to study a masters in BIM after then you'd have completed architecture.

Architectural technology is four years for the level 8

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

I read this post and it reminded me of a young naïve me about 20 years ago...!!!

Speaking from personal experience I struggled with the same choice and I ultimately decided on a HND in Arch Technology, a choice that I didn't regret even though I had and still have a keen interest in Architecture. Ive been lucky with employment since and went back to do a part time degree in engineering a number of years ago and I found this route worked quite well for me - i.e. do a basic course as a grounding, work for a few years and see where your interest lies/develops then go back and to a full time or part time degree/masters.

Architecture is a big commitment from the outset (few alternative avenues to take during the course) and I would advise that unless you are passionate about this topic and have a good artistic aptitude then you might be best suited to a career in architectural technology (note this is no less of a commitment and not in any way a 'lesser' career choice - in fact you will probably find it much easier to get employment as a technologist and will even earn better money at least in the first few years of employment). There is a huge overlap in both paths but (very) generally Architecture will tend to focus on design and spatial arrangement whereas Technologists will focus on the details and how to construct the building

Everyone is different, the challenge for you is to try and get some work experience in an architectural practice, see how it operates speak to the technologists and architects and see where your interest lies...you mentioned "house designer" in your original post, this is very focused and only a small part of the potential service offered by an architect or technologist - there is much more involved in the roles and you will need to understand the additional add on services required (e.g BCAR as mentioned above, energy performance, product and material specification, contractual issues, project management etc) in order to be successful in your chosen path...

In my opinion if you have an interest in BIM then this would indicate that Arch Tech role would be the correct career choice - this fits well with the detailing and specification of a building not necessarily the design.

All that said the years go by all too quickly and on reflection 20 years or more from now :) you will realize that whatever course you do is largely irrelevant - its the experience you gain, the people you meet and engage with, the challenges you face and overcome and of course a little bit of good luck!

Whatever you decide, good luck in your chosen career!

Advertisement