Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to learn to built a website - need direction

Options
  • 04-05-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi, i'm looking to learn how to build a simple website, but with a specific feature that I will describe below. I'm giving myself a year to learn the basics and have this up and running and the plan is to continously improve it afterwards and learn how to and create an app with corresponding content.

so here's the feature I need to include into the website:
    there items that pair with certain other items but cannot be paired with few different items, as so:

1 pairs with A, B and C but you cant pair it with Z
    2 pairs with D, E and F but you cant pair it with Y
    3 pairs with G, 1 and F but you cant pair it with 2
    and so on... there would be a lot of items, but obviously the size of database is irrelevant once the algorythm is right.
    I have 3, A, Z, O, P, 1, 9, H,... - a definitive number of items.
    When I get to the website I want to be able to select items that i have and the website to display groups of items that can go together.

What do I need to learn in order to be able to create such function?

Once I have this sorted, I'll be looking at ways how to present it visually.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Have got any programming experience ?

Have you used HTML ?

if not check out code academy or sing up to Treehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

mach1982 wrote: »
    Have got any programming experience ?

Have you used HTML ?

if not check out code academy or sing up to Treehouse
    cheers! no, no experience at all but really willing to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Developing websites requires a lot of different skills and technologies. There's the HTML & CSS for presentation, then the client side Javascript, and then you have the server side programming languages such as Java, C#, and PHP. You'll usually have a database which uses SQL too.

Prepare yourself for a long road to learning how to do it, and the truth is that you never stop learning as techniques and technologies continue to evolve at a rapid pace.

I would start with the basics of HTML and CSS. Then start looking at the server side and database. You can then start learning Javascript to glue the client and server and to provide a level of "slickness" to your websites.

I'm biased because I'm a .Net developer but you can get everything you need in a fantastic development environment for free from Microsoft over here.

Advertisement