Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Griezmann

• 04-05-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

What do ye think if him? Would you rate him in the top 5 or top 3 strikers in the world? He will be France's main man up front in the euros. I myself would have him top 3, behind Suarez and Kane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What do ye think if him? Would you rate him in the top 5 or top 3 strikers in the world? He will be France's main man up front in the euros. I myself would have him top 3, behind Suarez and Kane.
    Griezmann is brilliant but I wouldn't have Harry Kane ahead of Lewandowski, Aguero or Ibrahimovic...

Griezmann is brilliant but I wouldn't have Harry Kane ahead of Lewandowski, Aguero or Ibrahimovic...

Or Higuain, Benzema, Cavani..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah I forgot about aguero, so yeah, aguero ahead of Kane. Not sure about ibrahimovic and lewandoski, ibra plays in a piss poor league and whenever i see lewandoski he is always on the floor, 2012 euros he didnt get a kick.

Or Higuain, Benzema, Cavani..........

Those three you have just named are not ahead of Kane, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Yeah I forgot about aguero, so yeah, aguero ahead of Kane. Not sure about ibrahimovic and lewandoski, ibra plays in a piss poor league and whenever i see lewandoski he is always on the floor, 2012 euros he didnt get a kick.

You ain't seen much of Lewandowski if you rate Kane higher than him. I know people say opinions can't be wrong but....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kane better than Griezmann lol. Griezmann is not a striker either more of a forward more similar to Neymar & Bale.

jive wrote: »
    You ain't seen much of Lewandowski if you rate Kane higher than him. I know people say opinions can't be wrong but....!

Haha fair enough, we'll have them 4th and 5th in an interchangeable way, would you have griezmann ahead of lewandoski?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kane better than Griezmann lol. Griezmann is not a striker either more of a forward more similar to Neymar & Bale.

Griezmann doesnt play as wide as those two, he plays down the middle with torres usually.

I think Ibrahimovic's record across multiple leagues, and even Europe this season, speak for themselves. Good players can play in poor leagues, doesn't make them less good. The things that man can do to a ball, Harry Kane can only dream of.

Lewandowski is fond of a dive, yes. So is Gareth Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo....doesn't change their ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Kane in the top 3 in the world!!!!! Haha! Will you ever get out of here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If you are counting him as a striker then you should be counting Messi,Neymar and Ronaldo as well.
    Griezeman usually plays from the wing or behind main striker and that where he will be for France.

I think Ibrahimovic's record across multiple leagues, and even Europe this season, speak for themselves. Good players can play in poor leagues, doesn't make them less good. The things that man can do to a ball, Harry Kane can only dream of.

Lewandowski is fond of a dive, yes. So is Gareth Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo....doesn't change their ability.

Yes he can do great things with a ball, but can he finish as well as Kane? Also Im going on current form.Strikers are there for goals really. And Yeah I guess that kind if blinds my perception of lewandoski.

Kane in the top 3 in the world!!!!! Haha! Will you ever get out of here!!

He has to be up there, the man has now proven it across two seasons.

Yes he can do great things with a ball, but can he finish as well as Kane? Also Im going on current form.Strikers are there for goals really. And Yeah I guess that kind if blinds my perception of lewandoski.
    He certainly can, as you say weak league but he's comfortably the top scorer in it. Well over a goal a game. I include goals in the "great things with a ball", his improvisation in front of goal is second to none.

By the way I just want to say for the record that I am not a Spurs fan haha.

Kane at a push might make top 10 in the world but it's a big push..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Griezmann and Kane are both excellent still underrated strikers. Aubameyang, Higuain, and Benzema are all excellent strikers too.

Suarez the obvious choice in any conversation about a number 9 type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

By the way I just want to say for the record that I am not a Spurs fan haha.

Are you the chairman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What really pi**ed me off last night on BT was the commentators saying Atletico will struggle to keep Griezmann if a big team comes in for him, totally downplaying what Atletico currently are, one of world footballs great sides :confused:

Are you the chairman?

Kane being in the elite level of strikers is not something to mock. He has 46 goals and counting for this season and last (when he started getting a chance at Spurs really). This is serious going in a league like the Premier League where getting 30 goals in a season is exceptionally hard to achieve.

Especially for a striker who offers as much outside of just goals like Kane. Great movement, pace, strength, gives a dig out at the back when required. I'm not saying he is top 2, 3 or anything like that, but if you're showing me a number 9 whose 2nd name isn't Suarez, and telling me this guy is in another world to Kane, then I'm forced to accuse you of being one of these guys who think the grass is always greener on the other side. Aguero is 2nd. Lewandowski is 3rd and then you've a group of guys like Benzema, Kane, Griezmann, Ibra, Aubameyang, Higuain, who are all excellent strikers scoring loads of goals and belong in the same conversations IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Annoying but in fairness, in recent years they let Falcao and Costa go when the money was put up for them so it's not a big stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Griezmann i would rate very highly mainly due to the potential to improve.

Right now top 3 strikers are suarez, augero and levondoski

I dont think kane is up there yet he will be with griezmann in that the potential is there. I would rate griezmann higher than kane as he is a better all round player.

Annoying but in fairness, in recent years they let Falcao and Costa go when the money was put up for them so it's not a big stretch of the imagination.

Financial situation will only be improving after getting to the latter stages of the Champions League 3 years in a row id say though. Chelsea and Monaco won't be feeling like they're quite such a lure anymore. You're really only looking at the big 4 now IMO. Barca, Bayern, Real and PSG. The others would have to pay insane amounts to make them palatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Haha fair enough, we'll have them 4th and 5th in an interchangeable way, would you have griezmann ahead of lewandoski?

I'd probably take Lewandowski as he can do a job up top on his own whereas Griezmann wouldn't be as good at that; great player though just not a lone ranger type striker.

Gun to my head my top 3 would be Suarez, Aguero, Lewandowski... in that order. Excluding the likes of Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo etc. who are not strictly strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Griezmann was 9/1 to be top scorer at the Euros when Benzema's exclusion from the French squad was announced - I jumped on it

He may not be in the top 3, or even top 5 - he is definitely in the top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

CSF wrote: »
    Kane being in the elite level of strikers is not something to mock. He has 46 goals and counting for this season and last (when he started getting a chance at Spurs really). This is serious going in a league like the Premier League where getting 30 goals in a season is exceptionally hard to achieve.

Especially for a striker who offers as much outside of just goals like Kane. Great movement, pace, strength, gives a dig out at the back when required. I'm not saying he is top 2, 3 or anything like that, but if you're showing me a number 9 whose 2nd name isn't Suarez, and telling me this guy is in another world to Kane, then I'm forced to accuse you of being one of these guys who think the grass is always greener on the other side. Aguero is 2nd. Lewandowski is 3rd and then you've a group of guys like Benzema, Kane, Griezmann, Ibra, Aubameyang, Higuain, who are all excellent strikers scoring loads of goals and belong in the same conversations IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I am not mocking the idea of him being considered an elite level striker - just that he could be considered being towards the very top echelon already.

I really admire Kane and what he offers, which i feel is what is required from any top level striker these days and I am looking forward to the Euros this Summer where he has a great chance to continue his form on a massive stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You'll find the same lads that laughed at the suggestion Bale would attract the attention of the big clubs will be doing the same with Kane.
    If he doesn't have a fancy foreign name well he can't be that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What really pi**ed me off last night on BT was the commentators saying Atletico will struggle to keep Griezmann if a big team comes in for him, totally downplaying what Atletico currently are, one of world footballs great sides :confused:

No reason to be pissed off, they generally sell their best players when money comes in for them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

He's decent enough, but Jon Obi Mikel would just shade it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's scored more match winning goals this season than Ronaldo and Messi combined.

He's a beast.
    If, and that's and if any other team were to get him I would expect 60 - 100 million would be required at this stage.
    Simeone has proven he can somehow keep this team challenging when his teams have been stripped apart during summer transitions so I don't think it would be a huge loss to Athletico as long as Simeone stays at the helm.
    But to Gavs point very hard to see him move away from one of the best teams in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's a beast.
    If, and that's and if any other team were to get him I would expect 60 - 100 million would be required at this stage.
    Simeone has proven he can somehow keep this team challenging when his teams have been stripped apart during summer transitions so I don't think it would be a huge loss to Athletico as long as Simeone stays at the helm.
    But to Gavs point very hard to see him move away from one of the best teams in the world.

Yes the time to get him was when he left Sociedad. He went to Athletico then and I must admit I was a little surprised at the time, but his choice has been fully vindicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

But weren't those two owned by one of those investment companies that in effect lend them out to clubs ?

Falcao was supposedly owned by the Doyen Sports group who cashed in by moving him on.
    Jorge Mendes and Peter Kenyon were/are both involved with Doyen.

Porto and Atletico both avail of Falcao's services before they are moved on for big money.

Jorge Mendes was the guy that brought Costa to Europe (Braga) and had hand in his transfer to Atletico and had a stake in his rights AFAIK.

I am not allowed discuss …

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    No reason to be pissed off, they generally sell their best players when money comes in for them.

Not that, every player has a price of course but the fact they were dismissing Atletico as anything but a big team was strange and down right idiotic, although Owen was one of the commentators so that goes some way to explaining it.

Griezmann was 9/1 to be top scorer at the Euros when Benzema's exclusion from the French squad was announced - I jumped on it

He may not be in the top 3, or even top 5 - he is definitely in the top 10

Double it up with France to win it and I've seen 20's banded about, thats where my money is going anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I find him a bit lightweight. More of a winger than a fully blown forward. I wouldn't like to see my team spending any significant money on him. People go all nuts cos he scored yesterday but he's a 20 goals a season man. Very good of course but that hardly makes him a top 3 in the world striker.

Mostly he gets bandied about because the EPL needs new expensive names to feed to the hype machine. As we're running out of names - as the machine gobbles them up so quickly - someone like griezmann becomes a 50m target. Is he likely to make as much of an impact as for example Depay who is mostly known for his tattoos and his expensive car? 50% chance of that at least.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Well no better customer than them.
    They can add him to their list of 50m+ megastars like Depay and Martial. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Double it up with France to win it and I've seen 20's banded about, thats where my money is going anyway.

Just checked there and that's still 22/1 with PP. Can be got as big as 33/1 with William Hill. Think that's where my money will go too, I was going to back France anyway.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well no better customer than them.
    They can add him to their list of 50m+ megastars like Depay and Martial. :pac:

Depay suddenly cost 50m+ :o

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    I find him a bit lightweight. More of a winger than a fully blown forward. I wouldn't like to see my team spending any significant money on him. People go all nuts cos he scored yesterday but he's a 20 goals a season man. Very good of course but that hardly makes him a top 3 in the world striker.

Mostly he gets bandied about because the EPL needs new expensive names to feed to the hype machine. As we're running out of names - as the machine gobbles them up so quickly - someone like griezmann becomes a 50m target. Is he likely to make as much of an impact as for example Depay who is mostly known for his tattoos and his expensive car? 50% chance of that at least.

I don't really get it. Depay was a player who was ripping up the Dutch league and had a couple of good games in the World Cup. Griezmann has been consistently outstanding in La Liga and the Champions League against the best teams in the world. He's not even remotely unproven.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I don't really get it. Depay was a player who was ripping up the Dutch league and had a couple of good games in the World Cup. Griezmann has been consistently outstanding in La Liga and the Champions League against the best teams in the world. He's not even remotely unproven.

Theres only one way to really prove this, FIFA and beers and lets get to the test :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fantastic player, great eye for goal, works incredibly hard, he would be an asset to any team. He should stay where he is, he is playing at a real top club challenging on all fronts. Only reason to move would be higher wages.

On the top 3 thing, no he isn't up there probably pushing Top 10 with the likes of Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Being a United fan, he might be open to a move to Old Trafford.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Being a United fan, he might be open to a move to Old Trafford.

I can't imagine anything more attractive than moving from Champions League winners or runners up to Europa League playing in front of Fellaini ;)

It is really impossible to say where any one player is in terms of top 3 or top 10 or whatever. We tend not to see much of other leagues than whats on Sky/Bt and that will skew the picture. Also how good a forward is largely depends on the team they're playing for and the opposition they're playing against. Griezmann is consistently being very good. But someone gets an important goal or does something that stands out and next day he is the target of an insane money battle next summer according to the usual suspects (media). I just don't like that hype sh1t very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/942488799485054976

Wow. I'd imagine his agent had kittens when he saw that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Someone must have hit "overdrive" on the tanning machine.

blueser wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/942488799485054976

Wow. I'd imagine his agent had kittens when he saw that!

Is that considered racist these days? Don't think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement