Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same builder, same price. Rapid houses Ballymun V large houses in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

athtrasna wrote: »

Would the builders of the Dublin scheme be coming all the way from Tyrone or are they local- the cost of living in Dublin is much higher, so they would have higher wages and a result higher construction costs. Even if they are not local, it is going to cost more to get out to Ballymun than to somewhere local to Tyrone, that costs money.

Where do the materials come from? Again, if bought in the Republic/Dublin, we are a richer country so cost of living is higher, so goods and services the builders need to buy will be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where does the material come from, how much does the transport of said material cost, and how much to store the material?

Also, how much is the labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I know that a huge part of building cost is labour. So what makes it cheaper in the north. I know we have a minimum wage specific to the construction industry. Do they?

Edit:looked it up, its roughly 9 Euros in the north, no special rates for construction.
    Its roughly between 14 to 17 Euros in Ireland depending on the experience/job at the minimum.

I wouldn't say its unrealistic that wage costs are close to double in Southern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Why are we outsourcing a lot of construction work to the north?

Loads of building sites I have been on gap northern regs.

We have plenty of capable people from the south who could do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've worked for this company before (under a sub contractor).

The foremen travel up and down every day. The work is mostly subbed out to ROI contractors.

Any materials are delivered to site from ROI builders merchants.

The lads work long hours - we've done several schools and it wasn't uncommon for the foremen to work a straight 9 weeks including Saturday and Sunday.

Obviously the contracts went out to tender and Western must have been competitive.

Prices are going mad again - we were on a small job that required a plumber to fit 2 new toilets and a shower. Water was beside him and the waste pipe needed to drop through a floor to join an existing pipe. Cheapest quote was €3400 ranging to over €5000!! The client has since looked at revising his layout!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

JustTheOne wrote: »

We have plenty of capable people from the south who could do the job.

You haven't.

There is a huge shortage of construction workers. Very few young lads have taken up apprenticeships in the last 7 or 8 years and a lot of the foreign lads went home when the work dried up in 08 -09.

Added to the fact that a good few lads have seen the reasonable sum of welfare for sitting at home with a few kids and medical cards, rent allowance etc and have figured out that going back into construction won't pay (rates have been slashed from the start of the recession).

Advertisement