Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chronicles of Elyria - MMORPG with aging & death

• 04-05-2016 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging?ref=nav_search

Ok first off, it's a kickstarter project.
    I know. I know. Run away!

But I love some of the ideas they are putting forward.

- Your character ages and eventually dies. It takes 10 - 14 real-world months but in that time you try to leave your mark on the world. If you are reckless or eat poorly then you age quicker.
    - Family mechanics. You are born into a family of stall merchants, or a kingdom dynasty. Your choice.
    - Players write the quests. If you need a certain material in a far away city, why not dispatch a messenger to travel there for you.
    - No world map. Players can be cartographers and write maps for certain areas. You could buy a treasure map from another player and hope that his mates aren't waiting at the X ready to jump you.
    - Your character remains in-game when you log off. Leave him to run the shop and keep it defended.

It could be a money grab. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"We also promised to only go to Kickstarter once we had a playable demo (combat demo released at PAX East) and substantial development to show."

*doesn't share demo on kickstarter or make it available to the public in any format*

I remember these guys talking about this three years ago or so - I was dubious then and I'm dubious now. Some interesting ideas in there but I'll wait until it's out before they get a penny I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How on earth is allowing players to make quests an immersion breaker? Surely better than being given the same job five thousand other people got from the exact same NPC with the exact same pre-recorded lines. Being given reward within a closed economy in exchange for a task that genuinely helps someone surely makes more sense in the game world than doing nonsensical busy work for a hollow NPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Very cool that you get to view it from a different angle.

I agree with you that a quest editor tool would break the immersion.
    But I like the idea of contracts that are posted in the world for all players to see. A blacksmith needs 10 iron ore so posts a contract for a player to go to a valley and mine it. A map maker needs to reach a certain area so that he can study the area, but a dragon blocks the only bridge into that area. He posts a contract for a warrior to go slay the dragon and open the passage etc.

Give players a list of quest types to post, rather than write them from scratch.
    A sandbox rpg / life-sim of sorts.

Advertisement