Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year old waking and emotional

Options
  • 04-05-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

My 4 year old boy keeps waking at night and when we go into him hes do emotional he sometimes doesn't let us near him..I know this could be nightmares but lately every night he's waking and being so grumpy that there's no reasoning with him. His dad works long hours and I think this could be a problem as he only sees him for 5 mins at bedtime..so its a vicious circle as he's tired all the time and grumpy then not sleeping well! Also this week he had a pain in his tummy but really exaggerated it and now wakes saying he has a pain when he really doesn't..anyone experience any of this before

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 3 year old sometimes wakes up kicking and screaming and there is no talking to or reasoning with him and he wants me but also wants me to go away .
    He does it in his sleep sometimes too ,he would rarely do anything similar during the day .
    I have no idea about why as nothing has changed and I put it down to age .

Is he used to seeing Daddy in the evening ? Would extra time at the weekend help ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

He could be having night terrors or he could actually not be fully awake and not aware of what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

Thanks for the replies..yeah he normally sees daddy for a lot more but he's working later this weather..hopefully it's a phase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My now 4 year old does this from time to time, it used to be every night. I discovered he needed to loo but wasn't awake enough to communicate. I don't speak to him, instead I just lift him to the bathroom and back to bed.. it doesn't happen as often now, sometimes if he's later than usual to bed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our 2.5 year old does this a lot unfortunately... Wakes and roars in a real grumpy way and despite all efforts, will not tell us what is wrong. He is definitely awake and he'll eventually calm down, but by that time little sis is normally awake too :( Wish I could offer you a cause/solution but we are still looking for one ourselves! I will be following this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

cbyrd wrote: »
    My now 4 year old does this from time to time, it used to be every night. I discovered he needed to loo but wasn't awake enough to communicate. I don't speak to him, instead I just lift him to the bathroom and back to bed.. it doesn't happen as often now, sometimes if he's later than usual to bed ..
    Yes I do notice that later bed times def don't help, I'm a stickler for proper bed times!!

Advertisement