Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home study vs school study

Options
  • 04-05-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi lads,

So with like 5 weeks to go I'm just thinking if it's better to stay at home some days to study or is it better to be in school for full days?
    Or even taking part of the day off to study? I feel that there is classes in school that are pointless to me at this stage as we are just doing the same stuff over and over, or else I get distracted and do nothing when I would be much more constructive at home.
    Or do you think it's better to be in school every day just in case you miss something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That depends on if you are finished your courses or not. You also say you are going back over stuff, that is revision itself. Is it any different from what you would be doing at home? It's useful to have a teacher on hand to ask a question if you got stuck on something at home the previous evening.

Also, and most importantly, are you disciplined enough to get up every morning and start work and stick at it all day in a similar manner to your school timetable? i.e. not taking a million tea breaks, not going on social media every 5 minutes (to find out what your friends are up to in school) and generally getting distracted by stuff/people at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

I am the exact same OP. We are getting loads of free classes and I can't concentrate on my work with other people whispering all the time or else blatantly talking. Teachers don't really care anymore because they think we should be mature enough to get on with our own work.
    Only reason I am going in is because I don't want to piss of my teachers/principle too much :P (I am taking the odd morning or evening off though and I can definitely say I am a LOT more productive at home.. depends on the person though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Personally, I work better at home. Went in yesterday and with a double PE class then tutor class and then my Maths teacher not showing up, it was 12pm and I still hadn't picked up a pen. Said fcuk this, went home at lunch and did a good solid 5 hours of study. It's really up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

lumosteph wrote: »
    Personally, I work better at home. Went in yesterday and with a double PE class then tutor class and then my Maths teacher not showing up, it was 12pm and I still hadn't picked up a pen. Said fcuk this, went home at lunch and did a good solid 5 hours of study. It's really up to you.

And then just when you left your whole class started the most informative lesson of their lives!!!

Nah, in all seriousness at this point school is just holding you back. I say you just show up for the exams. Eff how your principal feels, it's all about what will get you the best results. Bottom line that counts and all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

As a teacher, I obviously think that going to school is in the majority of cases more beneficial. Revision is being done in class in a structured way, and teachers can mark your work and show you where you're going wrong. My 6th year English course is technically 'done', but there are plenty things we need to spend more time on, particularly the composition, and the students who have been missing days and not handing up assignments are missing out.

Don't forget that these are (hopefully) your last few weeks in secondary school EVER. As much as you might resent it at the moment, most people do look back on these days fondly, particularly if you have good friends or get on with your class/year group. A lot of fun memories are created in the last few weeks of school and you very well may not see a lot of these people again, or at least not on a regular basis. Just something to consider!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

My school doesn't have any support for in-school study (unless you go to the after school supervised study) and I had a lot of free classes throughout the day so I felt that I was wasting a lot of time. Around March I just stopped going and I study myself now and I'm getting so much done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

I am at home most of the time. There're still people throwing paper in class, like why would I go when I get so much more done at home...

Advertisement