Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We should take the cyclists out and shoot them

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hang on - that seems very disproportionate - we get shot while Dublin City Council get away with a slapping:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Beasty wrote: »
    Hang on - that seems very disproportionate - we get shot while Dublin City Council get away with a slapping:(

Maybe he meant to say give them a pistol whipping, from the pistol he shot the cyclists with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Good man Michael. Shoot them all.

However, if we were to apply the low fares airline model to city traffic, then bicycles would probably be the only vehicles allowed on the roads. Let me explain:

One of the core principles of low cost airlines is that you only fly planes that are full, or very near full. To fly half-empty planes is uneconomical so you do whatever you can to make sure that every plane is at capacity. Most private vehicles travelling into Dublin city are operating at 20% capacity, that is 1 driver and 4 empty passenger seats. Under the low cost airlines model that vehicle would be 'grounded' and its occupant(s) would be forced to choose a different route or wait for the next flight to ensure that the vehicle is full when it travels.

If Dublin City Council decided to operate a 'gateway' system based on low cost airlines that only permitted vehicles with >90% capacity to travel during rush hour, then the only vehicles permitted would be bicycles, buses, trams and I'd guess less than 10% of all private vehicles. That'd solve your traffic and parking issues Michael.

Vehicle Occupancy during rush hour:
    Bicycle: 100%*
    Bus: >90%
    Tram: >90%
    Taxi: 45% avg.
    Michael O'Leary's Chauffeur-Driven Car: 40%
    Private Car: 25% avg. (guess)

*Half-full tandems totally blow my argument out of the water so please don't mention them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Get the f*cking bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

first candidate for the yet to be created 'C*ckpunch' thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think we should all follow Michael's example by moving to Mullingar and commuting into Dublin City Centre in our cars every day.

Everything will be grand then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i normally have a lot of time for O'Leary but this is a strange one.
    I want to drive and I expect Dublin City [Council] to come up with a smarter way for me to get around Dublin and be able to park my car somewhere in the middle of Dublin without it being dug up every six weeks so we can have some other faddy non sustainable public transport solution.

well i want to cycle and i expect the council and government to provide me with infrastructure and laws which makes this safe. i further want my employer to provide me with good bike storage, shower and locker facilities!

i may not get everything i want :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The LUAS is a faddy unsustainable transport solution in O Learys mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

So M O'Leary wants a personal motorway from Mullingar to College Green and his own parking space when he gets there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Thread title getting the hopes up..

**sees forum title and thread content.... Backs slowly out**

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't understand what the issue with cyclists is in his mind? That they create less traffic and that each bike on the road is most likely an extra parking space for him in the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't understand what the issue with cyclists is in his mind? That they create less traffic and that each bike on the road is most likely an extra parking space for him in the city centre?

+1 and he makes a fortune from cyclists booking bikes onto flights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ah he loves the aul controversy. He knows people react when he spouts something outrageous and he loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does his commute from mullingar to swords even cross over Dublin CityS area?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Why can't he just get a train or bus instead of contributing to the gridlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Kind of funny that someone who runs a public transport company is calling public transport faddy and unsustainable.

This is disappointing, he's too smart not to realise the Mercedes-sized holes in his argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

He says he's driving himself so I assume he sold his taxi then? If he hasn't and is driving without a separate driver and not metering his journeys then he's in breach of taxi carriage rules. Knowing Michael, he wouldn't care and would probably just laugh at the fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think we should all follow Michael's example by moving to Mullingar and commuting into Dublin City Centre in our cars every day.

Everything will be grand then.

Doesn't Michael O'leary travel in a taxi? Or so he said a few years ago, he was telling everyone how smart he was for getting a taxi license so he could use the bus lanes. Now those feckin' cyclists are in the bus lanes too and holding his taxi up!

So yeah, shoot them all! In fact I might write to him asking for a gun and bullet and I'll shoot myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Before everyone gets on a high horse I have read the article twice and not read any mention of shooting cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ghostmutt

syklops wrote: »
    Before everyone gets on a high horse I have read the article twice and not read any mention of shooting cyclists.

Maybe go for a third time.

Yes this Joker got a Taxi Plate so he could use bus lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Yeah that is the core of it - his taxi licence. along with Taxi drivers and buses he is sick of cyclists taking up "his" bus lane.

that and he knows he can generate free publicity and remind people of Ryan air every time he spouts a controversial opinion.

No comments open on that article, how did they resit the temptation to open it up for comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I'm no businessman nor am I an economist but...
    Shoot all the cyclists - tens of thousands of bullets.
    Shoot O'Leary - one bullet.
    Plus its less strain on the aul forearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You're quite right, not a word about cyclists shooting anybody or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

"I'm a daily commuter".

Says Michael, with his merc, and his driver, and his door to door motorway.

He's just like the rest of us really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

drogdub wrote: »
    Why can't he just get a train or bus instead of contributing to the gridlock?

Or just allow an extra hour for his 30 minute journey thus enuring another on-time trip in the RyanAir limo. He's probably just narky because the seats are so farking uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You're quite right, not a word about cyclists shooting anybody or anything.

"In a country where it rains about 250 days a year, the way forward for Dublin is, more bicycles. Let's just go back to walking all together. Soon we'll be living in caves designed by Dublin City Council. Traffic won't work, there's nowhere to park the cars and yet this is a smarter way forward. We should take the cyclists out and shoot them."

Not too hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

It's in this section:
    "That's all we need in Dublin is more blooming bicycles,"Mr O 'Leary told the Creative Minds conference this morning. In a country where it rains about 250 days a year, the way forward for Dublin is, more bicycles. Let's just go back to walking all together. Soon we'll be living in caves designed by Dublin City Council. Traffic won't work, there's nowhere to park the cars and yet this is a smarter way forward. We should take the cyclists out and shoot them."

At what point should this type of rhetoric qualify as hate speech. He may be a wind-up merchant, but unfortunately it's people not quite as intelligent as he is that will keep this garbage in the back of their minds when behind the wheel. I've long ago lost my sense of humour when it comes to this subject. If it were possible to modify the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act to add "chosen method of transport" to the hatred clause, I'd be all for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

If it were possible to modify the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act to add "chosen method of transport" to the hatred clause, I'd be all for it..

Agreed. It's definitely cyclistist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

kenmc wrote: »
    Agreed. It's definitely cyclistist

Would it not be 'transportist' or 'commutist' or 'vehiclist'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Shooting them is all well & good Joe, but what I want to know is who's going to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume we can start with this cyclist
    m%20oleary%202.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe a cyclist got in the way of his taxi as it used the bus lane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Granolite

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Kind of funny that someone who runs a public transport company is calling public transport faddy and unsustainable.

This is disappointing, he's too smart not to realise the Mercedes-sized holes in his argument.

not only that but when viewed in the context of history the automobile and airplane are of course more faddy than bikes and tram's, the latter two of which are both are around a bit longer than the former transport options he has preference for.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Eamonnator wrote: »
    He seems to miss the point, that if more people cycled, the knock on effect would be, that there'd be more space for him to park his f***ing car.

l

Actually, is that not the whole point of his argument - because of the all the pandering to cyclists, there is less and less accomodation for those who have no option but to drive to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's just Michael O'Leary doing what he does best - attracting attention to him and his airline with silly statements - shooting cyclists, single pilot, standing room on aircraft, paying for the jacks, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

While I admire how successful he has been with Ryanair, sometimes when he opens his beak I just :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and ignore him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Instead of coming here full of vitriol. Act. Contact Ryanair and declare you'll never fly with them again. No bringing bikes. No flying. Then abide by the threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just discussed on The Last Word. The first argument out of some eejits mouth representing the SFA was that they don't even pay road tax or tax on petrol (Joe). He also thinks that DCC bend over backwards for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Theres something a bit nasty about clever people saying stupid things to get a reaction from people.

Or maybe he's just not actually thought it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

jjpep wrote: »
    Theres something a bit nasty about clever people saying stupid things to get a reaction from people.

There's lots nasty about that man, cheap and nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Instead of coming here full of vitriol. Act. Contact Ryanair and declare you'll never fly with them again. No bringing bikes. No flying. Then abide by the threat.

While his comment causes me mild irritation (at a stretch tbh) it is not enough to persuade me to pay higher fares when I want to fly somewhere on a point of principle.

I have seen ryanair staff stalking though departure areas (beyond security gates) looking for likely carryon bags they could weigh, weighing them and requiring passengers to pay charges & to stow them in the hold. I have seen them charge people €50 because they forgot to print their boarding card. I have thrown away a (pop-up) tent I had strapped around my luggage on a return flight from a holiday, because the alternative was to pay for it as a seperate piece of luggage. I have seen the melee that used to apply to try and find a set of (unassigned) seats that would work for our family of six when travelling with young kids. Some of these practices have since improved with the new cuddly ryanair.

But if these were not enough to persuade me to go for a less cheap option, a few throwaway comments on cyclists won't tip the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think this is what Michael has in mind. All he's missing is the stetson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPUe80oBZw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

jjpep wrote: »

Oh he thought it through alright. More publicity for him as he hasn't had his head in the papers for a few weeks with all the election coverage.

Add in the fact that people are booking holidays at the moment and he'll get the attention he wants. It's a cheap publicity stunt.

Fair enough, but the problem is there's plenty of people who listen to him and spout the same crap word for word and worse again they will act on it. He's an Irish Jeremy Clarkson, but his comments are dangerous as well as clueless.

If you want to get a petition going then do it via Facebook or some international forum to damage the company on an international level. Doubt it will work, in fact he'll just use it for more cheap publicity with a publicized apology and donation to some cause, probably related to injured cyclists.

Like I said, it's all about getting Ryanair in the papers, it's just a game to him, no matter how much damage he causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Fian wrote: »
    While his comment causes me mild irritation (at a stretch tbh) it is not enough to persuade me to pay higher fares when I want to fly somewhere on a point of principle.

I have seen ryanair staff stalking though departure areas (beyond security gates) looking for likely carryon bags they could weigh, weighing them and requiring passengers to pay charges & to stow them in the hold. I have seen them charge people €50 because they forgot to print their boarding card. I have thrown away a (pop-up) tent I had strapped around my luggage on a return flight from a holiday, because the alternative was to pay for it as a seperate piece of luggage. I have seen the melee that used to apply to try and find a set of (unassigned) seats that would work for our family of six when travelling with young kids. Some of these practices have since improved with the new cuddly ryanair.

But if these were not enough to persuade me to go for a less cheap option, a few throwaway comments on cyclists won't tip the balance.

Are you full of vitriol?? Doesn't seem like it. Then my comment doesn't refer to you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No way he's propelling that under his own steam - reckon there's a motor stashed away in that somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

m%20oleary%202.jpg

Well he wasn't going to let the "bike-to-work" scheme go unexploited, now was he?

He'll take any write-off he can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

m%20oleary%202.jpg
    Add your reply here.
    Forgot his shorts again.... Ewww.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

TonyStark wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Forgot his shorts again.... Ewww.

Please somebody shoot me, I can't unsee that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Poor misunderstood Michael. All he wants is the world on a stick but no-one's giving it to him. He's left with no choice but to chuck all of the toys out of his cot until he gets it.

I'd say he's teething.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I was under the impression that Mr O'Leary was somewhat intelligent. His comments are very uneducated and quite entitled. Expects to drive into the city centre? Ban all privately owned vehicles from the city centre I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

I was under the impression that Mr O'Leary was somewhat intelligent. His comments are very uneducated and quite entitled. Expects to drive into the city centre? Ban all privately owned vehicles from the city centre I say.

And I assume you are educated enough to understand the concept of irony....

• Advertisement
Advertisement