Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm starting out...it's been 2 days..

Options
  • 04-05-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I was directed here by another boardsie
    Basically I'm at the end of the road with alcohol it's not that I drink everyday but when I do crazy things happen due to drinking too much and making stupid decisions
    I drink from, sat and Sunday night
    Then die until wed/Thursday and then it all begins again
    It's causing every aspect of my life trouble
    I don't work anymore I'm single and I'm on the verge of death or serious trouble with the law if I don't get out of this rut
    I drink due to boredom and all my friends wanting to drink but the problem is I never want the party to end. I feel I can do it without help I'm just wondering has anyone been like me before??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hi Tim.

Don't worry, I think probably EVERYONE here can relate to your story!

Your best bet is to start reading the other threads in the forum.

You're not the first person to ask these questions so you will read so many similar stories to your own and you will see what did and didn't work for people plus lots of great links to websites, videos, books etc

Good luck and post away here, I find writing can be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Similar to yourself, I found the various threads on drinking out of almost desperation one day. Had one major fall in the interim, but as tinpib says, there are lots of people here with the same thing, and it has been a great help to me.

You are not alone.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You are not alone.
    Remember this.

If you're determined to do it on your own, and it's not "too American" for you, I found some of this stuff useful: http://www.rational.org/index.php?id=36

But — I've been sober ten years now and in hindsight, if I'm honest, it was more about not trying to do it all on my own. For maybe the first time in my life; I hadn't really ever asked anyone for help because I thought that was weakness. Have you ever tried an AA meeting? (incidentally, you don't have to "get God" to derive benefit from twelve step approaches like theirs, either, despite a lot of myths/prejudice based mostly on ignorance). Sure, you'll meet a few zealots, nutters and what have you — when you think about it logically, it'd be kinda strange if there weren't plenty of "damaged" people sitting in those rooms. (Look around you on the bus. Probably 2/10 of those people have addiction or mental health issues — so what are the odds in a room full of self-declared alkies?) But you'll also meet perfectly sane, healthy, balanced people, from all walks of life, who have one thing in common with you: they had your problem and have figured out a way to stop it and, more importantly, to stay away from a drink without going mad or being miserable all the time. And there are as many different ways as there are alcoholics. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise; you'll spot the deranged preachers and 12-step Taliban merchants a mile off.

You said: "I'm just wondering has anyone been like me before?"

Fúck yeah, they have. I was. I don't know what sort of alcoholic you are, or even whether you consider yourself one. What age you are, how long you've been doing this, etc. On the face of it, yours sounds like a case of alcohol abuse rather than dependency (but keep doing it long enough and dependency will come, believe me). But it sounds like it's fúcking up your life more than a bit, and the distinction doesn't really matter. It definitely sounds like you could do with not drinking at all, at least for a while — 'moderating'/controlling my drinking was something I wasted years on.

It's not easy, especially the early days. But keep trying. And, at the risk of harping on, reach out a bit? You don't have to do it all on your own. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

How you doing OP ?

Advertisement