Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Battery

Options
  • 04-05-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭

I have an iPhone 6 battery that has gone haywire over the last couple of months.

Sudden battery drain, staying at 1% for ages. False readings etc. I have no apps causing issues before someone says that.

Phone is from October 14 so out of normal warranty, however do I still have a right to get the battery replaced?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If it's faulty then under consumer law you are entitled to have it replaced. Bring it back to wherever you bought it.

Did you try calibrating it? You should do this once a month by fully discharging and recharging the battery. It won't fix a faulty or exhausted batter but it should make the battery percentage more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If it's faulty then under consumer law you are entitled to have it replaced. Bring it back to wherever you bought it.

Did you try calibrating it? You should do this once a month by fully discharging and recharging the battery. It won't fix a faulty or exhausted batter but it should make the battery percentage more accurate.

Thanks, got it under contract from Meteor, so doubt they will get involved.

As for calibrating, I think that is a myth to to be honest.

http://lifehacker.com/smartphone-battery-myths-explained-1735327089

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you think the battery is faulty, contact Meteor and cite the Sale of Goods Act. If they fob you off, which is unlikely, register it with the small claims court for 50 euro and wait for them to pay up.

Apple still recommend calibrating your battery once month and it does work. The myth that article is dispelling is that you should discharge your battery every time - this definitely is not necessary and is bad for the battery. It still acknowledges that calibration helps the OS keep track of battery percentage, which should help with the percentage being stuck on 1 percent for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you think the battery is faulty, contact Meteor and cite the Sale of Goods Act. If they fob you off, which is unlikely, register it with the small claims court for 50 euro and wait for them to pay up.

Apple still recommend calibrating your battery once month and it does work. The myth that article is dispelling is that you should discharge your battery every time - this definitely is not necessary and is bad for the battery. It still acknowledges that calibration helps the OS keep track of battery percentage, which should help with the percentage being stuck on 1 percent for ages.

Well the problem is that my battery runs down very fast and sometimes switches off at 30%.

Then when I charge it it immediately jumps to a higher percentage.

So is that a faulty battery or calibration?

Also, I cannot find any article or link from Apple recommending monthly calibration.

Can only find this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Axlan

If you call Apple Authorised Service Provider Mactivate 01-8224488 they can run an Apple diagnostic test remotely which will check battery status i.e consumed or faulty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement