Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Recommend a Commercial Coffee Machine

Options
  • 04-05-2016 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I am opening an ice cream van and am looking for a commercial coffee machine that would be suitable. I am planning on targeting weddings, farmers markets and small festivals and events. I think one that can out put 200 cups a day may be suitable (just a guess) and I am looking for the cheapest as we are only starting out.

Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I would get a all-in-one supplier that will do your beans, machine, servicing, and training. McCabes are very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

As above, get supplier of beans and machine.

If brand name is important (and probably is if its a van) look at java Republic.

But unless you have a phenomenal site, forget about 200 cups a day - some busy coffee shops would love that volume.

Another option is a decent domestic bean to cup machine - amazon usually have good value on gaggia. See what the level of business is. If its good, upgrade and keep the first machine for yourself or as backup. About €300 will get you a bean to cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Budgieoc18

Thank you all for your advise. I was looking at a Keurig 150P. Approx €350 and could purch two down the line for the minute if needed. I would by from a distributor so it will come with warranty etc. What would you think of this.

Budgieoc18 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advise. I was looking at a Keurig 150P. Approx €350 and could purch two down the line for the minute if needed. I would by from a distributor so it will come with warranty etc. What would you think of this.

That's a pod machine - avoid pods. Customers see you as taking the easy way and don't see the value.

A basic bean to cup machine will look better and give you far more options.

this is probably best value

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Severin-KV-8062-freestanding/dp/B00F5VFB76/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41cPxpG4EGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR148%2C160_&refRID=YEYVVKCVBEJP4558AJCY

creates all the popular drinks with one touch.

Thank you very much. I have been advised to get one that I can make two coffees at once for busy times at festivals. Been told about a Gaggia. What is the difference in this machine you have have advised and machines like a gaggia where you manually grind, fraught milk etc. Apologies for my lack of knowledge. I am knew to this and everyone is givig me different answers. I have a budget of 1500. But was the quickest with best quality and one that will not need expensive servicing.

• Advertisement

If you are at a festival you can be guaranteed there will be other coffee operators, so the added expense of a larger machine for the small amount of time you will need it wonlt be worhwhile.

If I was doing it, I'd look at getting 2 identical machines - one for the van and one for home :) and then on the few busy times, bring the home machine with you. It also means that the 2 machines can be apart allowing for 2 staff to ake coffees at he same time. Also if one breaks down, (these days they shouldn't) you have a back-up.

Here's another option - new machine €300+vat from Auction Exchange in Ballymount

https://auctionxchange.ie/listing/22006/Spengler-Bean-To-Cup-Coffee-Machine-x-1-#view

http://spengler.org/index.php?id=13&pid=2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're going to be doing any volume you'll find the domestic grade machines simply do not work out - you'll end up replacing them every couple of months.

Gaggia or Jura are both good makes for bean to cup.

I'd shop around to see what's available out there. Also "refurb" machines will work out cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

OP your 200 cups will not be evenly sold, they will be 'concentrated' at coffee times so you will have no hope of operating with a basic Gaggia. I have a high-end domestic model and also a Gaggia disc grinder. Machine has one arm/lever, two spouts, arm has changeable inserts for one or two cups. The steamer/froth jet works off the same electrical element. cannot be used independently and if used you have to wait for the machine to warm up again (that's OK if it's at home, but not if you have a queue!) You also need one that is plumbed (gravity fed?) as the resevoir is too small and awkward to refill (partic on a hot machine). Also check with an electrician on the loading for your generator.

Thank you all for your help, I have chosen a Simonelli Appia Compact 2 group traditional machine, I purchased this on done deal for €1800 including grinder, knock box and accessories. A guy I knows installs Simonellis in corporate companies (he only have 1 group machines in my price range so thats why I didn't purchase off him) but he is going to service it for me and get any parts when needed so that will save me a few euro when it needs to be serviced.

Hop I have made the right decision. Guy is keeping it for me so collecting and paying for it at the weekend.

Any advise would be great.

Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Budgieoc18 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help, I have chosen a Simonelli Appia Compact 2 group traditional machine, I purchased this on done deal for €1800 including grinder, knock box and accessories. A guy I knows installs Simonellis in corporate companies (he only have 1 group machines in my price range so thats why I didn't purchase off him) but he is going to service it for me and get any parts when needed so that will save me a few euro when it needs to be serviced.

Hop I have made the right decision. Guy is keeping it for me so collecting and paying for it at the weekend.

Any advise would be great.

Thank you all

Well done, that's a great result

The Appia is a superb machine, far better than I'd imagined you would have been able to get. If your busy get the machine serviced a minimum of twice a year, also be aware that you will require a boiler inspection/pressure test cert from the engineer who services it for your insurance company. Do not ignore this requirement, it could invalid your insurance.

The grinder is actually almost more important than the machine when it comes to the coffees taste etc. Get yourself setup etc and once your doing ok look at your grinder and ensure it's good enough and upgrade if you can if its not. A good grinder starts at about €1500 new so you should get one second hand about 800.

Approach a smaller coffee roasters and do a deal to use their beans in exchange for materials you require cups/lids/sugar etc. They will build it into the coffee cost which is easier for you to pay instead of having to go to cash and carry

• Advertisement

Bandara wrote: »
    Well done, that's a great result

The Appia is a superb machine, far better than I'd imagined you would have been able to get. If your busy get the machine serviced a minimum of twice a year, also be aware that you will require a boiler inspection/pressure test cert from the engineer who services it for your insurance company. Do not ignore this requirement, it could invalid your insurance.

The grinder is actually almost more important than the machine when it comes to the coffees taste etc. Get yourself setup etc and once your doing ok look at your grinder and ensure it's good enough and upgrade if you can if its not. A good grinder starts at about €1500 new so you should get one second hand about 800.

Approach a smaller coffee roasters and do a deal to use their beans in exchange for materials you require cups/lids/sugar etc. They will build it into the coffee cost which is easier for you to pay instead of having to go to cash and carry

Thank you very much Bandara - greatly appreciated.

Advertisement