Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best method/products to clean back wheel

• 04-05-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Feel a bit daft asking this one but anyway... back wheel is off the bike for a new tyre.

Right says I, good time to clean it.

Sprayed with engine cleaner, scrubbed with a brush, rinsed with water...... hmmm, doesn't look great.

Sprayed with (don't laugh) tyre black foaming product, scrubbed with toothbrush, rinsed.... still not great. I was expecting to get back to clean black paint but some of it looks kinda dark brown ingrained whatever..... maybe brake dust residue?

Bike is a 1998 VFR 800, black back wheel. Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Embedded brake particles, get some Iron-x from a car detailing shop and spray on and let it work its magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I just paint over the dirt :D

Only messing, My personal favourite is WD 40 and a toothbrush, a whole lotta WD 40. Not the cheapest option though, never fails for me though.

I usually take off the wheels, easier access to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Kerosene or diesel mixed with petrol that I get from local car place

Feel a bit daft asking this one but anyway... back wheel is off the bike for a new tyre.

Right says I, good time to clean it.

Sprayed with engine cleaner, scrubbed with a brush, rinsed with water...... hmmm, doesn't look great.

Sprayed with (don't laugh) tyre black foaming product, scrubbed with toothbrush, rinsed.... still not great. I was expecting to get back to clean black paint but some of it looks kinda dark brown ingrained whatever..... maybe brake dust residue?

Bike is a 1998 VFR 800, black back wheel. Any pointers appreciated.

Petrol or diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Just use the proper stuff, Simoniz or autogym wheel cleaner, its designed for the job, Spray on , leave for a few mins and scrub off with a brush and water.

They are designed to remove brake dust that cant be otherwise washed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Iron X beats the ballax off anything simonez do. Using it years.

Buy iron x you won't buy anything else after using it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Saw a good one recently. The spray stuff for killing flys. Works well.

Advertisement