Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government deal to increase Garda strength to 15,000

• 04-05-2016 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/revealed-government-deal-to-cut-usc-and-hike-garda-numbers-34683499.html

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned here at all today.

"In relation to crime, the parties have agreed that funding will be found to increase garda numbers to 15,000"

There will also be investment in CCTV, and the Policing Authority will oversee a review of the boundaries of garda districts, and the locations of garda stations.

Overall this is great news for anybody who wants to join the Gards.

It looks like accelerated recruitment is on the way back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

AudiKid wrote: »

They've been saying this for years. Every now and then it appears in the news and quickly gets forgotten about. Hopefully it's gonna happen though....

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

carzony wrote: »
    They've been saying this for years. Every now and then it appears in the news and quickly gets forgotten about. Hopefully it's gonna happen though....

Are you telling me that you don't trust politicians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Are you telling me that you don't trust politicians?

3 weeks ago FF said they'd never work with FG and now look. This is just a typical story for the headlines trying to make the party look good. In fairness they did announce a quite big recruitment drive for the defence forces recently so we shall see what happens.

I know one thing, The money is definetely there to spend on the Gardai. According to the radio today Dublin is booming and income tax is at it's highest since 2006 so the money must be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

carzony wrote: »
    3 weeks ago FF said they'd never work with FG and now look. This is just a typical story for the headlines trying to make the party look good. In fairness they did announce a quite big recruitment drive for the defence forces recently so we shall see what happens.

I know one thing, The money is definetely there to spend on the Gardai. According to the radio today Dublin is booming and income tax is at it's highest since 2006 so the money must be there.

It was announced 14,000 during the election, and it's now at 15,000.

It will happen because they need to reinvigorate the Gards with new blood, and replace the retirements.

Who ever is serious about a career in the Gards, will have a lot of opportunities over the coming years.

Let's just hope they sort out the rent allowance, and wages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Did they give any idea on a timeline? The sooner the better but at the same time Templemore can only accomedate a certain amount of trainee's at any given time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Interesting read but I think ill make up my own opinion after training. Different guards are gonna have different opinions I guess. Some love it and others hate it. Id hope that its the type of career that you get out of it what you put into it

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Hard to see them sorting out pay cuts for new members AND increasing numbers that dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Working in a grand job at the moment with some great benefits and treated well but I could still rustle up a few people to write the same article

Advertisement