Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convince me to buy a PS4...

Options
  • 04-05-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

All right folks, I've been sitting on the fence when it comes to the 8th generation of consoles. I have an Xbox360 since 2006 and owned both the PS2 and Xbox from the previous gen.

I currently also have a game-capable PC, and prefer playing multi-platform games there when available.

Coming to the matter at hand, back when they were launched I would have been more inclined towards a PS4 than an Xbox One mostly due to specs, focus (the PS4 seemed more targeted towards gamers, where the XBO tried to position itself as a multi-role entertainment device) and the fact I never owned a PS3, so I did fancy going back into Sony territory.

Problem is, the XBO games lineup seems more attractive to me at the moment. Being mostly into driving games, Forza Motorsport 6 is tempting me a lot towards the console - and with no news about Gran Turismo 7 (the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport is NOT a valid alternative - stinks of "prologue" to me), I fancy the PS4 less and less.

I am actually considering investing 150 Euro into getting a second hand PS3 kit to go and revisit some of the exclusives I missed, including GT6.

So, what would be the strong points about getting a PS4 now, even if it means having to wait for GT7 to come out? Keep in mind:

- I don't really like 3rd person adventure games, so Uncharted 4 has zero appeal on me;
    - I have zero interest in any use of the console other than gaming;
    - I don't like JRPG games;
    - I won't play online on a console, tried Xbox Live and there are too many stupid children around (I'm an old fart at nearly 36!);
    - Other than driving games, I'd mostly use a console for fighting games, survival horrors and of course, exclusives;
    - I am not currently interested in the 4k-capable rumored PS4, as I have a "normal", not 4k capable HDTV;

Good luck and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I know you were looking for the opposite but really dont buy a PS4......

The possible hardware revision coming up(read PS4.5k)may be the better option so if i was you hold off till we see what its actually going to be and then make a decision. Even if its not for you the original PS4 should get very cheap second hand around its launch so you could get more bang for buck. My 2 cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

EoinHef wrote: »
    I know you were looking for the opposite but really dont buy a PS4......

The possible hardware revision coming up(read PS4.5k)may be the better option so if i was you hold off till we see what its actually going to be and then make a decision. Even if its not for you the original PS4 should get very cheap second hand around its launch so you could get more bang for buck. My 2 cents...

And very appreciated, I was also thinking along these lines...glad I'm not the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jayisplay

Jesus you don't like much do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well for a start there is 'Until Dawn' which is a survival horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a gaming PC and a PS4 and the PS4 just is not worth it at all unless you like Souls games because Bloodbourne is excellent.

Everything else you can play a better version on PC, it's really lacking in exclusives. Uncharted 4 just came out but I'm kind of finding the series a bit stale now so will get it when it's cheap. My advice is wait until next year or the new model, there's some good exclusives coming up... although don't be surprised when the majority of them make their way to PC as well, japan has really taken notice of steam lately so even the usual Japanese console exclusives are finding their way to PC.

My PS4 is just a dust collector at the moment and there's really no reason to get one over a PC at the moment. The WiiU gets more play time, despite the small library there's a really great selection of exclusives on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It depends massively on the person you are, what your gaming habits are like and how these machines fit into that lifestyle. I've a decent gaming PC too but I buy almost everything for the 'inferior' PS4 version because that's where I prefer to do my gaming.

There's plenty of sports games, for example, for which the PC simply isn't an option. For other games, most of my friends don't have a decent gaming rig so me playing them with marginally better graphics on my own is kind of cutting my nose off to spite my face too.

That said OP your original post doesn't make it seem like you really want to be convinced. Your idea of picking up a cheap second hand PS3 doesn't sound like the worst thing I've ever heard. If you then like any/many of the franchises that opens you up to then maybe see about a PS4 in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I know you said you don't like 3rd person games but the answer to these threads is ALWAYS The Last of Us. :)

If we're going remastered PS3 games then Journey, for goodness sake Journey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Based on your preferences would think you'd hate the PS4 so suggest instead you do look to last gen or even something a bit more out there like steam / retro console or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cheers folks, however I believe my question has been misinterpreted a little bit.

I am not "new" to the console market - as I said, I have a fully functional Xbox 360; plus the original Xbox and a PS2 from the previous gen (original Xbox is mothballed, the PS2 I recently took out and still works).

While I do prefer playing on the PC (find the close to the screen position + mouse and keyboard environment more involving than the couch, probably due to my specific age with the PC gaming boom of the early '90s and essentially growing up as a PC gamer), there are games and entire genres that are either unavailable on it or somehow don't feel "right" (e.g. fighting games).

The doubt was if it's the right moment to get a PS4 (it clearly isn't) and, more importantly, why at this point - considering the games available and coming out shortly - to pick it over the XBox One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

35 isn't old

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If you're intrigued about it get it , Uncharted 4 has just come out and is probably one of the best games i've ever played

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

lertsnim wrote: »
    35 isn't old

Yeah, let's focus on the important stuff.
    I'm 44 and not old just yet!

Understanding you say you don't like 3rd person games and your belief that Uncharted has nothing for you, I would suggest that not owning a PS3 means you haven't played to find out.
    It's a hell of a lot of fun and the collected PS3 titles, remastered for the PS4 is fantastic value and a damn fine bunch of games, plus there's the remastered The Last of Us which, if you haven't heard, is one of the best pieces of storytelling on the PS3.

But for one good reason to own a PS4 it is simply Bloodborne.
    That game is life changing, it is that good, and it will act as a gateway drug to the rest of the Souls series.

Oh, and Driveclub is the cats pyjamas, made by much of the team behind personal favourites such as MSR on the Dreamcast and the Project Gotham titles on the Xbox consoles.

You'd need to play online to get the most out of Driveclub though wouldn't you? OP said he wouldn't be playing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    All right folks, I've been sitting on the fence when it comes to the 8th generation of consoles. I have an Xbox360 since 2006 and owned both the PS2 and Xbox from the previous gen.

I currently also have a game-capable PC, and prefer playing multi-platform games there when available.

Coming to the matter at hand, back when they were launched I would have been more inclined towards a PS4 than an Xbox One mostly due to specs, focus (the PS4 seemed more targeted towards gamers, where the XBO tried to position itself as a multi-role entertainment device) and the fact I never owned a PS3, so I did fancy going back into Sony territory.

Problem is, the XBO games lineup seems more attractive to me at the moment. Being mostly into driving games, Forza Motorsport 6 is tempting me a lot towards the console - and with no news about Gran Turismo 7 (the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport is NOT a valid alternative - stinks of "prologue" to me), I fancy the PS4 less and less.

I am actually considering investing 150 Euro into getting a second hand PS3 kit to go and revisit some of the exclusives I missed, including GT6.

So, what would be the strong points about getting a PS4 now, even if it means having to wait for GT7 to come out? Keep in mind:

- I don't really like 3rd person adventure games, so Uncharted 4 has zero appeal on me;
    - I have zero interest in any use of the console other than gaming;
    - I don't like JRPG games;
    - I won't play online on a console, tried Xbox Live and there are too many stupid children around (I'm an old fart at nearly 36!);
    - Other than driving games, I'd mostly use a console for fighting games, survival horrors and of course, exclusives;
    - I am not currently interested in the 4k-capable rumored PS4, as I have a "normal", not 4k capable HDTV;

Good luck and thanks!

Buy a PS4 or I will break your legs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm a PC Gamer and am looking to get the PS4 soon
    I have had the previous versions of the PS as opposed to the xbox is due to the exclusives on PS that xbox don't get and the exclusives on the xbox that I will eventually play on the PC anyway.
    I am going to buy Batman: Arkham Knight as they made a balls of that on the pc, Uncharted as the previous games were brilliant, Metal Gear Solid 5 as I have played all the previous ones on the PS so want to keep up the tradition and Until Dawn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go with MGSV on PC over PS4. It's a bloody amazing conversion and runs beautifully. There's a massive difference graphically on PC even on a modest set up. Such a shame the PC or PS4 won't see another fox engine game outside of PES :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have both consoles.

I find the xbox one to be a way better console .... shot me .

Online works proper I only have had endless problems with the ps4 online.

Controller is better on the xbox one. And before people go nuts use one over a ps4 and you understand.

Everyone loves blood burn I found it useless and did not enjoy the 5 hours I put into it.

But you have loads of good games on the ps4 as well but if you won't one have a look on adverts and done deal. Some people are smoking the magic grass with looking for 350 euros for one. While others like myself I picked up a 2nd one for 170 euros but people called me a bad guy as they where thinking I bought it to sell .....

What problems do you have with PSN? I can't remember the last time it was down stopping me from using it.

Only problem I've ever had with PSN is other PSN users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

PS4 1TB with Uncharted 4 and Doom for €410 in smyths

Apparently also in argos for €403(that's the uncharted box)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well if you are looking for horror games, you have :

PS4
    Until Dawn
    SOMA
    The Last of Us
    Kholat
    Daylight

Cross Console
    The Park
    Outlast
    Alien: Isolation
    Among the Sleep
    Dead Island 2
    Dying Light
    The Evil Within
    Layers of Fear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Beefy78 wrote: »
    What problems do you have with PSN? I can't remember the last time it was down stopping me from using it.

Only problem I've ever had with PSN is other PSN users.

It's fairly poor compared to Xbox live in fairness. It's extremely slow, not exactly robust and I can never fathom how they organise their maintenance schedule, it seems like the pick some of the worst possible times.

I also own the PS4 and XBO. I'd also prefer the PS4 to have asymmetrical sticks - you could say that's because of owing an 360 from launch and just being used to it, but I've owned the PS4 as my primary console for over two and half years and I still think it's a better set up. Besides that the DS4 is a superb controller, give it the asymmetrical sticks and it'd be my dream controller. It's the PSN and sticks that convinced me to buy a XBO at the start of the year. Use to be big into my FPSs and I decided I'd play those on the XBO and everything else on PS. It was a mistake.

Loved my 360. But I just don't like the XBO at all. It's prone to crashing - the PS4 has its moments but nothing like the XBO. It's just an awkward OS. I'm never entirely sure what it's doing. Is it downloading updates etc. It lies to me e.g. installing a game: it's tells me it's ready to play, but that's just BS and it stubbornly refuses to do anything. The PSN grid system is extremely basic, but at least it tells you what it's doing. I really like the chime the XBO makes when you switch it on though! Needed to get a spare HDMI cable last week and ended up taking the XBO's one as a stopgap. My elite 360 is still plugged in.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend either till we see what they're planning as regards ps4.5 and xbox1.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

With PS4.5 reportedly due in 4 months time, just ahead of PSVR, which is the real reason the 4.5 exists. I'd hold off on a PS4 until we see the 4.5 price point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have both consoles.

I find the xbox one to be a way better console .... shot me .

Online works proper I only have had endless problems with the ps4 online.

Controller is better on the xbox one. And before people go nuts use one over a ps4 and you understand.

Everyone loves blood burn I found it useless and did not enjoy the 5 hours I put into it.

But you have loads of good games on the ps4 as well but if you won't one have a look on adverts and done deal. Some people are smoking the magic grass with looking for 350 euros for one. While others like myself I picked up a 2nd one for 170 euros but people called me a bad guy as they where thinking I bought it to sell .....

I also own both consoles, and most other consoles too...

I have never had a single issue with the PS4 online experience, easily as good if not better than the XB1, plus the PS4 front end is much better.

I'll grant you the XB1 controller is lovely but there's little not to love about the Dualshock 4, plus it's rechargeable from the get go, as opposed to the battery powered XB1.

5 hours into Bloodborne and you called it?
    5 hours barely gets you past the intro.

You're right about paying too much though.
    With a little patience you'll pick one up second hand, with a couple of games, for around €200, just keep an eye on Adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I also own both consoles, and most other consoles too...

I have never had a single issue with the PS4 online experience, easily as good if not better than the XB1, plus the PS4 front end is much better.

I'll grant you the XB1 controller is lovely but there's little not to love about the Dualshock 4, plus it's rechargeable from the get go, as opposed to the battery powered XB1.

5 hours into Bloodborne and you called it?
    5 hours barely gets you past the intro.

You're right about paying too much though.
    With a little patience you'll pick one up second hand, with a couple of games, for around €200, just keep an eye on Adverts.

I have owned every console since the ps1 shows you my age ha ha. But this ps4 gets even less play then my wii u and that says a lot.

I find the xbox front end way better, the software on it just everything I think is better on the xbox then the ps4. The OS on it is very easy to use if you know where your going that is .... :P

I got a rechargeable battery for the xbox one for less then 10 euros and does the job. But the ps4 is handy to have but I have had to replace 3 ps4 controllers compare to 0 xbox one controllers as the ps4 are very badly made. The only console I have ever replaced a Controllor on is the ps4.

Just didn't like it at all found it boring. I find Lords of the falling a better game and I got for free on games for gold ha ha.

Adverts is the place to go for a console. But they banned my account as they called me scammer ..... and refuse to give it back to me. Joke.

Anorher thing over the last few months games for gold has been better then psn+ games I am sorry to say that but it has. Ever since they added in the 360 games playable on the xbone it has came very good. Loads will argee with me on this. Sunset overdrive and the Wolf amoung us last month beats anything that we have got on psn+ hands down over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a gaming PC and a PS4 and the PS4 just is not worth it at all unless you like Souls games because Bloodbourne is excellent.
    For me the game I need to keep my ps4 for is TLOU multiplayer. Oh my god it's the best multiplayer that I have ever played.

I have owned every console since the ps1 shows you my age ha ha. But this ps4 gets even less play then my wii u and that says a lot.
    Not a competition, but I have most things since 1976.... not that I play my Atari Pong machine as often as I should.....
    I find the xbox front end way better, the software on it just everything I think is better on the xbox then the ps4. The OS on it is very easy to use if you know where your going that is .... :P
    I have to disagree, though I like the newer XB1 frontend more than the original it still sucks, whilst the PS4 front end is just a natural development of the same front end Sony have used since the PSP, I guess it's more down to personal preferences tbh.
    I got a rechargeable battery for the xbox one for less then 10 euros and does the job. But the ps4 is handy to have but I have had to replace 3 ps4 controllers compare to 0 xbox one controllers as the ps4 are very badly made. The only console I have ever replaced a Controllor on is the ps4.
    The PS4 controller doesn't ask you to buy anything else for it, but yes the rechargeable pack for the XB1 is cheap enough.
    My PS4 controllers are still working away just fine although there'll have to be some surgery in order to get in and replace the battery pack someday, seeing as it's internal.
    I do like the rumble in the triggers of the XB1, though most games I've played there have barely used it.
    Just didn't like it at all found it boring. I find Lords of the falling a better game and I got for free on games for gold ha ha.
    Fair enough, but your'e the first person to ever describe Bloodborne as boring, that game is a thrill ride from start to finish, and the reviews reflect that pretty comprehensively.
    Adverts is the place to go for a console. But they banned my account as they called me scammer ..... and refuse to give it back to me. Joke.
    Which is unfortunate....
    Anorher thing over the last few months games for gold has been better then psn+ games I am sorry to say that but it has. Ever since they added in the 360 games playable on the xbone it has came very good. Loads will argee with me on this. Sunset overdrive and the Wolf amoung us last month beats anything that we have got on psn+ hands down over the last year.
    Games with Gold, I've had it since I bought the XB1 and found the range of titles far more limited than my PS+ subscription.
    With the Sony equivalent I have a massive library of PS3, PS4 and PS Vita titles, more than I have space for and most of them are pretty good, from Galak-Z to Apotheon, and the discounts have been excellent too.

The biggest reason that re: XB1/PS4 is that the poor Xbox just can't keep up with the PS4, in something as demanding as Dark Souls 3 the XB1 simply drops more frames that the PS4 version and, in this day and age, that's just not good enough.
    Also, the XB1 is bloody huge, my PS4 sits on top of it with loads of space to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not a competition, but I have most things since 1976....

did you own and play them since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Have reserved a PS4 1TB, Uncharted 4 & Doom in Argos for 384 euros. I love my PC but I work from home right beside it and have barely gamed on it lately. To be honest I just want to play TLOU again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

To be honest I just want to play TLOU again :)

Worth the price of admission alone, cracking game.

Advertisement