Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convince me to buy a PS4...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Skerries wrote: »
    did you own and play them since then?

No, I've owned a steady stream of computers and consoles since the mid 80s, before then I was playing friends machines, like euro Pong machines by Ingersoll, Atari 400, Vic20 and so on.

Since around 98 I've been buying and keeping my consoles as I go and buying up the ones from my childhood, like a proper Atari pomg machine that I imported from the States and my Vectrex, as well as ephemera like the Virtual Boy and the Gameboy Light.

I try to give time to them all but there's not enough hours in the day.
    My PS4 is getting the best play right now, with Dark Souls 3 being amazing in the extreme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People who grew up with a PS1 are old? What the hell does that make me? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People who grew up with a PS1 are old? What the hell does that make me? :(

Someone who we need to bring behind the shed and use a shot gun on as you have gone way to old ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Have reserved a PS4 1TB, Uncharted 4 & Doom in Argos for 384 euros. I love my PC but I work from home right beside it and have barely gamed on it lately. To be honest I just want to play TLOU again :)

My TLOU disc stopped working, got my brothers and that doesn't work either. Seriously considering buying a new PS4 just to play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Someone who we need to bring behind the shed and use a shot gun on as you have gone way to old ;).

no it should be done Logan's Run style

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He's over ten years my junior!

I'm rapidly turning into a "senior gamer" :(
    I think it means I'll have to start playing Crosswords on a burgundy DSiXL :( :eek:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCk95Z6WgX1E9E1mt8oLqJmpf0M5BW6TllXBJSf64KaoGWvC6y

otherwise....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_iUWaSavvm2cDPkSYIi5hHsMB6fR2trfiv3ImazhvoAERxuJJ

Nooooo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Great job lads, you very nearly convinced me...to get an Xbox One!

More seriously, I'll wait out the "PS4.5" thing. See what it is about and if it brings down the prices.

In the end, when it comes to the PS4 it all seems to revolve around a very few games which were mentioned repeatedly even in this thread. The platform DOES seem to have gone a bit of a drought when it comes to proper exclusives, regardless of what fans say. A few PS-inclined gaming news outlets also lamented this throughout 2015 but 2016 seems to be an improvement (luckily). The fact the PS4 still doesn't have a proper "simcade" racing game to rival Forza Motorsport is actually an issue, these games tend to be transversal and not just for petrolheads; a bit like sports games, if you wish.

Also, I have to agree about the insanity of the second-hand market prices. You see both PS4s and Xbox Ones for sale at prices that are 30-50 euro less than new...what's the point? Might as well get something coming new with a warranty and without a 14-years-old's fingerprints on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The fact the PS4 still doesn't have a proper "simcade" racing game to rival Forza Motorsport is actually an issue

Indeed it is. However I reckon that it will be solved at e3 this year. I would be very surprised if gran turismo 7 didn't get a release date at sony's conference this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Indeed it is. However I reckon that it will be solved at e3 this year. I would be very surprised if gran turismo 7 didn't get a release date at sony's conference this year.

Forza surpassed GT years ago in it's physics engine alone. It's one IP I'd love to see on Playstation. It's the only reason I own an Xbox One.

DIRT 3 is currently the best sim-cade racer on the console, pity its rally only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Forza surpassed GT years ago in it's physics engine alone. It's one IP I'd love to see on Playstation. It's the only reason I own an Xbox One.

DIRT 3 is currently the best sim-cade racer on the console, pity its rally only.

Don't you mean Dirt Rally??

Dirt 3 is ps3 only?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If a new GT gets announced take the release date with a pinch of salt. The PSP game launched years after it's announcement of as a launch window title and it took them years to deliver on GT for the PS3 which arrived as half a game with Gigabytes of patches to download the rest even on launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He's over ten years my junior!

I'm rapidly turning into a "senior gamer" :(
    I think it means I'll have to start playing Crosswords on a burgundy DSiXL :( :eek:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCk95Z6WgX1E9E1mt8oLqJmpf0M5BW6TllXBJSf64KaoGWvC6y

otherwise....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_iUWaSavvm2cDPkSYIi5hHsMB6fR2trfiv3ImazhvoAERxuJJ

Nooooo!!!!

I turned 40 last month, so must be up there with the best of the geriatrics around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If a new GT gets announced take the release date with a pinch of salt. The PSP game launched years after it's announcement of as a launch window title and it took them years to deliver on GT for the PS3 which arrived as half a game with Gigabytes of patches to download the rest even on launch.

That PSP game was absolute muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Don't you mean Dirt Rally??

Dirt 3 is ps3 only?

Had to go and order it, need a decent racer for me ps4 and Rally is fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

This thread has nearly convinced me! I only play on PC these days but I've been very tempted by some the ps3/4 exclusives.
    The last of us.
    Until dawn.
    Uncharted (never played any of them)
    Bloodborne.
    The last guardian.
    And probably a ton more coming out that I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Skerries wrote: »

Wow...that's basically €200 for the PS4.

I was going to wait for Neo but now I'm not sure. I guess I could always sell this later to upgrade?

Drive Club on the PS4 is superb, and cheap as chips.
    It got a bad rap as a result of a botched release, but they gave away a lot of DLC as a result, to sweeten the deal and, though many have continued to ignore it, the game has received pretty universal praise from those reviewing it in it's finished form.
    While there is paid DLC as well, the main game has plenty of content, and it is a beautiful looking game, though not great for trackday heads, they should probably invest in Project Cars instead.
    I saw The Last of Us for the PS4 for a mere €25 preowned in Smyth's and many of the other games, like the Uncharted collection, are cheaply bought and deliver weeks of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

kevovek wrote: »
    This thread has nearly convinced me! I only play on PC these days but I've been very tempted by some the ps3/4 exclusives.
    The last of us.
    Until dawn.
    Uncharted (never played any of them)
    Bloodborne.
    The last guardian.
    And probably a ton more coming out that I don't know about.

I play mostly on PC and bought a PS4 on Tuesday. Its a good console, way smaller then the X1 but not as quiet. I've only played Uncharted 4 so far and it is without question the most beautiful looking game i have ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

I play mostly on PC and bought a PS4 on Tuesday. Its a good console, way smaller then the X1 but not as quiet. I've only played Uncharted 4 so far and it is without question the most beautiful looking game i have ever played.

I'm sold on the idea of getting one now. That deal in Argos probably isn't going to be beat anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

kevovek wrote: »
    I'm sold on the idea of getting one now. That deal in Argos probably isn't going to be beat anytime soon

Look PC is the best but when your tied to a desk all day like me you just wanna lie back and ge lost in The Last of Us again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

get a girlfriend....A. you will have something more interesting to do and B. She wont let you buy anything anymore anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

get a girlfriend....A. you will have something more interesting to do and B. She wont let you buy anything anymore anyway :)

Away you with your absurd ideas :pac:

Advertisement