Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla level crossing

Options
  • 04-05-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭

3 gate closures in less than 10 mins. I hate this fecking place with a passion. Dark bloody ages. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

dodzy wrote: »
    3 gate closures in less than 10 mins. I hate this fecking place with a passion. Dark bloody ages. :mad:

The local residents won't let it be closed and replaced with a bridge in a different place, same with Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

dodzy wrote: »

Consider yourself lucky.

The gates at Coolmine are often closed for more than 10 minutes and only 1 train might go through in that time.

They really should be automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Godge wrote: »
    The local residents won't let it be closed and replaced with a bridge in a different place, same with Coolmine.

Surely the residents would want this??? Like I'm thinking residents going in and out are affected as much (if not more) as everyone else.

Where would it be replaced too? Why do they residents not want this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

amdublin wrote: »
    Surely the residents would want this??? Like I'm thinking residents going in and out are affected as much (if not more) as everyone else.

Couple of things.
    How long would it take to bypass it? In Coolmine, the only option I can think of is to join two estate roads and close the level crossing. No one wants to join two quieter estate road together because it makes them a totally different thing.
    The other thing is that there are other, albeit longer, routes that you can take around these areas. But people will not use them because they are less convenient than the train route, despite getting stuck at the train line.
    The traffic planning around the area is pretty dire all round, the train making it much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Couple of things.
    How long would it take to bypass it? In Coolmine, the only option I can think of is to join two estate roads and close the level crossing. No one wants to join two quieter estate road together because it makes them a totally different thing.
    The other thing is that there are other, albeit longer, routes that you can take around these areas. But people will not use them because they are less convenient than the train route, despite getting stuck at the train line.
    The traffic planning around the area is pretty dire all round, the train making it much worse.

Here are some links with information on it.

http://rodericogorman.com/?p=1945

http://www.riverwoodres.com/2014/07/proposed-level-crossing-closures/

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6356340

The traffic will move somewhere else, so obviously those residents object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Murt10 wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky.

The gates at Coolmine are often closed for more than 10 minutes and only 1 train might go through in that time.

They really should be automated.

I live around the corner from the crossing at Coolmine, and have literally never seen that - any chance that either 10 mins or often is a bit of an exaggeration? I've seen similar closures with 3-4 trains passing alright, especially at evening rush hour, but 1 train for a 10 minute closure simply doesn't add up, never mind often. Logically the only reason that this might need to happen is that there is a stationary train within a section of track whose signalling overlaps the crossing, and may start moving again, so they need to keep the crossing clear until the train passes it.

Also, the Coolmine gates are automated already, unless you are referring to the Clonsilla gates with that part of your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Godge wrote: »
    Here are some links with information on it.

http://rodericogorman.com/?p=1945

I quite like Roderic O'Gorman but I cannot understand his objection to the closing of the Porterstown Level Crossing and its replacement with a foot bridge. It would significantly reduce the cost of providing public transport, increase safety and increase the viability of the line.

If IE cant get permission to close an almost pointless level crossing like Porterstown they will never develop the line to its potential.

Very few residents would be put out but he has obviously seen a few votes in it and is acting like lots of other parish pump politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

AlanG wrote: »
    I quite like Roderic O'Gorman but I cannot understand his objection to the closing of the Porterstown Level Crossing and its replacement with a foot bridge. It would significantly reduce the cost of providing public transport, increase safety and increase the viability of the line.

If IE cant get permission to close an almost pointless level crossing like Porterstown they will never develop the line to its potential.
    Can you please explain exactly how closing Porterstown Level Crossing would "significantly reduce the cost of providing public transport" - I don't think that it will.

I made a submission opposing the closure of the level crossing.
    TL;DR: Increased illegal dumping, increased traffic issues around St Mochta's NS and tougher pedestrian route over Dr Troy bridge.

Here is my full submission from December 2013:
    I wish to make the following observation as part of the public consultation on the Notice of Intention to Extinguish the Public Right of Way over part of Porterstown Road under Section 73 of the Roads Act, 1993.

I welcome the plans for the electrification of the Maynooth line though I do not accept that the removal of Porterstown Road level crossing is required to achieve this. There are ample level crossings on the DART line with very high levels of traffic across them.

Although the Porterstown Link Road was built with funding provided by the NTA and Fingal County Council, it is not sufficient to cater for the increased traffic as a result of the connection to Luttrellstown Road, the newly build Luttrellstown Community College and the extended Scoil Choilm Community National School. While the starting times of the two primary schools are staggered, the 10 minute difference in starting time is not enough to eliminate overlapping traffic movements.

Furthermore, closing Porterstown Road will make traffic congestion around St Mochta's National School even worse, with an increased negative impact on estates close to the school e.g. The Village. Leaving the road open allows for a one way system to drop children off and exit across the level crossing.

Closing the road effectively eliminates using Porterstown Road as a pedestrian route from Carpenterstown to St Mochta's National School for many families. It is approximately 800 metres from the traffic lights at the junction of Porterstown Link Road and Diswellstown Road to the school via Porterstown Road. It is an extra 300 metres to go via Dr Troy Bridge, with a significant vertical gain too. 300 metres is a trivial amount in a car but takes an extra few minutes for primary school children. This shorter route is attractive despite the lower quality paths along Porterstown Road.

Also, many school going children will have younger siblings, likely in a buggy pushed by a parent. The climb up Dr Troy Bridge while pushing a buggy is not trivial and the proposed bridge does not accommodate buggies.

There is already illegal dumping along Porterstown Road, especially on the southern side of the railway line. Closing the road will exacerbate this dumping. Anti-social behaviour will trive.

Also, there is very little passive supervision in the vicinity of the level crossing. Closing the road will eliminate this passive supervision entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

cython wrote: »
    I live around the corner from the crossing at Coolmine, and have literally never seen that - any chance that either 10 mins or often is a bit of an exaggeration? I've seen similar closures with 3-4 trains passing alright, especially at evening rush hour, but 1 train for a 10 minute closure simply doesn't add up, never mind often. Logically the only reason that this might need to happen is that there is a stationary train within a section of track whose signalling overlaps the crossing, and may start moving again, so they need to keep the crossing clear until the train passes it.

Also, the Coolmine gates are automated already, unless you are referring to the Clonsilla gates with that part of your post?

Live nearby also. Have been caught 5-7 minutes a couple of times before. But not 10+. Sure if people do not want to queue for the coolmine crossing just take the bridge road by the secondary school. Or go through Laurel Lodge to the Blanch bridge, should only be an extra minute or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Because any local convenience is completely negated by the increase in traffic it brings in. As predicted, the opening of the Porterstown road into Diswellstown road, and Dr Troy bridge, makes those junctions a car park at peak times.

All its done is made getting around at peak time worse. Most of the traffic is not local IMO. Its commuter traffic from Lucan, Meath and the greater D.15 area. Most of it moving at speed if it can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement