Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus wrong?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just noticed that on my last two NCB letters there is same number of ncb years, NCB letter from 2015 says 6 years and my current letter (one that I received recently due to my renewal this week) says 6 years again.

Was with my last insurer 5 years than switched in May 2014 so it should be 7, am I missing something?

Aig if that's make any difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

dzwx wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just noticed that on my last two NCB letters there is same number of ncb years, NCB letter from 2015 says 6 years and my current letter (one that I received recently due to my renewal this week) says 6 years again.

Was with my last insurer 5 years than switched in May 2014 so it should be 7, am I missing something?

Aig if that's make any difference.

Thanks

You are at the maximum allowance for NCB, you could be claims free for another 20 years and would still only get the same as a 5 year bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

You are at the maximum allowance for NCB, you could be claims free for another 20 years and would still only get the same as a 5 year bonus.

Similar point I made recently regarding a poster being off the road for 2+ years and was treated as a new driver when looking for insurance. But a claim can follow you for 5 years. So you're penalised after being off the road for two years and penalised by 3 years more if you've claimed.

6 years max NCB is just more manipulation and in conjunction with your policy excess, encourages drivers to settle claims themselves where possible.

But anyway, it's not like anything's going to change any time soon, at least not in the drivers' favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had a huge row with my last insurer over this. They offered a discount for 10yrs or more NCB which I was able to provide proof of but when I got my NCB cert this year from them it only showed 5yrs.

I demanded they provide me with a letter showing 11 yrs proof or to return my cert from the previous year. They said their NCB form is standardised and won't return my previous cert. Its with the insurance ombudsman now.

I don't actually need the cert as I already have my insurance sorted but it's a point of principal. They looked for it and were given it in order to give a discount so should be able to provide same. I had to provide proof of NCB for 10+ yrs but in reality I didn't need to because if I had a claim they would be certain to check my insurance history for any undeclared claims.

In short the insurance industry is rotten to the core. It's the most unfriendly and twisted industry where they will do their absolute best to screw you out of money at every opportunity and then will do their utmost to refuse any claim you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I had a huge row with my last insurer over this. They offered a discount for 10yrs or more NCB which I was able to provide proof of but when I got my NCB cert this year from them it only showed 5yrs.

I demanded they provide me with a letter showing 11 yrs proof or to return my cert from the previous year. They said their NCB form is standardised and won't return my previous cert. Its with the insurance ombudsman now.

I don't actually need the cert as I already have my insurance sorted but it's a point of principal. They looked for it and were given it in order to give a discount so should be able to provide same. I had to provide proof of NCB for 10+ yrs but in reality I didn't need to because if I had a claim they would be certain to check my insurance history for any undeclared claims.

In short the insurance industry is rotten to the core. It's the most unfriendly and twisted industry where they will do their absolute best to screw you out of money at every opportunity and then will do their utmost to refuse any claim you may have.

I know I'm dragging up an older thread , but... Did you ever get this sorted with the Ombudsman ?

I have at least 10+ years , but my cert is only showing 6yrs .

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Most insurers only apply up to a maximum of 6 years NCB, regardless of the amount of years you are claims free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Chiorino wrote: »
    Most insurers only apply up to a maximum of 6 years NCB, regardless of the amount of years you are claims free.

Liberty apply a NCB bonus up to 9yrs , but it seems that you can't actually get a cert for your NCB to extend that far .

Paddy land ,aye :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Liberty apply a NCB bonus up to 9yrs , but it seems that you can't actually get a cert for your NCB to extend that far .

Paddy land ,aye :rolleyes:

Hence my qualifier "most insurers" but yes, there will always be some that have there own way of working things. Typically, each years NCB is a 10 reduction of the base price, 1 year 10%, 3 years 30% etc but in Liberty's case, I doubt they are giving a 90% discount for nine years though.

Advertisement