Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurosport player - alternative to watching on television?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I'm considering cancelling my sky subscription and was wondering if the Eurosport player is a good alternative to watching cycling on Eurosport.

Obviously you can watch the majority of the races they cover live on the player, but as I'm working in July and when most of the grand tours are on, I was wondering if any of their evening catch-up programmes are on the player or if you can watch any of the live programmes on demand at a time that suits.

Currently I set my sky box to record and watch most of the events all through the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It's two years since I had a subscription for their player, and at that point they did NOT provide catch-up coverage. Watch it live or miss it....they made reference to not having rights to recorded footage for the player, despite having it on the TV broadcast, but I don't know....

It may be different now, but I'd check before I buy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've used it on and off for a few years (generally cancel and re-sub after the cycling season ends) and find it excellent. Definitely don't regret cancelling my Sky sub. I've read a fair few other people having problems with this and that but have had none myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

It can be hit and miss. They have a catch-up service of sorts now, a few hours after a programme is finished, it will be available as a 'video' to watch on the player (and then I think it's gone after a couple of weeks). You can also rewind to ~3hrs before 'live' and watch it on a delay.

However, I've had plenty of technical issues with it stopping randomly, page not loading, and never any response from technical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use a combination of Sky+, Eurosport player and another means of downloading.

I figure that paying for two subscription services gives me moral license to use the third.

The major advantage of the third option is that it allows much more efficient skipping and playback control than Sky+. For instance, you can watch at double speed with intelligible commentary (Sky+ is silent on FFWD).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have Free to air/saorview and Eurosport player.. All the TV I need.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a couple of posts

No discussion of how to acecss illegal streams permitted. Please refer to the Forum Charter or Seasonal sticky

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have the Eurosport player for the first time this season, after getting fed of the streams.

Personally I think it's great. It's Chromecast compatible, which is handy. My only complaint/ issue is that most of the catch up/ videos are flash, so doesn't work on my tablet or mobile. They do work on the Xbox though.

Also, the videos are often as live, but it does let you fast forward, including through the ads.

So no regrets here, between finally getting this, and the bike channel, I've seen a lot more this spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give it a go. It seems that on the eurosport player app that some of the stages will be available to watch as "videos". I'm away for most of this July anyway so won't be missing my sky subscription and presume I can acess the player regardless of whether I am in France or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I've had nothing but crap with it. It ruined the girl for me and its in the process of doing the same for the tour. It doesn't load, when it does there are videos missing. Today's special treat is that there's no TDF there but I can watch a poxy touring car race from a year ago if I want. No response from customer services.

Not available on EIR. All worked fine when I had sky. Yet another reason to regret the decision to move to eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've got Virgin Media and watch it on the Horizon Go app when its on eurosport live or the catchup show if I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've got Virgin Media and watch it on the Horizon Go app when its on eurosport live or the catchup show if I can

Same here. Its a fantastic app and use it on my iPhone everyday. I'm on the 3 network so have unlimited data so no issues with large bills

Same here. Its a fantastic app and use it on my iPhone everyday. I'm on the 3 network so have unlimited data so no issues with large bills

Same, unlimited download and decent coverage so don't need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

letape wrote: »
    I'm considering cancelling my sky subscription and was wondering if the Eurosport player is a good alternative to watching cycling on Eurosport.

Obviously you can watch the majority of the races they cover live on the player, but as I'm working in July and when most of the grand tours are on, I was wondering if any of their evening catch-up programmes are on the player or if you can watch any of the live programmes on demand at a time that suits.

Currently I set my sky box to record and watch most of the events all through the year.
    morning, I think the one of the ITV channels are covering the tour (may be mistaken) so perhaps check the ITV player option also.

on cancelling the sky subscription, one of my colleagues did this some time ago & the person in Sky kept offering him better deals to stay, 20/25 mins later he got off the phone, after they finally agreed to cancel the subscription, my colleague said it was very difficult to deal with them & he isnt a pushover by any means, he reckoned that they lose a bonus if the have to cancel subscriptions!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Can't fault it myself

Stopped working today, just after I posted about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Stopped working today, just after I posted about it

I see that. Very strange and TG4 on the app is saying they require wifi. PM on the way with app for you. MODS deleted from me before even though its totally legal app from the Apple app store.

Advertisement