Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2l Passat oil pump related problems

Options
  • 04-05-2016 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

My 2009 2l passat parked up - red STOP light on, and oil light flashing.

Got it checked, and no oil pressure present.

Oil pump was reconditioned before, a good while back.

Could this be something other than the oil pump ?

Is there a chain or a shaft driving the pump which could have broken?

Or would it definitely be the oil pump again?

Any opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's always the pump drive on these, never the pump itself.

Also, the pump itself cannot be reconditioned. In the unlikely event that the pump was faulty, it would need to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Yes common problem probably means the turbo is fried as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

It's always the pump drive on these, never the pump itself.

Also, the pump itself cannot be reconditioned. In the unlikely event that the pump was faulty, it would need to be replaced.

You sure of this? Garage man told me about 2 years ago that he reconditioned my oil pump. Now he's saying the drivin shaft or chain is broken????? "rippin it today" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

The pump might be fine the bit that fails is known to fail is a little hex key looks like this
    Photo-0730_zps6c4b4a42.jpg
    the problem is VW made them too short and too soft so they round off at the end and spin without driving the pump (this part costs like 25 euro and a few hours to put in).
    the other problem is that the balance shaft that the key sits into can be also rounded off but you can get them reconditioned with the key off ebay for like 200 (and you have to send your old worn ones back)
    IMG201208_xpwspqn_zpse2017be5.jpeg

however unless you managed to turn off the engine within a few seconds your turbo is most probably blown and if you drove for any length of time the could be damaged

i had the same worry on my passat but i got lucky only the oil pressure sensor was faulty however if someone checked with a mechanical pressure gauge then its defo the pump (how many miles has been done since the pump was reconditioned? generally you get 90 thousand miles out of a standard VW key unless u managed to do that sorta mileage in two years id opt to get a reconditioned balance shaft and longer key)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

You have to wonder at what stage people will stop making excuses for VWs engineering.

Mazda create a diesel engine that should not be turned off during dpf regen. Don't buy it!

Subaru produce a diesel engine with a terminal flaw. Don't buy it!

Fatal flaws in a VW or BMW engine? Buy it!!!!!!!!!! but you need to change the shell bearings/oilpump/egr/timing chain every second service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You have to wonder at what stage people will stop making excuses for VWs engineering.

Mazda create a diesel engine that should not be turned off during dpf regen. Don't buy it!

Fatal flaws in a VW or BMW engine? Buy it!!!!!!!!!! but you need to change the shell bearings/oilpump/egr/timing chain every second service.

Not very helpful to the op.

jca wrote: »
    Not very helpful to the op.
    You said it man! If he had bought a Mazda and not shut it off during regen he'd still be rolling! I'm glad somebody agrees with me :):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You said it man! If he had bought a Mazda and not shut it off during regen he'd still be rolling! I'm glad somebody agrees with me :):pac:

But it isn't a iPhone, sorry, a Passat....

Captain_Hindsight_766605.jpg

• Advertisement

Captain_Hindsight_766605.jpg

Lolz. A true believer, can't take any hint of a suggestion that this sh1t just shouldn't be happening in a properly engineered engine.

It's plain to anyone with an adult literacy level that it would be a lot better for Joe Public NOW and in the FUTURE if people would stop making exceptions for poor engineering from VW and BMW in particular. I don't what any of us are going to achieve here for the OP, but maybe other people could be saved the financial hit in the FUTURE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

You can see the key here. Terrible design. Too short and not a tight fit. Should have been a tight 8mm as opposed to a short, loose-fitting 6mm key.

Pics 3 & 5 show the pump components that had to be changed. The infamous tensioner is there too. Thats not in the OPs as I guess his is a gear drive system. Potential key rounding fail is still a concern though.

These are components from my 05 A6 with the notorious BLB engine last year.

385591.JPG

385592.JPG

385593.JPG

385594.JPG

385595.JPG

dodzy wrote: »
    You can see the key here. Terrible design. Too short and not a tight fit. Should have been a tight 8mm as opposed to a short, loose-fitting 6mm key.

Pics 3 & 5 show the pump components that had to be changed. The infamous tensioner is there too. Thats not in the OPs as I guess his is a gear drive system. Potential key rounding fail is still a concern though.

These are components from my 05 A6 with the notorious BLB engine last year.

385591.JPG

385592.JPG

385593.JPG

385594.JPG

385595.JPG

Waits for keyboard_cats "Captain negative" response.

Lolz. A true believer, can't take any hint of a suggestion that this sh1t just shouldn't be happening in a properly engineered engine.

It's plain to anyone with an adult literacy level that it would be a lot better for Joe Public NOW and in the FUTURE if people would stop making exceptions for poor engineering from VW and BMW in particular. I don't what any of us are going to achieve here for the OP, but maybe other people could be saved the financial hit in the FUTURE.

Can you not understand that telling the op not to buy anything VW is not the most helpful comment when they are asking for advice about the broken oil pump considering cars breaking down can be financially and mentally draining i doubt its what the op wants/needs to hear.
    i do appreciate that your comment might be helpful for someone who is thinking of buying VW and stumbles upon this thread. And if you wish to help the OP further with buying advice try here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99664933
    Or just wait till they get a new car and post about its problems and you can tell them they shouldn't have bought that car

Waits for keyboard_cats "Captain negative" response.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

Get a bed you two ;)

Advertisement