Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY project wood supply in Dublin

Options
  • 04-05-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I guess there people ask this question quite often but I'll do it again ;) I make all kinds of stuff from wood usually from pallets which is nice and all but the effort required to prepare them is too much to bear for anything bigger than making a shelf or some odd garden furniture.. I was looking for timber suppliers around Dublin ideally on the north side there is loads of them but the problem is that majority don't even reply to emails so I guess they wouldn't be interested in dealing with small customers who buy piece or two there and there. #So the question pops to my mind is there any supplier around here that I could go in and get a nice piece or two of timber for a project at a reasonable price.

Feel free to throw in any suggestions you have! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what are you looking for? hardwoods or softwoods?
    any builders providers will sell timber very similar to what you'd get off a pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

what are you looking for? hardwoods or softwoods?
    any builders providers will sell timber very similar to what you'd get off a pallet.

a range of softwood and hardwood would be ideal! I believe builders providers stock mostly pine which is fine for construction and all but for woodworking you would be looking at something at least a little bit harder, correct me if I'm wrong please..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mashed13 wrote: »
    a range of softwood and hardwood would be ideal! I believe builders providers stock mostly pine which is fine for construction and all but for woodworking you would be looking at something at least a little bit harder, correct me if I'm wrong please..

Maybe drop into a supplier. They may not be bothered chasing small orders by replying to emails but could be happy to help someone who arrives at the door with money to spend.

That was my experience when trying to source small metalwork orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Dublin is badly served by the timber trade. I once made a special trip to Mallinsons to buy walnut and was not allowed to pick out the best planks.I never went back.;)
    Many of the chain retailers have not restocked following the '08 crash. The only exception seems to be PJ Corry who are a NI company with three outlets in the ROI - none in Dublin unfortunately. If you want a small selection of hardwoods the Carpentry Store in Naas is well worth a look. Having no competition , prices are 'steep'.
    If anybody knows of a good supplier of hardwoods please let us all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

I've bought Walnut and White Oak from http://www.morgans.ie/ just at Newlands Cross.
    I just arrived in and was allowed to wander around the warehouse and pick out what I wanted. Then just bring it to the front and pay. They were helpful in pointing me towards the wood I wanted but also left me alone to wander.

Was my first Hardwood purchase so I cant tell you if it was competitive priced or not.
    Hope it helps

• Advertisement

istaunton wrote: »
    I've bought Walnut and White Oak from http://www.morgans.ie/ just at Newlands Cross.
    I just arrived in and was allowed to wander around the warehouse and pick out what I wanted. Then just bring it to the front and pay. They were helpful in pointing me towards the wood I wanted but also left me alone to wander.

Was my first Hardwood purchase so I cant tell you if it was competitive priced or not.
    Hope it helps

Good to know. Delivery will add around 15 euro so I'm saving up for a pickup truck.:rolleyes: I used to buy from Willie Crowley in Ennis and he had planks of aspen. Lovely white stuff as close to holly as you will get, but I've never seen it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Larry's on Grace Park Road D9?

Not your ornery onager

Morgans and Larry's are the two places that some people suggested them already I have to try them and see what they offer and how do they react to a small customer, thanks for advice so far, I'll have to post reviews once I visit them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anyone tried this? Wondering if it'd be of use for newbies looking to try a few different kinds of wood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which end of grace park road is larry's on?
    i assume they don't do turning blanks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

which end of grace park road is larry's on? i assume they don't do turning blanks?

Its about seventy yards from Richmond road - the other side of the football pitch.

Sparks wrote: »
    Anyone tried ..... Wondering if it'd be of use for newbies looking to try a few different kinds of wood.

well that works out at just 75e per sq foot which is on the expensive side for a random hardwood pieces, but might just work well if you working on a small project, a carving or so, I will have to save the link anyways :)

Sparks wrote: »
    Anyone tried ..... Wondering if it'd be of use for newbies looking to try a few different kinds of wood.

well that works out at just 90e per sq foot which is on the expensive side for a random hardwood pieces, but might just work well if you working on a small project, a carving or so, I will have to save the link anyways :)

Yeah, but I generally figure that stuff is going to start off being expensive on the per-unit side of things when you're just getting started and that you learn how to keep the costs down as you go on (I'm hoping, at least, since I'm only starting off in this; but it's been that way in most of the things I've done over the years).

But if anyone happens to know of a hardwood dealers that doesn't mind clueless newbies showing up to buy what are effectively off-cuts...

befriend your local joiner so; i was talking to a family friend last year (one of the last guys in ireland to make traditional spinning wheels) who was saying most of his stock came from offcuts from joiners because he doesn't need anything too big.

I have a local joiner? :D

iirc, a chap who trades under the name of two wooden horses is not too far from you. maybe see what has left over...

Ah, I'm not near there anymore MB, I've moved twice since :) There doesn't seem to be much in the enniskerry area (I know there used to be a place a bit further south near the bray N11 junction that did furniture, but I don't know if they're still there). I wind up in kilkenny every so often visiting herself's family, there's an architectural salvage place there that always seems to have hardwood planks on their stock list, might be an idea to take a look (and keep a saw in the boot just in case).

If you want a long weekend out its worth taking the car to one of the UK shows.They all have fantastic stands selling local and tropical woods. Trouble is you will drool at the tools as well so your CC will take a hit.

Advertisement