Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat 5th year or Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Im 17 years old and i am currently in 5th year and here's my problem..

I have been very sick the past two years especially and i have missed so much school because of it. Unfortunately there isn't much i can do about it as it is on going and i have been in and out of hospital.

Last year when i was 16 i did TY as it was suggested by my year head in 3rd year because it would be a good idea as im sick very much. As you know Transition Year isn't very stressful and i did miss alot of time during the year but i didn't miss anything very important that year so im glad i did it instead of going into 5th year straight after my junior cert and dealing with the stress of the LC course along with being sick! It wouldn't have made any sense.

I have always been a child that gets sick very easily growing up outside my sickness at the moment, i have always done very well in school in primary and i got a good junior cert for someone who missed alot from 1st to 3rd year. Better than people who did go to school all year long!

Last summer my doctor was hopeful i would be ok and no be sick again so i went into 5th year ready to work hard but it didn't turn out that way..i got braces in september and i missed a few days with that and then in November i got very sick again and i have been since. I haven't been able to go to school as i am in alot of pain and im going for an operation this summer..
    not to keep focusing on me being sick but my concern is what should i do now?

My plan is
    I would like to catch up on the school work i missed over the summer holidays( if i can get it from teachers hopefully)and go into 6th year and repeat my leaving cert if i have to. Obvoiously i would hope that i wouldn't need to repeat LC because i would be 19 starting college. As for catching up im used to it. my friends say to me "i don't know how you will catch up" but i know myself i can because im used to catching up on school work.

As for after the LC i want to be a secondary school teacher and i have my eye on Liberal Arts in Mary I which was 335 last year.
    these are my subjects. i only do ordinary maths and if worst came to worst i would drop to ordinary french but i dont want to.
    English HL
    IRISH HL
    MATHS OL
    FRENCH HL
    BIOLOGY HL
    MUSIC HL
    HISTORY HL

i am not naive in saying it will be easy because i know it won't and i would have to put in so much work but i really don't want to repeat 5th year.

It is bad enough im sick and that puts me down and i don't want to be left behind in a different year.. i heard that most topics are revised again in 6th year? as for the course i want to do i would be confident in myself i could get those points without awful pressure on myself. If i wasn't so sick id be cable of so much more but i know whats possible at the moment and whats not.

Regarding my school i think they will let me decide as they know i have been sick always and its genuine. my principal told my mom in the past i could get a teacher to my house and it would be paid by the department but we never heard about that since.

Honestly i would just really appreciate anyone's opinions and advise. Im a good student and im interested in my education and future
    also sorry for the long post im just worried.
    thanks

Advertisement