Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Party 12th June 2016 (streetfeast.ie)

Options
  • 04-05-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

I see a few in D15 listed here:
    http://streetfeast.changex.org/locations/

Stockton Park
    Ongar
    Castleknock
    Portersgate
    St Patricks Blanchardstown

Are you going to attend a street party or host one in your estate?!
    More info on streetfeast.ie

The Idea
    Street Feast is a national event to celebrate community. It isn’t any old shindig. It’s a not for profit, all-for-fun, do-it-yourself celebration. Street Feast is a neighbourhood street party that will be hosted by neighbours all over Ireland at the same time.
    This 12th of June at around 12 noon, communities across Ireland will sit down for a feast to celebrate community. They can be anywhere really - out on the street, in a local park or in your front garden.
    Why Street Feast?
    There are lots of good reasons to have a Street Feast. Most of all it’s a great excuse to eat good food, meet new people who live near you and have a bit of craic.
    Street Feast is all about celebrating our communities. More life on the streets, more friends closer to home and a celebration of the community around us. There’s never been a better time to shine a light on the communities, networks and organisations that are holding everything together. While some of us are lucky enough to be a part of a strong community, there are many of us who find ourselves increasingly isolated. We’re all going to need to strengthen our communities to cope with the changes we’ll see in the near future. Street Feast gives us an excuse to get out there, share food and conversation, and help build stronger neighbourhoods.
    Street Feast is also a great way to explore different ways your community can work together to make great things happen, you might discover new neighbours, new interests and new ways to improve your community together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Post here if you know of any more happening on the 12th!

Anyone know of any more??

Anyone planning on hosting/attending one yourself?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I haven't heard a thing about these outside of this thread. There's not really enough people on our road for a proper street party, and too much through (& speeding) traffic to actually do anything on the road. Maybe I'll come to yours!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

No parties in my area that I know of.

Couldn't figure out why it was on the 12th of june or what for, only copped on it's the Queens birthday celebrations, street parties on all over England.

septictank wrote: »
    No parties in my area that I know of.

Couldn't figure out why it was on the 12th of june or what for, only copped on it's the Queens birthday celebrations, street parties on all over England.

I don't think it's related to that at all. There is absolutely nothing about the Queens birthday in all the literature I've seen. Sure why would it be?!

England do have a long tradition of street parties alright though...

I believe this date was just chosen arbitrarily - could have been a date in May or July as easily as this date. It's just a summer party at the end of the day.

We are having one on my road! Will let you know how it goes later! (We have no plans to hang union jack bunting or anything let me tell you!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't think it's related to that at all. There is absolutely nothing about the Queens birthday in all the literature I've seen. Sure why would it be?!

England do have a long tradition of street parties alright though...

I believe this date was just chosen arbitrarily - could have been a date in May or July as easily as this date. It's just a summer party at the end of the day.

We are having one on my road! Will let you know how it goes later! (We have no plans to hang union jack bunting or anything let me tell you!!!)

Not saying Irish people are celebrating her birthday or anything of that sort but just following England's lead on having a street party on that date, like the way we celebrate Wimbledon weekends, July 4th, Chinese new year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I reckon the date was chosen because it's in the middle of the state exams and everyone knows the one chance we have for decent weather is when the JC and LC exams or on. Either that or they just picked a random date, I sincerely doubt that there's any following of the UK's lead in having it this weekend and it's merely coincidental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

I think septictank had his tongue in his cheek when he made the comment--- he could just as appropriately have said it was to mark the anniversary of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_O%27Neill,_Baron_O%27Neill_of_the_Maine

Advertisement