Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apache Pizza...and franchise pizza in general...

• 04-05-2016 9:26pm

I see a couple of these have opened in towns in the SW in recent months.

Have to say I've never had pizza from a Dominos, Four Star or the other franchises. I've only had them in restaurants - can be grand - or frozen - poor enough.

So what's Apache like? Has it a good rep? Anyone rank the likes of Dominos, Four Star, Papa Johns etc and where would Apache figure? Are they much better than frozen efforts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Have to say I've never had pizza from a Dominos, Four Star or the other franchises. I've only had them in restaurants - can be grand - or frozen - poor enough.

So what's Apache like? Has it a good rep? Anyone rank the likes of Dominos, Four Star, Papa Johns etc and where would Apache figure? Are they much better than frozen efforts?

Apache would be my number 1, followed closely by papa johns. they are both far superior to frozen pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I like Apache. Always order the super thin base now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Any of these are better than frozen pizzas (even Papa John's which are usually muckage).

Personally I like the Dominos pan with double cheese, pepperoni and chorizo. Fairly greasy so not to everyone's liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Dominos FTW! I'm a picky fecker when it comes to food and dominos is something that always is consistent. Now their wedges and what have ye are pure muck. I drive past at least one on yer list to get to dominos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

All of the big franchises pizzas are muck compared to the small independent guys (imo)

Bulk bought ready made dough, sauces, all the toppings (I swear that ain't really chicken they put on top) are again, bulk bought, mass produced and processed crap too.

Now don't get me wrong'that could be heaven for others, but it don't float my boat.

Don't even get me started on the other shìt they do. Wedges, chips and onion rings, all frozen muck too.

The dipping sauces are muck.

Can't beat the local bloke near me, hand made pizza bases, hand made sauces and nothing but fresh toppings.

His chips are proper hand cut thick cut chips too. (And not a frozen wedge in sight)

And surprisingly enough he's cheaper than the other shysters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

All of the big franchises pizzas are muck compared to the small independent guys (imo)

Bulk bought ready made dough, sauces, all the toppings (I swear that ain't really chicken they put on top) are again, bulk bought mass produced and processed. Now don't get me wrong'that coukd be heaven for others, but it don't float my boat.

Don't even get me started on the other shìt they do. Wedges, chips and onion torings, all muck.

Can't beat the local bloke near me, hand made pizza based hand made sauces and nothing bit fresh toppings.

His chips are proper hand cut thick cut chips too.

The Diner? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Apache is OK if I recall (haven't had one in donkeys) but the price of pizza, especially in the chain places in Ireland, is embarrassing. They're easy and fairly quick to make and cost under a Euro each (including cheese and sauce) if you go DIY, but I find if you're buying out and not doing anything fancy, that chippers tend to be better... only if they're good at pizza though, as some are brutal!

But how the likes of Dominos can charge 20 Euro for a simple pepperoni pizza, and how people will happily spend that over making 25 of their own for the same cost or getting one for half that price in a chipper, is beyond me. I've heard people try to claim it's just tastier/better/etc, but it's really not... Dominos especially, it's basically sugary tomato paste on top of a semi-stale hot sponge cake. It's horrific. There's a reason why in most other parts of the world they sell them for $5 (about 3.35 Euro, converted from Canadian $) or less, because the public accepts they are pure sh*te and they compete on price rather than quality.

Seeing the cost of some like Dominos in Ireland is as mind boggling as going to a place where the Tesco Value stuff costs way, way more than the 'hand made, organic' brands or highest value Marks & Spencers stuff.

Ah lads :(

I'm so full of longing for pizza right now. I can actually taste pepperoni!
    Yee feckers.

mansize wrote: »
    The Diner? :pac:

No Yobbos Pizza Action.

Its on the corso in Yabbie Creek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

They are better than a frozen pizza but not as good as a pizzeria.

Don't bother with any side orders though like chips or wedges. They are awful from those places.

• Advertisement

Of course he is! A pepperoni pizza in Ireland costs SIX times what it does in Canada. Big companies clearly know a bunch of suckers then they see one, and exploit it to the max! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yes they're better tasting than frozen but they're all sh*te nutritionally.

No Yobbos Pizza Action.

Its on the corso in Yabbie Creek.

beside the bottleo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I don't really like Apache Pizza had it a few times and they don't give a dip with their pizza's
    If i I had to rank my favorite pizza places it would be:

1. Dominos
    2. Four Star
    3. Pizza Hut
    4. Mizzoni's
    5. Papa Johns

The only frozen pizzas that are decent is Chicago Town pizzas.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Of course he is! A pepperoni pizza in Ireland costs SIX times what it does in Canada. Big companies clearly know a bunch of suckers then they see one, and exploit it to the max! :p

yeah but they are expensive to get deliver over to ireland and usually cold! :pac:

beside the bottleo?

That's it mate!

You been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Very surprising considering he kneeds the dough...

That's it mate!

You been?

I got lost on the way- I ended up in the city and couldn't find my way back.

I love dominos

yeah but they are expensive to get deliver over to ireland and usually cold! :pac:
    :pac:

Imagine a world where McDonalds cost more than fancy restaurants and the people insisted on paying for it because McDonalds is simply better quality? My mind just refuses to wrap itself around that! :p

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    :pac:

Imagine a world where McDonalds cost more than fancy restaurants and the people insisted on paying for it because McDonalds is simply better quality? My mind just refuses to wrap itself around that! :p

define "fancy"? I have yet to find a restaurant- fancy or otherwise- cheaper than MaccyDees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

define "fancy"? I have yet to find a restaurant- fancy or otherwise- cheaper than MaccyDees

Boojum?

Fancy could be anything from Roly's to a place where you could drop 15-20 Euro on a meal I guess, just somewhere that is established as being considerably higher quality and considerably higher price than McDonalds.

And that's my point! McDonalds is pretty crap but they compete due to price. Now imagine going to say the US, and finding a Happy Meal costs $30, and a Big Mac $40 while the public gladly go there because it's "just better quality, really."

It's... just... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We have started to make our own. My son is 5 going on 6 and is obsessed with Ninja Turtles and of course because of them Pizza. We used to get in a take away on a Friday. He started to demand Pizza and tbh me and the missus hate the taste of franchise Pizza's. So we started to make our own around a month and a half ago. Making you own is far better. I love thin crust and the franchises never got close to a proper one. Now Friday or Pizza night is fun. We make the dough fresh, slap a bit of Pasata on and then everyone puts the toppings they like on theirs. Would never order from Dominos or any of the others again.

gandalf wrote: »
    We have started to make our own. My son is 5 going on 6 and is obsessed with Ninja Turtles and of course because of them Pizza. We used to get in a take away on a Friday. He started to demand Pizza and tbh me and the missus hate the taste of franchise Pizza's. So we started to make our own around a month and a half ago. Making you own is far better. I love thin crust and the franchises never got close to a proper one. Now Friday or Pizza night is fun. We make the dough fresh, slap a bit of Pasata on and then everyone puts the toppings they like on theirs. Would never order from Dominos or any of the others again.

Well done you- but that smacks of so much effort to me.... :pac:

Dominos is a five minute walk away. They deliver. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Eat fast Als in Cork if you want to know what good pizza tastes like.top notch stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Out if all those franchise pizza places I prefer dominos, because the pizza is the best but also for the consistency. I have had a few apache pizzas in various shops across the crountry and out of all of them I think they have the most inconsistency with the pizza quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep it's a little more effort but it tastes so much better :)

• Advertisement

its like sex and ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ugh, two fast food threads in a row :/

Apache would be my favourite franchise pizza but the local chipper does much nicer ones for about the same price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

if I had a favourite from the franchises it would probably be Apache.
    Dominos tastes too greasy and I feel nauseous and shaky after 2 slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

its like sex and ****.

Pizza is a lot like sex.

Even shíte pizza is still OK like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You *buy* passata? Might as well eat some Crazy Prices pizza from 1992 then. Little plastic wrappers, remember? Basically brennans bread with ketchup and a few flakes of cheese.

Lucky to get one so you were.

Passata

Would ya ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I generally think that franchise pizza is ok. When I say on it's fine every so often. It's expensive enough tough for the quality of the meat that is on the Pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I used to be a Dominos fan, however in the past few months I've discovered Base Wood Fired Pizza (They have 4 takeaway/delivery shops in Dublin). It's so nice that it makes all the other pizza look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Muir wrote: »
    I used to be a Dominos fan, however in the past few months I've discovered Base Wood Fired Pizza (They have 4 takeaway/delivery shops in Dublin). It's so nice that it makes all the other pizza look bad.

Base is lovely but the last time we were in the one in Stillorgan I could overhear them training in a new chef and I knew it was going to be disappointing. I was right. Would have got better in a kebab house. Hopefully it was just a glitch as they are usually fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

20 for just a pizza seems like madness to me, for that amount you'd want to be getting a family deal with drinks and side orders. some places do the large pizza for 10 euro like apache, they have the right idea.

supervalu and dunnes do good hand made pizzas at their deli counters. its a cheaper compromise to takeaway and a step above the frozen pizzas. ive started to get those instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Robsweezie wrote: »
    supervalu and dunnes do good hand made pizzas at their deli counters. its a cheaper compromise to takeaway and a step above the frozen pizzas. ive started to get those instead.

I often find the bases on these tonne horrible whether you get it cooked in store or cook it at home. Toppings cam be better tough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

No wonder we are a nation of fatties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

No wonder we are a nation of fatties.

Because people like pizza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Pizza is probably my least favourite fast food. That said, Apache opened here about a year ago, and it's got a Chinese takeaway as well as pizza. The Chinese part was absolutely foul, but apparently the pizza got the thumbs up.

If I'm ordering, it's probably papa Johns or dominos, will dominos having a slight edge over pj pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This thread makes me long for some Difontaines :(

Apache is not the worst. Nicer, cheaper and not as greasy as Domino's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

RWCNT wrote: »
    Because people like pizza?

No because they eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Stone baked, thin base pizza from Aldi is as good as any franchise pizza once you dress it up with extra pepperoni, smoked ham & mozzarella & a fraction of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've had Papa Johns in the States many times as it's terrific & decided to order pizza from Supermacs a couple of times, consisting of precisely the same ingredients.

What I received on both occasions was a piss poor imitation of it's US cousin & I think it was a real misstep for them to co-locate with Supermacs - who consistently fail to get even their own core product right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apache pizza happy days

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Bulk bought ready made dough, sauces, all the toppings (I swear that ain't really chicken they put on top) are again, bulk bought, mass produced and processed crap too.

Now don't get me wrong'that could be heaven for others, but it don't float my boat.

Don't even get me started on the other shìt they do. Wedges, chips and onion rings, all frozen muck too.

Can't beat the local bloke near me, hand made pizza bases, hand made sauces and nothing but fresh toppings.

His chips are proper hand cut thick cut chips too. (And not a frozen wedge in sight)

Worked in Four Star for a couple of years and i can tell you the dough is all freshly made , I'll never forget having to clean the dough machine pain in the backside it is. Also the sauce was made in store and not bought in. All the ingredients were top quality. Used to love eating the pizzas fresh out of the oven...but leave it in a box for 20 or 30 minutes and it's far less tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dominos, Four Star, Pizza Hut, Mizzoni's, Papa Johns, Apache....all utter garbage. Really low grade toppings and cheese, stodgy bases, all saturated in grease. Pure crap, obesity in a cardboard box. And the price of Dominos is criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dominos is the king, no doubt about it!

Apache tastes horrible, they give no dips, and the song on their ad is atrocious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement