Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apache Pizza...and franchise pizza in general...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I’d happily eat Domino’s, Apache, Papa Johns, I love pizza and wouldn’t be fussy about it. But I can understand when people say it’s muck and overpriced. Here in Australia, Domino’s is much cheaper than home, you could get a big feed for the same price you’d get a small pizza + garlic bread/wedges at home. Domino’s definitely not as nice here though.

As a previous poster said about Canada I think, it’s the same here in that people just identify franchise places like that as rubbish and then you have so many authentic Italian places that do real proper pizza, made by 1st/2nd/3rd generation Italians it’s no wonder franchises have to drive their prices down to compete. It’s mad that at home you could pay nearly E20 for a small pizza with a few toppings and a side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dominios would be my number one but usually as a treat.
    I have to give a mention to the Chicago Town frozen pizzas. They are pretty close to freshly prepared take away pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I've always found Apache to be alright.

Pizzamax is great though, well at least the one out in Blanch up near Coolmine Industrial estate, probably the cheapest around for what you're getting in fairness.

Plus they do immense taco sauce bacon and cheese wedges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Pizzamax is great though, well at least the one out in Blanch up near Coolmine Industrial estate, probably the cheapest around for what you're getting in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hopefully they've improved then of are completely separate to the one in Dundrum (if I recall?). It was one of the first palaces doing late, late (e.g. Until 5am) delivery in Dublin, and we ordered it... Once. Even that locked and otherwise influenced, it was a contender for worst takeaway I have ever had. The garlic bread was literally garlic butter on toast made out of mass proceed bread. I won't even mention the pizza...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

caille wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with pizza. I really like it but it absolutely does not like me. I bloat up like noone's business after eating it, so I gave up years ago on it. I don't know if it's the gluten or the salt, all I can do now is have one slice of my husband's or a pal's if they are having one. I have to order a gluten free one sometime and see if that makes a difference.

I make my own though, with wraps or potato bases and I've told they are pretty tasty, so it's not all bad.
    Try the gluten free, own brand pizzas from Aldi, they are quite good as gluten free pizzas go & reasonably priced at €2.29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The artisan pizza comoany makes super light bases!!! I get them in Superquinn!

Couple of spoons of Passata, a ball of Mozerrella torn up and a sprinkling of Oregano. Then into the oven for about 5 minutes.

The thaw out from frozen in about five minutes too!

I love it with tuna and red onion and sundried tomato or chorizo and blue cheese!

Each base is around 350 calories so you could have a whole pizza for under 600 calories. Would recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

Try the gluten free, own brand pizzas from Aldi, they are quite good as gluten free pizzas go & reasonably priced at €2.29

Thanks a mill, I didn't know that Aldi do gluten free pizzas, will have a look for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Chicago town pizza is every bit as good as those take away rip offs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

smurgen wrote: »
    Eat fast Als in Cork if you want to know what good pizza tastes like.top notch stuff

Fucck that, go to the Franciscan Well. Pizza feshly made to order in front of you in a wood-burning oven, for a tenner. Seriously good stuff.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Go to Italy, and you just won't get chicken on pizza. Just not done.

Good for them, but we can do what we like here. Always hated this Italian food purist nonsense, if it tastes good, then fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

caille wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, I didn't know that Aldi do gluten free pizzas, will have a look for these.

Make a thread/post asking for other gluten free stuff in the food thread. They're a friendly bunch and some people there really know their stuff. Just saying because I love my food, am lucky enough to have no allergies (apart from my gag reflect for raisins and thick cut onions :p ) and would hate to have my options limited like that. Gotta be nice to find out you can try certain or new foods. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

anewme wrote: »
    The artisan pizza comoany makes super light bases!!! I get them in Superquinn!

Couple of spoons of Passata, a ball of Mozerrella torn up and a sprinkling of Oregano. Then into the oven for about 5 minutes.

The thaw out from frozen in about five minutes too!

I love it with tuna and red onion and sundried tomato or chorizo and blue cheese!

Each base is around 350 calories so you could have a whole pizza for under 600 calories. Would recommend!

I buy these too.

Once one had gotten a bit damp from being at the very back of the fridge, so i kinda pre-baked it for 5 mins before adding the toppings, and it was the best thing because it made the pizza just so much crispier and nicer.

Do it all the time now, just while the oven is pre heating and then cook for about 7-8 minutes once the toppings are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's been years since I smashed a Four Star Pizza. I know it's greasy muck but when you live somewhere where it's not available, you miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I've given up on franchise pizzas, the last straw was a couple of years ago. I collected them at the shop and I was salivating in the car on the way home in anticipation and hunger. What disappointment. Crap base, fcuk all toppings...it was overpriced tasteless crap. I haven't been back to since (it was Dominos's) and I won't again.

In the supermarket you can get a margherita for less than 2€, (not frozen) and then add all the toppings you like at home, 20 mins in the oven and you have a lovely and reasonably healthy meal for less than a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

They're all crap, pizza is only worth it from an Italian restaurant. Bases need to be thin and they need to be not overloaded with toppings. Proper mozzarella too.

Very pretentious and dismissive comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

I see a couple of these have opened in towns in the SW in recent months.

Have to say I've never had pizza from a Dominos, Four Star or the other franchises. I've only had them in restaurants - can be grand - or frozen - poor enough.

So what's Apache like? Has it a good rep? Anyone rank the likes of Dominos, Four Star, Papa Johns etc and where would Apache figure? Are they much better than frozen efforts?

Papa John's, Apache, Dominoes, Four Star....all utter crap. Greasy, doughy, rubbery shit that an Italian would throw in your face if you put it in front of him or her. That anyone can even call this garbage good is baffling.

Best pizza I've ever had in Ireland was from a pop-up in Galway called Dough Bros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

118 posts and no one has mentioned Dominos number one selling point in Dublin yet? That they deliver until 5am seven days a week. 4.30am large Texas BBQ after a night out is as good as living gets.

This thread has inspired me to try and make my own pizza though. I've made a list of ingredients and will pick them up after work tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Best reason for visiting Donegal is Pat's pizza in Letterkenny.

I love the chilli beef with peppadews added or the 'Ireland's own' which is bacon, potato, herbs and cheddar cheese. Yum! They seem lovely too.

In Dublin I love Brezzis in Portmarnock. Wood fired, thin base, great fresh toppings. I love the diavola with smoked chicken and Parmesan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Fucck that, go to the Franciscan Well. Pizza feshly made to order in front of you in a wood-burning oven, for a tenner. Seriously good stuff.

Good for them, but we can do what we like here. Always hated this Italian food purist nonsense, if it tastes good, then fire away.

Stick a few ice cubes in your chianti while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Claire_72

Dominos is the probably best take away pizza you can get at the moment apache and mizzoni aint bad either, firehouse is pretty nice but i haven't had for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Beefy78 wrote: »
    118 posts and no one has mentioned Dominos number one selling point in Dublin yet? That they deliver until 5am seven days a week. 4.30am large Texas BBQ after a night out is as good as living gets.

This thread has inspired me to try and make my own pizza though. I've made a list of ingredients and will pick them up after work tonight.

Meh, I just keep a few Dr Oetker in the freezer for just such an emergency. They only take about 12 minutes once the oven is hot and I don't end up feeling greasy and gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Meh, I just keep a few Dr Oetker in the freezer for just such an emergency. They only take about 12 minutes once the oven is hot and I don't end up feeling greasy and gross.

That's because they start out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Beefy78 wrote: »

Do that - you'll enjoy it way more! Once you get the hang of it, you can use things like buffalo mozzarella, rocket, sundried tomatoes, etc.

Pizza after a night of drinking is one of the worst things you can do to your body! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Was having a small party in a pub in my local town where there's an Apache pizza and non franchise pizza place that was there long before Apache came and undercut him and had meal deals etc..

Rang the local place. When they heard I was ordering 10-12 pizzas they put me onto the owner himself who asked what pub I was in and how many people were there. I was asking for 10 16 inches and was looking to spend €160-€170, he advised as the pub was all nooks and crannys and that I was ordering too much. He suggested to go for 13-14 pizzas at 12 inches and he'll make up and good selection himself.

He dropped them over himself, bang on the agreed time, included 2 pizzas for free and even gave a discount and thanked me personally for the business even though twas about €120. He got it spot on as there was only 1 pizza left over in the end.

I doubt i'd have gotten that level of service or advise from Apache and I would have spent more. All in all I always feel better doing business with homegrown businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Pizza after a night of drinking is one of the worst things you can do to your body! :eek:

Ah but it tastes so goooooooooooooood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Worked with a Sicilian in new York who brought in homemade pizza one day...mother of divine God I'll never eat that chain store muck again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Was having a small party in a pub in my local town where there's an Apache pizza and non franchise pizza place that was there long before Apache came and undercut him and had meal deals etc..

Rang the local place. When they heard I was ordering 10-12 pizzas they put me onto the owner himself who asked what pub I was in and how many people were there. I was asking for 10 16 inches and was looking to spend €160-€170, he advised as the pub was all nooks and crannys and that I was ordering too much. He suggested to go for 13-14 pizzas at 12 inches and he'll make up and good selection himself.

He dropped them over himself, bang on the agreed time, included 2 pizzas for free and even gave a discount and thanked me personally for the business even though twas about €120. He got it spot on as there was only 1 pizza left over in the end.

I doubt i'd have gotten that level of service or advise from Apache and I would have spent more. All in all I always feel better doing business with homegrown businesses.

Cool story, but Apache is a homegrown business. Also you would have got 10 14" pizzas for €100 which would have added up to more pizza for less cost. I'm all for helping the little guy, just pointing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I usually just fly to Italy if I want a real pizza or make my own here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I have created Facebook awareness to all this pizza consumption, we are a nation of fatty's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Just searched Brezzi's pizza on boards and found this thread. Had searched for takeaway pizza and came across the website for Brezzi's but I have a question; Does anyone think there is something inappropriate about the "Go on, treat yourself!" picture and caption?

http://brezziswoodfiredpizza.ie/special-offers.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Woah!

I get pizza from there the odd time, they're very good. That picture though? Holy f! Not a lot shocks me but that's a bit jarring.

Who decided that was grand to use as a picture? The photographer, the parents of the child, the website person, the owner...is there any one of them who thought "eh, actually that's not really appropriate"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Ahh, just checked their fb page...website has been hacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Just searched Brezzi's pizza on boards and found this thread. Had searched for takeaway pizza and came across the website for Brezzi's but I have a question; Does anyone think there is something inappropriate about the "Go on, treat yourself!" picture and caption?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umXtajVOVac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Their ketchup is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Wow. Why the f*ck is she in a public bathroom as well? It's extra creepy. Are those urinals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never understood just what the fcuk Four Star Pizza were at when they came up with their name. I mean they're picking their own name and don't call it Five Star Pizza? Why settle for 4/5 lads?

Advertisement