Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Society Outing: New Forest 21st of May

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sorry for the delayed post lads. Agreed that in an ideal world we'd all be out together but if the option wasn't there is would have missed the outing, so was good to have the option.

Great company from champ & GG, we had all shot shapes covered. Golfgraffix with a tidy low draw, high power fades from the Champ, me falling somewhere between the 2 depending on contact :)

Captain got off to a flier starting birdie par to have 7 points through first 2 holes. He had a great front 9. Think the problem might be being too conscious of his score.

We all scored fairly well on the front & fairly poor on the back.

12th hole was a shocker. I really don't know what the right approach would be. I hit a perfect hybrid, middle of fairway & was completely blocked off by the tree. I don't like holes like that. A bad shot should be punished on a course, a good shot shouldn't be, it's quite frustrating.

18th for long drive was a bum-steer by the club. Champ hit a cracker, but it's a tiny landing zone that demands a perfect fade.

Overall I enjoyed the course, was a vast difference on some holes between tee boxes. We were all only left with mid irons in to the first par 5.

Another great boards outing. Think the morning guys ended up with worst of the weather in the end.

Hopefully will catch yis at the next one again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Will the results be posted? Dak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Usually during the week dak when the committee have gone back to work ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rikand wrote: »

The marshland on the left of 14 should be a hazard. 15 all uphill and then an exceptionally hard green. 16 must be the toughest green in the country if not Europe. Did anyone else look over at the left side of the green ? ;)

14th was a hazard but was told the GUI told them to reverse that decision along with RHS of 5th.

18th for longest drive was a joke, should have been 16 all day long.

Great winning score, I won our outing there with 42pts off yellows but can't make par off the whites. Hope ye enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

slave1 wrote: »
    14th was a hazard but was told the GUI told them to reverse that decision along with RHS of 5th.

18th for longest drive was a joke, should have been 16 all day long.

Great winning score, I won our outing there with 42pts off yellows but can't make par off the whites. Hope ye enjoyed it.

Great score.
    Slave - what is the story, are people tortured with the place. Or do you get use to it.

I wasn't fully fit had worst round of year - maybe back nine is very scorable - was very short from yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭Alanm

Well done to AlanM in another huge score. Don't forget to hand that card to your handicap sec at Citywest, I see single figures for you soon.

J
    Thanks J.
    Would you be able to send in that card? the pic I took is pretty blurry/difficult to make out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »
    Usually during the week dak when the committee have gone back to work ;)

I've the cards at home and will be sending them on this evening.

As for my round, the less said the better. Such inconsistent crap it was unbelievable, birdie / scratch / bogey / scratch / par / scratch etc. Desperate crap!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Class day. Lovely weather and good craic. Wish I had a strokesaver though or some local knowledge at hand as there was quite a bit of hidden danger around the course. I was striking the ball well mostly and felt in good shape standing on the 3rd tee with 7 points on the card and a 2 in the bag. However a lack of local knowledge, poor putting and then a bout of the s***ks took the wind out of my sails. Post Punk and Fix for company. Interesting mix of styles between each us with a low, mid and high handicapper. We each had our own way of playing things and each our own highlights. I would have preferred the course off the longer tees personally as I feel that there are times that we may not have been playing to the intended design of the course.

Highlight for me was pre-declaring as I was standing on 18th tee that I was taking on the corner. Hoping for consolation prize for long drive. I hadn't had a great drive for the past few holes and I'm not generally great at recreating a fade. But it was now time. There we were, straining eyes as the sun was lowering. "Keep your eyes on this lads" I said calmly and confidently, "going for the powerfade". (I actually said powerfade). Aimed quickly. Tiger line. Open shoulders. I give it everything and a bit. Driver went "Ping". Felt solid connection. Probably spectators in the k club might have been able to hear the belt it made. Then Silence. Ball still in the air:
    -FDP (he sounded confused): "Where is it?"
    -Me (calm and pointing to the trees on the left where my ball is headed): "hooking into those trees".
    Cue 60 full seconds of belly laughs from the lads as we walk after them. Golf is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭athlone99

Very enjoyable round on Saturday with good company, DAK and tiger! The golf was very hit and miss, my wedges deserted me and i found many of the holes too short off of the front tees! The joys of being a big hitter! Loved the course, second time playing it and its an excellent spot!

On a side note played Dun Laoghaire Golf club yesterday, played the middle 9 holes twice for free at a conference! its a specular course and would be worth looking into as a society venue in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

athlone99 wrote: »
    Very enjoyable round on Saturday with good company, DAK and tiger! The golf was very hit and miss, my wedges deserted me and i found many of the holes too short off of the front tees! The joys of being a big hitter! Loved the course, second time playing it and its an excellent spot!

On a side note played Dun Laoghaire Golf club yesterday, played the middle 9 holes twice for free at a conference! its a specular course and would be worth looking into as a society venue in my opinion.

Agreed, dun longhaire is a fantastic course with stunning views & super facilities. Padraig is a member there as far as i know. Would be a good hike for anyone on the south/West coasts though (but probably comparable with powerscourt I guess)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Agreed, dun longhaire is a fantastic course with stunning views & super facilities. Padraig is a member there as far as i know. Would be a good hike for anyone on the south/West coasts though (but probably comparable with powerscourt I guess)

He lives very close by. As far as I am aware, he wanted to join to use the place as basically a practice facility for when he is in town. He was apparently offered free reign on the place, but he insisted on paying his subs along with everyone else.

Advertisement