Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain Bike Purchase

• 04-05-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a bike to help lose weight and keep fit. Any recommendations please? I like the idea of using the bike to cycle in a town also and mostly main roads.

I'm 6 ft 2"

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Get a road bike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Is a road bike what used to be called a racer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

forumdedum wrote: »
    Is a road bike what used to be called a racer?

Yes. Much lighter and more likely to be used on roads.

Thank you. I prefer the look of a mountain bike. I know it's not about looks but . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thank you. I prefer the look of a mountain bike. I know it's not about looks but . . .

My road bike weighs 9 kg. A dream to ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

What about a hybrid bike?

jlm29 wrote: »
    What about a hybrid bike?

They look interesting. Any model suggestions welcome. Is Halfords a good spot to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I'm thinking of buying a bike to help lose weight and keep fit. Any recommendations please? I like the idea of using the bike to cycle in a town also and mostly main roads.

I'm 6 ft 2"

Thank you

Get the Mountain bike and head up and do some mountain biking. I have taken it up myself in the last year and its brilliant fun. if your'e not going to do that get a hybrid.

Get the Mountain bike and head up and do some mountain biking. I have taken it up myself in the last year and its brilliant fun. if your'e not going to do that get a hybrid.

Thanks for the input. I probably won't do the mountain part. I would be cycling some country roads with some big potholes perhaps and bumpy roads. Hybrid ok for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thanks for the input. I probably won't do the mountain part. I would be cycling some country roads with some big potholes perhaps and bumpy roads. Hybrid ok for this?

No matter the type of bike, you should avoid potholes.

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, wanted a bike for commuting with the idea of taking up cycling. Thought initially about a mountain bike but research led me to a hybrid.

Now getting more into it and considering changing my hybrid for a proper road bike.

If I were you, get a road bike. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They look interesting. Any model suggestions welcome. Is Halfords a good spot to buy?

I would buy my bike from a proper bike store rather than a car accessories retailer.

You will get better bikes, service and advice.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would buy my bike from a proper bike store rather than a car accessories retailer.

You will get better bikes, service and advice.

True Bike shops offer really good advice and expertease but in fairness to halfords its hard to beat their Boardman range the specs are amazing for the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Cycling a mountain bike on the road is a bit of a waste. Too heavy and slow compared to a bike designed for the road. Get a cyclocross/adventure bike and you have the best of both worlds.
    I prefer the look of a mountain bike. I know it's not about looks but . . .

It often is about looks. But people will look at you and think you don't know what you're doing if you're riding a mountain bike on the street.

yes cyclocross bike could be what you're looking for - a road bike with bigger tyres and disc brakes that can handle surprisingly rugged terrain with a manageable weight penalty. hybrids are a bit naff in my opinion.

a lot of people seem to be put off by the road/racer handlebars. the thing to realise is that you never really hold them in the racing stance but rather on the top in a relatively upright position so you're not bent over all the time.

Definitely do not buy a mountain bike if you're not going to use it on singletrack. mountain bike on the road gets old fast with thick wheels and heavy frame.

glasso wrote: »

Definitely do not buy a mountain bike if you're not going to use it on singletrack. mountain bike on the road gets old fast with thick wheels and heavy frame.

I agree its like trying to pedal a tractor, great for singletrack downhill but going uphill or even on flat its bloody hard work

glasso wrote: »
    a lot of people seem to be put off by the road/racer handlebars. the thing to realise is that you never really hold them in the racing stance but rather on the top in a relatively upright position so you're not bent over all the time.

I run my road bike with a flat bar. Purely as I don't like using drop bars.
    A mate of mine recently got a really nice Lapierre bike on the bike to work scheme. Even though our bikes have the same group set (apart from shifters/brake levers) and wheelset he thinks I cycle a mountain bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Effects wrote: »
    I run my road bike with a flat bar. Purely as I don't like using drop bars.

This is my plan. I've a hybrid now, but it's getting a bit battered, so I'm either going to get a full service on it, or upgrade to a full road bike and retire the other one. But I hate hate hate dropbars.

Did you swap them out yourself?

Nah, just looked for a flat barred road bike and then took off the bar ends that came with it. Changed to a different set with a bend about two years ago which raised it by about another inch. Even more comfortable.
    Currently restoring my dads old racer. First thing to go was his old dropped bars. Replaced them with raised mountain bike bars to counter the drop on the old quill stem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Youvcan get some mountain bikes that are lighter than a lot of the mid range road bikes, tho you'd pay a tad more. Stick a set of slicks on the wheels and lock out the forks and your grang for commutes and also set up for the lighter trails. Any road cycling further than a circa 20km round commute ud get a cyclocross with slicks or a road bike

Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it.

I have opted for a Trek 8.4 DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, just looked for a flat barred road bike and then took off the bar ends that came with it. Changed to a different set with a bend about two years ago which raised it by about another inch. Even more comfortable.
    Currently restoring my dads old racer. First thing to go was his old dropped bars. Replaced them with raised mountain bike bars to counter the drop on the old quill stem.

You'd be hung for less. :eek:

Flat bars on a road bike look absolutely ****e.

In saying that there are some excellent hybrids that will give similar looks to a road bike but with flat bars.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/fastroad.slr/25089/90695/

OP I wouldn't bother replacing the drop bars just get a bike that suits.

From the sounds of it you'll be doing a bit of everything with the exception of what a road bike is intended for (going fast and on relatively smooth surfaces.) A hybrid or CX bike/gravel bike wold probably suit best.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bike-catalogue/series/cross-gravel-bikes/47/

Advertisement