Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else think Supermacs is a very bad restaurant?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I thought Supermacs was a horrible place a few years ago. I remember getting a bacon double cheeseburger and opening it up to only see that low quality burger patty. It almost looked grey. You know the type.

But have since had their snackbox and chicken sandwich where are pretty decent. Portions are good too. So it's a mix of the good and the bad like any place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

Can't believe nobody mentioned the burger sauce. Christ that stuff is delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Mediocre fast food for the price..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Wouldn't be my cuppa cha, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Never been in the door of one.

Ah but you didn't mention the drive thru!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

maudgonner wrote: »
    Two branches local to me will bring your order down to your table.

Culchie Supermacs ftw :pac:

Went in with my dad once upon a time. Both of us ordered fish and chips and we're told to take a seat.

Mine came in the usual Styrofoam tray with a plastic fork.
    His came on a proper china plate with metal cutlery.
    I have no idea why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Only place to be after a night out. All the young ones on high stools so drunk theyre eating their food with one eye closed in between falling off the stool.

Bit of drama with rocky 1 and rocky 2 standing by the door forbidding girls with no shoes from coming in.

And then for the entertainment, a few young lads hammering each other up and down the street.

All whilst eating your curry cheese chips that are so cold the cheese doesn't even melt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

smurgen wrote: »
    Disgusting.possibly the worst chips in Ireland.

Do they steam the chips or what?

Any time I've had the misfortune to partake of Supermac's, the chips have always been limp, sweaty and anemic looking - much like their patrons I suppose.

Culinary wing of the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

By far the worst out of the chains. There burgers and chips are disgusting the only edible thing from there is the breast sandwich.It is quite expensive too .whatever special burgers mc donalds have on are tasty the m burger was delicious

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Supermacs is a rip off of McDonalds but with higher prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Supermacs don't have a mascot clown waiting for you to choke on your burger though, justified price hike for that peace of mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Do they steam the chips or what?

Any time I've had the misfortune to partake of Supermac's, the chips have always been limp, sweaty and anemic looking - much like their patrons I suppose.

I disagree wi your opinion on the chips, but that is a very appropriate slogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Well. I love it. As the man himself says "You won't leave Supermacs' hungry"
    Not like McDonald's with their mangy skinny tasteless fries. And you can't even get vinegar there! FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha, that's brilliant!

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mansize wrote: »
    the house red is ketchup
    gammygils wrote: »
    And you can't even get vinegar there! FFS

Yes you can as...the house red might be ketchup but

the house White is vinegar !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Only place to be after a night out. All the young ones on high stools so drunk theyre eating their food with one eye closed in between falling off the stool.

Bit of drama with rocky 1 and rocky 2 standing by the door forbidding girls with no shoes from coming in.

And then for the entertainment, a few young lads hammering each other up and down the street.

All whilst eating your curry cheese chips that are so cold the cheese doesn't even melt.

Christ, socializing in Ireland is ****ing depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The place is a disgrace. I walked in today, nobody took my coat, nobody showed me to my seat, and when I asked for a wine list she looked at me like I'd two bloody heads.
    I'm still waiting for the valet to bring my car round, it's over a half an hour since I gave him the keys. peasants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Only thing I've ever had in Supermacs was a muffin with ice cream over it. Was grand I suppose! Didn't know taco fries existed until a few years ago, they look absolutely rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's "Shupermacs" btw, you're all leaving out the 'h'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Their Taco Chips and Chicken Wraps are okay. About it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I love supermacs but I only ever eat it after a night out so maybe I'm not the best judge. Their burger sauce is divine, I always get some with my chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's pricey as fook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Firstly Supermacs and its ilk are not restaurants.

Secondly, and more importantly they are not chippers either. Supermacs serve frozen chips whilst a good chipper will serve home made thick cut chips made on the premises not skinny cut frozen rubbish.

Why people are complaining about fast food joints serving bad food is beyond me. What do they expect?

Also, there is no difference from one branch to another, they all serve the same formulaic pre-packed food and follow a head office procedure manual regarding preparation. That’s why a Big Mac is the same wherever you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Unreal stuff Joe, they do savage pizzas and their chicken fillet burger is the dogs bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Burger King is the only one palatable of the big fast food chains for me. I'd find it hard to resist a bacon double cheeseburger when stopped at the services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

honreal wrote: »
    Unreal stuff Joe,their chicken fillet burger is the dogs bollix

Hopefully not literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

murpho999 wrote: »
    Secondly, and more importantly they are not chippers either. Supermacs serve frozen chips whilst a good chipper will serve home made thick cut chips made on the premises not skinny cut frozen rubbish.

Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Burger King is the only one palatable of the big fast food chains for me. I'd find it hard to resist a bacon double cheeseburger when stopped at the services.

+1 but KFC Fries are the best around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Maireadio wrote: »
    murpho999 wrote: »

Word.
    Up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

I say the young wans d be queuing up for a lad that'd take them to dinner in supermacs.
    That said I ate a fair bit in the one in Roscommon in my time on the road, grand spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

No way, I love Supermacs. It would be my main choice of take away. Although it's mainly eaten when I'm half cut.
    Sean O'Brien is very easy on the eye too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

My only problem with the Supermacs local to me is that if you go in during the day it is full of the roughest people imaginable. I've actually turned around and gone elsewhere after a quick scan of the crowd a couple of times.

Same used to go for Abra but the scummers seem to have abandoned it recently for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Fast food franchise, you get what you pay for, cheap food quickly that will fill you up & that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is what it is, a chipper, and a fairly mediocre one at that.

Car99 wrote: »
    Supermacs in Helston station is the worst

They say the crappiness of the food increases the further the outlet is located from Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

lawlolawl wrote: »
    My only problem with the Supermacs local to me is that if you go in during the day it is full of the roughest people imaginable. I've actually turned around and gone elsewhere after a quick scan of the crowd a couple of times.

Same used to go for Abra but the scummers seem to have abandoned it recently for some reason.

Always found them scummer/skanger central too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Food goes down easy, only problem is it comes back up easier ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I feel Supermacs is more appreciated in the west than the east..it's an institution of a place!

Nothing beats a Snack Box (or a Lunch Box if you're feeling like an awful savage.) with a portion of garlic (or burger sauce)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

lawlolawl wrote: »

Ever been to KFC on Parnell St!? Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Its a major contributor to the nations obesity epidemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

No. In Blackrock village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are places like Supermac's nearly everywhere you go in the world. I could walk in to one in Dublin and I could as just easily be in Cape Town or Toronto. The USA was an exception, though - I was out in downtown Denver on a Friday night, but the only open food place I could find was a Taco Bell. :(

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

It is what it is, a chipper, and a fairly mediocre one at that.

Its not a chipper to me, chippers don't use frozen chips. There's on in O Connel St. catering mainly for visiting culchies and the unwary tourist. Heuston station has a small one, I ventured in to that one and had taco fries and a mighty mac i think? The taco fries were ok but the largest portion wouldn't satisfy a shrew and the burger was poxy, but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'. Mediocre being the word of the day here.

Its not a chipper to me, chippers don't use frozen chips. There's on in O Connel St. catering mainly for visiting culchies and the unwary tourist. Heuston station has a small one, I ventured in to that one and had taco fries and a mighty mac i think? The taco fries were ok but the largest portion wouldn't satisfy a shrew and the burger was poxy, but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'. Mediocre being the word of the here

'Chipper' or no, gourmet fare it certainly is not.

Got a steak baguette from one once, there was nearly as much fat as lean meat shoved into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

To be fair, same could be said for a good load of stuff on Supermarket shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'.

If you did a blind taste test on just the 'pattys' that make up a Whopper, Big Mac & Supermacs Mighty Mac, I'd wager most folks would find the Supermacs burger the least palatable - it has an unmistakably cheap quality to it, similar to what you'd get with supermarket own-brand quarter pounders.

Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food not a million miles away from the catering van by the side of the road type of fare you'd get at a match & definitely some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food not a million miles away from the catering van by the side of the road type of fare you'd get at a match & definitely some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

A visit to supermacs is obligatory for culchies 'up for the match'
    Best of the cheapest burgers is prob the burger king.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

I'm partial to a greasy chicken fillet burger when I have a bad hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

love the smokey bacon burger and a curry cheese fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

No it's not. People are responsible for their own food intake, health and weight. If some people can't control themselves then that is their problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement