Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applying for c licence

Options
  • 04-05-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi
    I would love some straight to the point info in getting my C licence and possibly c+e licence, I would like to know how and where I go about it? and how much it costs in general, not including the cpc.

Any info would be great..thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

You need to do a theory test for the learner permit (€72), then to get your C learner permit (€35) you have to get a doctors examination and possibly an eye exam so another €60 (roughly) and you can then do lessons on a rigid only. instructor I know says generally 6-8 lessons if youve no previous experience but maybe 3-4 if youve driven coaches or large buses. €120-€160 for a 2 hour lesson (so rough costing €120 X 6 lessons = €720) then you also need to do a case study test for trucks (€72) then you can book your test for Rigid (C). You,ll need to hire a truck for test and probably a lesson on the day so another €180 give or take. Pass your test and youve spent about €1140 roughly but you cant drive professionally then as you wont have the cpc done.

Youve got your C license now you can get your C+E learner permit. another €35 (plus probably another €35 to get you normal license updated to add your C) back to driving school and another 6 lessons at €150 (€900) then hire the truck for test another €240 brings you up to €1210 and if you pass its back to the NDLS with another €35 to add C+E to your license so €1245 to get your C+E artic.

Total to get from total novice to C+E in and around €1385. And youve no CPC so youve no chance of getting a job and no haulier will even let you in for an interview without cpc or a tacho card which will cost you €45

Why do you want the license without cpc anyway? The CPC isnt hard and is only a few quid extra in the whole scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

neris wrote: »
    You need to do a theory test for the learner permit (€72), then to get your C learner permit (€35) you have to get a doctors examination and possibly an eye exam so another €60 (roughly) and you can then do lessons on a rigid only. instructor I know says generally 6-8 lessons if youve no previous experience but maybe 3-4 if youve driven coaches or large buses. €120-€160 for a 2 hour lesson (so rough costing €120 X 6 lessons = €720) then you also need to do a case study test for trucks (€72) then you can book your test for Rigid (C). You,ll need to hire a truck for test and probably a lesson on the day so another €180 give or take. Pass your test and youve spent about €1140 roughly but you cant drive professionally then as you wont have the cpc done.

Youve got your C license now you can get your C+E learner permit. another €35 (plus probably another €35 to get you normal license updated to add your C) back to driving school and another 6 lessons at €150 (€900) then hire the truck for test another €240 brings you up to €1210 and if you pass its back to the NDLS with another €35 to add C+E to your license so €1245 to get your C+E artic.

Total to get from total novice to C+E in and around €1385. And youve no CPC so youve no chance of getting a job and no haulier will even let you in for an interview without cpc or a tacho card which will cost you €45

Why do you want the license without cpc anyway? The CPC isnt hard and is only a few quid extra in the whole scheme of things.

Thank you for the great reply, and isnt the cpc seperate altogether?couldnt I do that any time? or asa soon as I get employed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

Thank you for the great reply, and isnt the cpc seperate altogether?couldnt I do that any time? or asa soon as I go about job hunting so its in date etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

tcrilly52 wrote: »
    Thank you for the great reply, and isnt the cpc seperate altogether?couldnt I do that any time? or asa soon as I go about job hunting so its in date etc?

the cpc test you do on the day of your driving test can be taken at another date however you,ll need a truck to do it and most schools would prefer you to take the truck once and it will cost you extra aswell so its cheaper to do the cpc on the test day.

no employer will give you a job without a cpc, they will want you to show up to the interview with your cpc done. your not going to get a job offer today and be able to book a cpc for the next day. if someone wants a driver they want them asap not in a few weeks when theyve passed a test they should have done the day they got their license.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

Hi Neris,

Great information there. I am just wondering if the test has to be done in a rigid. Could it be done in a large van over 3500kgs?. Also how many lessons do you technically need ? Can you get the licence without the CPC? Say you just wanted to drive a large camper for personal use and nothing else?? Much obliged, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You dont need the CPC if you are using the vehicle for private use, non-paying professional use (e.g. tradesman moving his tools and equipment from place to place) or if you are in the emergency services (e.g. RNLI, Coast Guard, etc).

I passed the C+E test in 2014 (and C in 2003) and do not have (or need) the CPC as I dont intend driving a HGV for a living.

If you dont want to take your lessons / test in a rigid truck, you could opt for category C1 (vehicles in the 3500kg to 7500kg weight category). Having said that, not many driving schools have such vehicles available for lessons. I'm aware of one school in Galway who do have a large box-body transit for C1 lessons (dont recall their name atm - a google search would find them).

How many lessons you undertake is up to you...it depends on your driving experience in large vehicles to date. A good instructor would let you know - after your first lesson - how may lessons you would require.

To OP, it cost me c.€3000 in total to get categories C (in 2003) and C+E (in 2014). Thats includes fees for theory tests, licence fees, lessons, test fees and (importantly) I passed both test first time (otherwise the cost would have increased). I travelled c.2 hours to take C+E lessons (in Athlone) in a wagon-plus-drag set up (i.e. truck + trailer as opposed to an artic). I didnt do any CPC tests..dont need them.

Hope this helps!

Calculations not correct there...should read €2385.

Silvera wrote: »
    You dont need the CPC if you are using the vehicle for private use, non-paying professional use (e.g. tradesman moving his tools and equipment from place to place) or if you are in the emergency services (e.g. RNLI, Coast Guard, etc).

I passed the C+E test in 2014 (and C in 2003) and do not have (or need) the CPC as I dont intend driving a HGV for a living.

If you dont want to take your lessons / test in a rigid truck, you could opt for category C1 (vehicles in the 3500kg to 7500kg weight category). Having said that, not many driving schools have such vehicles available for lessons. I'm aware of one school in Galway who do have a large box-body transit for C1 lessons (dont recall their name atm - a google search would find them).

How many lessons you undertake is up to you...it depends on your driving experience in large vehicles to date. A good instructor would let you know - after your first lesson - how may lessons you would require.

To OP, it cost me c. 3000 in total to get categories C (in 2003) and C+E (in 2014). Thats includes fees for theory tests, licence fees, lessons, test fees and (importantly) I passed both test first time (otherwise the cost would have increased). I travelled c.2 hours to take C+E lessons (in Athlone) in a wagon-plus-drag set up (i.e. truck + trailer as opposed to an artic). I didnt do any CPC tests..dont need them.

Hope this helps!
    Many thanks for all the information, much appreciated and very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Don't bother with getting the smaller truck licence (c1) unless you have a specific use for it in mind,(ambulance, cash in transit van etc) get the large c licence and that will cover the c1 aswell.
    Also you can do the CPC after getting your license, but for the practical you will need a truck and the driving school will most likely charge for it, I had to pay 100 euro to the driving school for it, despite the fact I never drove it or even started the engine for the CPC practical!

• Advertisement

cosbawn wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the information, much appreciated and very helpful.

No problem, glad you found it useful.

Have you decided what you will do, i.e. C1 or C test?

Are you doing (either) test in order to drive a large camper / motorhome?

Well I just passed the theory test the other day. So delighted with that. Now I just have to get all my paper work & medical together and get a lesson! Should be fun. Silvera a motorhome/camper is an idea i've been toying with for a while. A C licence would offer a wider choice of vehicle as some are over 3,500kgs. Apologies I never anwsered before, to busy swatting lol

No problem with the late reply..well done on passing the theory test.

I would advise you to go for the C test / licence too if possible. It does indeed give you more options.

When I was considering getting my trailer licence I was thinking that I would either go for B+E or C+E (I already had a C licence). In the end I went for the C+E and - while it cost a lot more than getting a B+E - I'm glad I did...it gives me way more options regarding what I'm now licenced to drive!

Advertisement