Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocked Lakes near Dublin - Fly Fishing

Options
  • 04-05-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to do a bit of fly fishing over the coming months and was wondering if anyone can suggest a stocked lake for rainbows? I worked in/fished in an angling centre during my college years (a while ago now!)
    Unconcerned with fish size, just looking for a bit of sport, catch and release. Google is proving surprisingly unproductive, and I'm very out of touch.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi All,

I'm looking to do a bit of fly fishing over the coming months and was wondering if anyone can suggest a stocked lake for rainbows? I worked in/fished in an angling centre during my college years (a while ago now!)
    Unconcerned with fish size, just looking for a bit of sport, catch and release. Google is proving surprisingly unproductive, and I'm very out of touch.

Thanks

Courtlough is Very good fishery! Here is a link, http://www.courtlough.ie/shooting-courses/trout-fishing/ Depends on what's hatching, I normally use a Big guaddy fly if theres no fish (showing) with a Floating line or a sinking line which is better with a 9ft 6-8lb line!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

+1 with Courtlough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Perfect, thanks folks. Exactly what I was looking for.

If your in anyway rusty I'd highly recommend a lesson from Gareth who runs the place.... Well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks for the suggestion. I should be ok, definitely rusty, but I'll know what I need to work on from a casting point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Join dodder anglers and then can fish bohernabreena reservoir. It's got a good head of both Brown's and rainbows and wild Brown's too. Can be a difficult place to fish but it's a good challenge all the Same easy fishing isn't always exciting. 10 Euro and you can fish the reservoir and the river for the season

Join dodder anglers and then can fish bohernabreena reservoir. It's got a good head of both Brown's and rainbows and wild Brown's too. Can be a difficult place to fish but it's a good challenge all the Same easy fishing isn't always exciting. 10 Euro and you can fish the reservoir and the river for the season
    Am still very raw at the fly casting but have to make the leap at some stage I suppose, thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That's superb value in terms of a club subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rathbeggan lakes got restocked today!

Advertisement