Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay or Go?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Any help would be great.

I've been working with a large technology company in a Finance Manager role for about 18 months. An individual within the organization has been parachuted into a role above me. Senior management are aware I had an interest in this role but management feel I need a little longer in my current role but assure me that they are pleased with my performance (9/10 last review, little constructive criticism etc).

In short, I am unlikely to progress into the role above me in a reasonable time frame. That leaves me with two options, hang around in current role for 12 months or so and look for a promotion in one of our offices abroad (France most likely - potential 20% - 30% base increase, husband is v supportive of working abroad as he comes from a big4 background) or venture into the external market where I could command a 10% base increase immediately and could start working towards new opportunities.

The worry would be that the present employer is paying lip service in an attempt to avoid having to replace a Finance Manager. Any thoughts or guidance on the above?

Thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Have you prior experience that would make you suited/qualified forthe Senior role? 18 Months in a role does not seem to be sufficient time to expect a promotion unless you has significant prior experience.

The person that was assigned the Senior role, were they more qualified or experienced for the job than you or simply better networked? Were they promised this role prior to it opening up? Do you know the reason that they were promoted.

If you resent your new boss, then I would advise leaving as you will probably not excel in your role under those circumstances. If you feel that you can work with him, then ask for he/she to delegate some extra responsibility to you to enrich your role. As a newly promoted Senior manager he/she will probably be open to support from an established manager withing the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hippo1234

Have you prior experience that would make you suited/qualified forthe Senior role? 18 Months in a role does not seem to be sufficient time to expect a promotion unless you has significant prior experience.

The person that was assigned the Senior role, were they more qualified or experienced for the job than you or simply better networked? Were they promised this role prior to it opening up? Do you know the reason that they were promoted.

If you resent your new boss, then I would advise leaving as you will probably not excel in your role under those circumstances. If you feel that you can work with him, then ask for he/she to delegate some extra responsibility to you to enrich your role. As a newly promoted Senior manager he/she will probably be open to support from an established manager withing the department.

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I would have had 4 or 5 years experience in previous roles. We have similar levels of experience but being honest, they would have a stronger internal network. I wouldn't resent the person at all - they actually seem quite nice - my question is more so on the closure of a potential progression opportunity and whether I should look elsewhere internally or go into the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Hippo1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and advice.

I would have had 4 or 5 years experience in previous roles. We have similar levels of experience but being honest, they would have a stronger internal network. I wouldn't resent the person at all - they actually seem quite nice - my question is more so on the closure of a potential progression opportunity and whether I should look elsewhere internally or go into the market?

From your original post it doesn't seem that there is a potential progression issue.

They have told you that you require more experience pre promotion and there is no way to know if that individual in the role currently is a stop gap or if they have a succession plan in place for you or the other individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Why did they parachute in a person to the role above you? Was it a role specifically created for that person? You've been 18 months in the FM role, is that temporary or are you being bounced back to a lower level because of the new person?

If they don't in action appreciate you & your work, it's time to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

If they don't in action appreciate you & your work, it's time to move.

Time to move? Pfft.

If you measure things by how you think an employer appreciates you and your work (completely subjective and largely a waste of energy) instead of finding out what they need from you to be given a real shot at the next promotion, you really should just leave.

To the OP, it's only 18 months in at this stage. Put in the work and be prepared for some things to take more time than you wish. If the job suits you and you suit the job, it'll be easy to add a little more value for your employer and line yourself up properly to be considered next time there's a more senior opening.

Make certain you have business qualifications also. Too many people think functional certifications, experience and the ability to be a good employee means they can naturally progress towards middle and senior management roles. It's not that simple. Get business/management training also so you're ready. If time is a factor, look at an eMBA program.

If you are good and they want you to grow into such a role, they will probably be supportive in terms of time and cost.

• Advertisement

If you measure things by how you think an employer appreciates you and your work
    If you are good and they want you to grow into such a role, they will probably be supportive in terms of time and cost.

Good one, meantime in the real world I wouldn't be relying on the goodwill & appreciation of any employer.

OP has good experience, at minimum speak to a couple of recruiters to feel out opportunities.

Good one, meantime in the real world I wouldn't be relying on the goodwill & appreciation of any employer.

OP has good experience, at minimum speak to a couple of recruiters to feel out opportunities.

Good one, nothing. The real world is what you make of it. If you want to wait for somebody to notice what you do and decide to give you a reward, you put your future in others hands which is a stupid thing to do. If you decide you want to progress in a company or career then you find out what they need from you to allow that happen, then go and do it.

Jumping ship like a wet rat just because somebody isn't giving you a hug and telling you you're great or asking 'is everything okay, hun?' is a surefire way to be disappointed. Keep that for your private life. In working life you need to get on with it or someone else will and you'll be left wondering where it all went wrong and why nobody values you.

The OP's smart. Clearly. She has support and she's motivated. Clearly. She'll do well if she doesn't end up miffed and feeling hard done by. Maybe she is, but she has to try to make if different next time. Moving companies won't change that. She gets good reviews and is clearly already appreciated for what she does now. The next step careerwise probably needs more steps on her part now, to be ready for a future opportunity.

[Good one, nothing. The real world is what you make of it. If you want to wait for somebody to notice what you do and decide to give you a reward, you put your future in others hands which is a stupid thing to do. If you decide you want to progress in a company or career then you find out what they need from you to allow that happen, then go and do it.
    ]

OP asked for opinions, expressed mine based on my own experience as a Financial accountant/Financial Controller. Not even sure what your point is other than having a pop at mine to be honest, but takes all types I suppose.

I think your opinion as you expressed it is poor guidance for someone with a great rating in her last review. Telling someone with ambition to look for a new employer when they're only 18 months in the company, when there ARE prospects of gaining promotion and international business experience with encouragement and support from their partner is bad advice.

I don't care what your job is TBF. The situation the OP is in has more to do with career development and opportunities in life and less to do with the 'thing' she does than you might think. That's okay because as you said, it takes all types. Not having a go at you, just pointing out that the OP sounds like she could do very well with some encouragement instead of being told she should give up before she's even started.

It takes time to build company experience, an internal network and to create a strong footing for progress in an organisation. If she left now, it'd be back to square one on those vital areas.

Advertisement