Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Update

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Care to enlighten us? ;)

On my key area of expertise that has not yet arisen? NOpe:P:), becaue a few intuitive ‘bits’, along with what I have posted here on Boards about my past shoved into a Google search would (actually will!:eek:) throw me up rather quickly. Rather not have that publicity, given some of the nutters here.

The other Pedro and I were schoolmates, when we were (and still remain) good friends. We actually caught up with each other on Boards after my return to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Going PM is a concious decision specifically focussed on it's disruptive impact. If you don't like the game, change it. Repeating ineffective efforts never changes outcomes. I can easily make a list with whom it will grate on here (PM for your copy)

This is a bit bizarre tbh. You started the thread with an apparent appeal that the forum was dying, but now you are taking this course of action - it doesnt make sense to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Going PM is a concious decision specifically focussed on it's disruptive impact. If you don't like the game, change it. Repeating ineffective efforts never changes outcomes. I can easily make a list with whom it will grate on here (PM for your copy)

This is not a site for PM discussion, and replying to posts saying "PM sent" is not acceptable. It goes against the very sprit of Boards. This is a final warning on this matter.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The former peterdalkey

For clarity, the ban is on posting "PM sent" but not on sending PMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nothing like a bit of word lawyering, eh? We cannot stop you sending PMs to other Boards posters. However, sending PMs rather than engaging openly in this forum is, frankly, not an acceptable way of engaging on Boards. If you intend to engage via PM, I suggest that you find another online community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The former peterdalkey

Very good at the defensive, will wait to see if the proactive ever kicks in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Not only are you putting YOUR financial security on the line, but you're also effecting your family.

Not only are you effecting your family, you're also asking your landlord to take a risk on you, and since you never know THEIR position, you're taking a responsibility for their financial security too.

Not only that, but your suppliers enter into this with you. AND your create a risk of loss or damage for your customers too.

In addition, you also create reputational risk for the industry you're in, which effects every player from big to small in that industry.

How many of us really understood this concept though? once the reality kicks in it is sink or swim

I had a few businesses over the years all successful, with hindsight If I had known what was involved in taking that to ecommerce I
    would never have gone near it but as I passionately believe in what I do I got my google certs, am in the process of getting a degree and had so much money in it I couldn't quit

The business has stabalised to the point the bank want me to go into debt with them, my turnover is trebling year on year so now they want to help me, funny that!

It is tough going, for any of you who have seen me on other forums you know I am a tad homeless due more to where I live and the economy than anything else, but because I put all of my savings into the business and had no salary for years, now that I am over the shock I have started another twitter company so it is not all bad.

I had a crazy idea when I had a lot of savings, I failed repeatedly due to lack of knowledge but am getting there, in another couple of years I will be at the top with the main business and due to a couple of other businesses that sort of appeared overnight from an idea.

I agree tax questions are annoying but when you are a start up with no budget and not much of a clue what you are doing the answer from a forum about your tax question could be the make or break of a business

Why not give everyone a chance? starts ups do not have our experience, I did but bringing it to the web was an eye opener, now it is all starting to come together nicely but stupid questions need to be asked to get you a step forward

Edited to add, degree or no degree I still can't work "quotes"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Edited to add, degree or no degree I still can't work "quotes"

Amongst other things apparently. :)

dudara wrote: »
    I've caught up on this thread, and last week I have kick started several discussions in the mod forums where we will review the suggestions made. Due to the voluntary nature of modding, things can take a while to happen and I patiently ask you to give the team time to discuss. In the meantime, please feel free to continue to share your constructive thoughts.

Great. (Genuinely, I'm not being sarcastic.) Let's see what the outcome is, soon. The clock is ticking.

Case study to use as a model/help the discussions:-

A long time ago a business was being told that its CRM model was under question. Through feedback, a broad spectrum of its customers (difficult / best / most frequent) had even suggested the model was flawed and urgently needed to be changed.

Eventually the business listened and after another wait it got around to doing a customer survey. The response level was good and the feedback/suggestions generally were very constructive.

However, instead of reverting to the customer base and saying “We have taken your views on board and are implementing some changes”, they did nothing.

As a result the quality of their product continued to deteriorate, as did relations with the customers, some of whom were periodically placed ‘on stop’ others even had their accounts closed or simply stopped doing business and walked.

That survey was initiated on a business management forum on this day nine months ago. 12 August 2015 The remaining customers are more than a little concerned.

I'm not pointing fingers at Mods, as I think they are volunteers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not pointing fingers at Mods, as I think they are volunteers.
    Mods all the way to and including Admins are volunteers to be exact; the only paid staff so to speak you'd see regularly would be Dav and of course the boards.ie <name> accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

It is rather sad to see the interaction and thread volume decline so dramatically on this forum. Many of the more informed/useful posters seem to have given up. Perhaps the job's market has cleaned out all those that saw the enterprise dream as the only hope.

Maybe people are concentrating on their business operations instead of spending their time on forums.

I find some forums and groups can breathe cynicism and negativity, dip in and out of this on rare occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

FWIW, I was a regular lurker on this forum while I was in an active "entrepreneurial" phase. Now, however, I'm in the trough of the cycle, back to being a boring salaried contractor while I wait for the world to recognise the value of my ideas! And building up funds to go it alone if the world doesn't. :)

My own experience and expertise would be pretty "niche" so I haven't contributed much to this forum, but did appreciate the more lively discussions which helped me frame my own ideas. Even some of the more ... "entry level" ... questions were useful, as I could see how a variation on the theme could fit into a project I was working on at the time, some ideas being worth pursuing by PM, and the enthusiasm that accompanies them is not to be belittled.

I've got six months of "normal" work confirmed; after that, maybe I'll get back to entrepreneuring and need an active E&BM forum to visit.

Sad to see zero suggestions have been taken on board from this thread, just like the previous one a year ago. I think its clearly established that boards.ie couldn't care less. Of all the pages to take a few suggestions from, the one that entrepreneurs contribute to (and there are plenty of successful ones around here) you would think would be taken a little seriously. Unfortunately not.
    I am now changing my landing page on boards from the E&BM to the Film forum. Equally as a matter of principal and a matter of no benefit to checking this place out anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Well, all I can say is this isn't a good "result"...

We've had an Atlas Shrugged type scenario here in the last couple of years. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

DubTony wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is this isn't a good "result"...

We've had an Atlas Shrugged type scenario here in the last couple of years. Not good.

Had to google that one......
    The book depicts a dystopian United States, wherein many of society's most prominent and successful industrialists abandon their fortunes and the nation itself, in response to aggressive new regulations, whereupon most vital industries collapse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The feedback has been received and noted. As with all changes on boards they take time to be approved and implemented and you may be aware there is a lot going on right now on the admin side with the change of the look and layout of boards.

In line with the current changes across boards first steps being implemented are the merging of a some of the existing forums that lie under business in with E&BM. Going forward the general direction of boards is to have fewer rather than more forums.

So E&BM will cater for the existing content as well as merging in the following.

Event Management
    Marketing
    Public Relations

The merger is done at an Admin level so will be processed in the next few days.

Once that has gone through we will evaluate the feedback from this thread and implement some of those in the next set of changes shortly after the merger of the above forums.

The current summary of changes put forward as suggestions is as follows:

Private/Invite Only Forum like Soccer
    Sub Category For existing businesses
    Dragons/Experts with Icons

Charter Update
    Remove Information,Essential Reading & Links

Stickies to be used as chat areas with the below created
    Sticky for App Dev/IT issues
    Sticky for HR/Employment Issues
    Sticky for Oveersea's Business/Export
    Sticky for Corporate Governance

Break E&BM into 3 sub forums
    Start Your Own Business - with 'Resources for Entrepreneurs and First Time Business people'
    Second - Ideas, Sales & Marketing - New ideas can be debated, sales strategies, marketing strategies. Also have a Students debate sticky in here for homework assignments
    Third - Management and Performance - which is a bit more higher level with deeper debates
    Dragon Avatars

Anything happening?

The merger was done today bringing over existing content from

Event Management
    Marketing
    Public Relations

and combining them into E&BM.

We will take a look over the next few days at the list and what will be actioned in the next set of changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Did I miss something....don't look like it... must have been a virtual pokemon?

mrawkward wrote: »
    Did I miss something....don't look like it... must have been a virtual pokemon?

Considering you are apparently a new user on boards then no you didn't miss anything. Your reply adds no value so kindly refrain from posting in this thread.

• Advertisement

To the other posters who's posts I removed, please don't be derailing the thread with personal comments and the usual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

This might have been posted before but I would like to see the option to post anonymously in this forum. I'm sure others have experienced it where they would rather not ask a question because of it then being associated with their business. For example if someone had a conflict with a customer/client and wants to seek advice, being able to do so anonymously would be much more preferable.

Will add it to the list and see if its something that is possible or not on regular forums.

Advertisement