Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pitching a tent just outside Dublin

• 05-05-2016 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. I'm just recently homeless and I was looking at the services and they just don't seem very useful, I don't want to wake up some morning to a junky pointing a syringe at me or have or robbing me or both. I am simply one of these people that if it came to it I cannot defend myself. So please could you please tell me somewhere not too far from the city center but not in it (preferably on a Luas line because I can jump on the Luas free but doesn't have to be) where it would be free from hassle from Gards scumbags (what's the difference?) and anyone else where I could pitch a large 3 man tent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Hi. I'm just recently homeless and I was looking at the services and they just don't seem very useful, I don't want to wake up some morning to a junky pointing a syringe at me or have or robbing me or both. I am simply one of these people that if it came to it I cannot defend myself. So please could you please tell me somewhere not too far from the city center but not in it (preferably on a Luas line because I can jump on the Luas free but doesn't have to be) where it would be free from hassle from Gards scumbags (what's the difference?) and anyone else where I could pitch a large 3 man tent?
    What did the Gardai do to you? I'd be looking at setting up shop in the Wicklow mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 26 griffincathal

What did the Gardai do to you? I'd be looking at setting up shop in the Wicklow mountains
    Nothing yet since I'm just homeless a couple of weeks so I've been staying in tourist hostels but that has to end pretty soon but I've been using the food services in Dublin and so many service users were telling me that they have been arrested for trespassing, had their tent confiscated, been kicked awake by Gards, been physically and verbally abused by Gards and from a couple small run ins (having 1 can in public, things like that) i've had with them I well believe them because I can see the type of people the gards are.

Also they've had their tents and or sleeping bag set on fire by other homeless, property robbed while asleep and badly beaten by homeless. So I'm just find a place just outside the city center (preferably on a Luas line so I'm close to the services in Dublin to pitch my large fairly obvious tent in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I'm sorry but we can't advise you on illegal acts, be it squatting or riding the luas for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I'm sorry but we can't advise you on illegal acts, be it squatting or riding the luas for free.

The OP may well have a travel pass. That's how I read it anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I don't know if you have any funds OP but there is Camac Valley Camping Park off the Naas Road. - http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/dublin/camac-valley-tourist-caravan-camping-park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

genuinely sorry to read of your story:( this is a fecked up country we inhabit.

places to camp near luas :Pheonix park and Marley park both are huge with plenty of quiet mature wooded spots where you can pitch a tent without been seen and get a decent nights sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Marley is a closed park. Phoenix is an open park,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Esel

griffincathal, if I was planning what you want to do, I would sell the large tent and buy a good bivvy bag, and a self-inflating insulating mattress. I presume you have a good sleeping bag already.

I would sleep in various places which I considered to be 'safe', at very random intervals. I would arrive quietly, and depart early. I would avoid the Phoenix Park. I would check out suburban church grounds, smaller parks etc in 'respectable' areas.

However, I would first have exhaustively explored available homeless accommodation. Don't believe all the horror stories. Much better for you to be in a managed, supervised facility, Absolutely much safer for you.

The possibility of conflict sleeping alone outdoors in the city is way, way higher than sleeping in a managed shelter.

Be safe.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement