Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive By Inspections

Options
  • 05-05-2016 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a breakdown of how an incidental inspection should be run? Arrival time at the school, times that teacher gets told, cancelling class tests etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

we had one last week, the list of lesson went up at 9:20 and she attended class at 9:35.
    I think we were shafted on that one, but alas it all goes the same as it would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We had once in Feb. He arrived about 8.45. List went up on the board during first class, typical I got him second class...he went to 6 classes ( I think) and generally gave positive feedback to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Does anyone know if there is a breakdown of how an incidental inspection should be run? Arrival time at the school, times that teacher gets told, cancelling class tests etc

What would you be cancelling a class test for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

What would you be cancelling a class test for?

I had an incidental inspection and had to cancel a class test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This is why I was wondering was there any regulations as such. We've had an inspection where it was less than 10 minutes notice the first teacher got. Teachers were told to cancel tests. I'm just curious as to whether there is any written agreement on things like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

Have you seen this guide to Incidental Inspections: https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/Evaluation-Reports-Guidelines/insp_guide_incidental_inspection_second_level_2012_pdf.pdf

Jamfa wrote: »

No I hadn't thank you.

Interesting to note it says draft timetable to be provided as soon as possible after arrival. It was 50 minutes in our last one and less than 10 to the first inspection.

I personally have a huge problem with being told to cancel tests as has happened in our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If you had a test planned, how can they then expect you to teach a planned out class! Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I actually don't understand. Who tells you to cancel the class test?

I actually don't understand. Who tells you to cancel the class test?

The inspector insisted that the class test be cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The inspector insisted that the class test be cancelled
    I'd be inclined to tell them where to go. I can't speak for everyone but if I tell my students they have a test, half of them will come in without any books and will only bring what they think they'll need for the test, not to mention that inspections aren't supposed to disrupt the running of the school anyway. I don't know what my principal would say but I'd be inclined to find out, if I was in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Shocked to hear you were told to cancel a test! How unprofessional. The students would be unprepared for the lesson, you would not have prepared materials. You may want the test to inform your planning. And it's unfair to mess the students around if they had prepared for a test.

Shocked to hear you were told to cancel a test! How unprofessional. The students would be unprepared for the lesson, you would not have prepared materials. You may want the test to inform your planning. And it's unfair to mess the students around if they had prepared for a test.

Not me, another teacher in the school. I thought it was unprofessional myself. And thought the length of time it took the inspector to let the teachers know was ridiculously slow too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Not me, another teacher in the school. I thought it was unprofessional myself. And thought the length of time it took the inspector to let the teachers know was ridiculously slow too
    If an inspector acts unprofessionally then you should take it up with the Ombudsman, who holds civil servants to account (Inspectors are civil servants).

Advertisement