Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular opinions on your club

• 05-05-2016 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭

So was talking with friends and this topic came up for discussion came up thought it might be a interesting topic.

So what is a common opinion on the team you support that you just dont agree with. so can be players, style of play, jerseys etc

Mine was i never really thought scholes was as great as united fans thought. Always thought he was a very good player just not great to me like Keane was.

i know that will be very unpopular.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

As a Chelsea fan, I don't agree whatsoever that money buys success, you need a proper manager, as this season has shown (look at Leicester then look at the big spending teams).

I've also been told that I shouldn't support Chelsea because they have a racist element. Football isn't about racism, ffs, it's about football. As long as the club doesn't have an anti-Irish policy, I don't see why some Chelsea fans being racist twats means I shouldn't support them. I've met plenty of English Chelsea fans and never had any trouble with them for being Irish, we actually bonded because we were Chelsea fans. There is that element there but it's nothing to do with the club and I'm not going to let it stop me supporting the team I've been supporting for years.

Similarly, as an Atleti fan, I've been told not to support them because of the violence and right-wing views associated with the ultras. Again, it's nothing to do with me. I support the team because I do. I don't take my political line from other people who are tangentially linked to me through a shared interest. Neither do I condone their violence just because we happen to support the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man United; Bruce and Palister were not as good as some like say and it was Schmeichel who saved their Bacon more then should have.

And for Hibs is that it's a "Irish Club". No its a Scottish club, with Irish tradition.

Cork City; don't really have any I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cork City; don't really have any I can think of.

I can think of one.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal: I have no issue with the likes of Nasri and van Persie wanting out when they did. If you're in a job and someone else offers you more money and a better chance of bonuses/promotion, you take it. They both get fierce stick from the vast majority of fans but good luck to them as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

keano_afc wrote: »
    Arsenal: I have no issue with the likes of Nasri and van Persie wanting out when they did. If you're in a job and someone else offers you more money and a better chance of bonuses/promotion, you take it. They both get fierce stick from the vast majority of fans but good luck to them as far as I'm concerned.
    Particularly because both joined Arsenal from other clubs, neither came through the youth system. They joined for more money and left for more money.

Sligo Rovers: I feel we should erect a statue of Pascal Millien at the entrance to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool

Sturridge needs to be sold to make the squad better.
    I'd not be unhappy if the side missed out on European Football next season unless it's the Champions League (we'll know more about that at 10 pm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Liverpool.

1. On the list of all time great Liverpool players Steven Gerrard is not in the top 3.

2. I'd sell Sturridge...if the price was right.

3. The decision to replace Benitez was correct (it was the choice of replacement that was the problem!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sky88 wrote: »

Mine was i never really thought scholes was as great as united fans thought. Always thought he was a very good player just not great to me like Keane was.

i know that will be very unpopular.

I agree with you. I loved Scholes but He was never top top class. He was very close to it, but he went missing in games I found. Keane was a catalyst, a warrior. Someone you would call an all time great. He won games on his own more often than Scholes or any of the other players I found. It's easier to like Scholesy over him, for obvious reasons.

Scholes was an 8.5/10 player for me. Keane a 9 or a 9.5 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Everton - I believe in the philosophy of Roberto Martinez , he does it with a smile , when Everton played well this year , loved that brand of football , it is what I was raided on , not many on the Everton forum shared my POV - hasn't really worked out for him at Everton , but still think he is a good manager , helped create the emergence of Swansea , and won an FA cup with a small team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ryan Giggs is no where near the greatest player, never mind Man United player, of the Premier League era. Was absolutely ridiculous he when re received that award to mark the 20th anniversary.

Whatever about talent, RVP, Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo*, even the Vida-Rio-VDS axis, were far more influential to the side's dominance.

Very over-hyped.

*if Ronaldo is regarded as among one the all-time greats in the history of the game, then surely he should be thought of higher as a PL great than Giggsy?

• Advertisement

*if Ronaldo is regarded as among one the all-time greats in the history of the game, then surely he should be thought of higher as a PL great than Giggsy?
    26 total strike rate: 0.40
    ---
    47 total strike rate: 1.04

Make any more sense now? Not that I think Giggs is the greatest ever Premier League Player (C) TM, but Ronaldo didn't do anything at United when compared to what he's done since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

As a Chelsea fan, I was delighted to see us win buckets of silverware under Mourinho, but I didn't like the way his teams often played - it was like watching a cement mixer at times.

I also didn't want him to come back. I wanted to see Ancelotti return to create a lasting dynasty. I still hope he does that some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I've no problem with milner being vice captain and think he has been a good signing. Torres was right to leave when he did and I'm delighted he has got his career back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Diaby was my favourite Arsenal player for years :o I think were it not for the horrendous injuries he struggled with he could have been world class. As a midfielder he had it all, I thought he was gonna be the next Vieira :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Limerick: Our fans are quite **** for creating an atmosphere.

Liverpool: Lots of fans love to say YNWA but don't live it. They'll spit bile at members of the club at the drop of a hat despite them giving a valuable service to the club. Current example is Skrtel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Not a club, but a country:

I often got into big rows about him at the time, but I despised Charlton and the way he had the Irish team play. We had a seriously talented team, playing with some of the best clubs in Europe, a once in a generation/lifetime opportunity was lost. For many people though, he's untouchable.

Liverpool lost more by selling Xabi Alonso than any other player over the past 20 years. More influential and important on the pitch than Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As a Chelsea fan, I don't agree whatsoever that money buys success, you need a proper manager, as this season has shown (look at Leicester then look at the big spending teams).

Money doesn't buy success.

But it tilts it very much towards clubs with the highest spending power.

How much success did Chelsea have before their "honest" Russian backer rolled in compared to since his arrival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Zebra3 wrote:
    Money doesn't buy success.
    Oh I'm well aware of that and I'm not naive enough to deny it but I always look at some of the managers Chelsea have had and how much the instability has damaged a potential dominance of the game. A lot of people have simplified it as "you only win because you're loaded". No, we only compete because we're loaded. When we win, it's because the manager and the team earn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Red Kev wrote: »
    Not a club, but a country:

I often got into big rows about him at the time, but I despised Charlton and the way he had the Irish team play. We had a seriously talented team, playing with some of the best clubs in Europe, a once in a generation/lifetime opportunity was lost. For many people though, he's untouchable.

i agree 100% it was bar far the best team that we will ever have and he abused them not allowing them to play football and opposed to lumping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Manchester Utd

Robson was a better player than Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Man Utd; Wayne Rooney is possibly the most overrated player of the entire Premier League era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Billy86 wrote: »
    Man Utd; Wayne Rooney is possibly the most overrated player of the entire Premier League era.

Giggs for me. Great career does not equal great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Young Rooney was quite a player. He just hasn't been anywhere near that for nearly 5-6 years. He's been living on reputation for a long, long time at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That would be a very unpopular opinion with me :p

Mine is that Moyes should have gotten a second season and was given a poisoned chalice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Liam O wrote: »
    That would be a very unpopular opinion with me :p

Mine is that Moyes should have gotten a second season and was given a poisoned chalice.
    And that would be one with me. :p

But one that's probably not too unpopular: for the most part, Ferguson's transfer dealings post 2007(ish) were horrendous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think I have the winner: I don't have a problem with John Delaney and I think football infrastructure has moved forward a good bit since I started playing and watching twenty years ago.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Liverpool: I don't think this is our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ireland
    This team will do no better than the last one in the Euros, well maybe on goal difference, but that is about all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona: Rivaldo would still hold a place in my top three players of this century and at the expense of Xavi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

West Ham: Sam Allardyce was a fantastic manager for us. We wouldn't be where we are today without him. While my worries about him leaving were unfounded, the three unspectacular yet stable seasons in the PL were exactly what was needed to push on to a higher level. He still gets a bad rap from some of our fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Liverpool.. Benitez bored the pants off me in his last season and I was glad he left. Little did I suspect what would follow would be vastly inferior to Rafa.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Everyone wants Leeds back in the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Everyone wants Leeds back in the premier league

I'm not sure if you mean that that's the unfounded statement there - I certainly don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Liverpool - Roy Hodgson was a great manager and should have been given at least 4 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

West Ham: Sam Allardyce was a fantastic manager for us. We wouldn't be where we are today without him. While my worries about him leaving were unfounded, the three unspectacular yet stable seasons in the PL were exactly what was needed to push on to a higher level. He still gets a bad rap from some of our fans.

I also agree with that one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Man United: I couldn't care less that Ryan Giggs rode his brother's wife or Wayne Rooney was at it with grannies.
    Unless it has a direct effect on their performances, off the pitch stuff is irrelevant to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Man United: I couldn't care less that Ryan Giggs rode his brother's wife or Wayne Rooney was at it with grannies. Unless it has a direct effect on their performances, off the pitch stuff is irrelevant to me.

Giggs was fantastic for United 09-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

United fan.

Agree somewhat with what people were saying about Scholes in this thread. I think his hype was only talked about because he went so long without the hype. Similar to Carrick now - everyone saying he is world class.

My unpopular opinion is that Schmeichel wasn't really that great of a keeper. Van DE Saar was better and so is DE gea.

Also think that Van persie and van nisttleroy were our best bpl strikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Apparently kicking the ****e out of chelsea was a bad thing. Who knew?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oh I'm well aware of that and I'm not naive enough to deny it but I always look at some of the managers Chelsea have had and how much the instability has damaged a potential dominance of the game. A lot of people have simplified it as "you only win because you're loaded". No, we only compete because we're loaded. When we win, it's because the manager and the team earn it.

But that winning is still hugely influenced by money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Arsenal - replacing Wenger would be a mistake right now. We would be less able to hold on to the likes of Ozil and Sanchez, and less able to attract the kind of striker we need to take us to the next level if Wenger wasn't there, because we wouldn't be able to bring in any of the few managers who are better and/or more well respected.

Advertisement