Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pugs!

• 05-05-2016 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here own a pug? I would love to get some insight into what its like to own one.

I have been obsessed with pugs for years - they are such little characters. I am considering getting one in the near future.

I have a moral quandary about buying a dog as there are so many amazing dogs looking for homes but my plan is to donate the same amount that i spend buying a pug to an animal welfare organization.Also i will buy from a reputable breeder.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I haven't ever owned one, but worked with plenty.

Pugs are hilarious happy dogs, tend to LOVE food which can be a problem, you need to keep their weight down not only for their health, but breathing issues they may have, if you get one with any breathing issues they can be not a fan of physical exercise, which in turn means they gain weight even easier... so there is a knock on affect when it comes to their weight/breathing problems. You will also have to clean their folds around their face weekly. They can also be prone to eye problems. Pet insurance is a must with a dog like a pug.

You would want to find a breeder who breeds for a longer muzzle (healthier offspring) to lessen breathing issues down the line. Meeting the parents will tell you a lot about their health when it comes to how they breathe, you wouldn't want to hear a crazy amount of snorting coming from them, especially if they aren't doing much more than simply walking over to you.

There's an awful amount of people breeding pugs for money and not for a passion for the breed. You'll want to see more than the parents simply being IKC registered. The Irish Pug Club has some good information: http://www.irishpugdogclub.com/puppies.html

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

VonVix wrote: »
    I haven't ever owned one, but worked with plenty.

Pugs are hilarious happy dogs, tend to LOVE food which can be a problem, you need to keep their weight down not only for their health, but breathing issues they may have, if you get one with any breathing issues they can be not a fan of physical exercise, which in turn means they gain weight even easier... so there is a knock on affect when it comes to their weight/breathing problems. You will also have to clean their folds around their face weekly. They can also be prone to eye problems. Pet insurance is a must with a dog like a pug.

You would want to find a breeder who breeds for a longer muzzle (healthier offspring) to lessen breathing issues down the line. Meeting the parents will tell you a lot about their health when it comes to how they breathe, you wouldn't want to hear a crazy amount of snorting coming from them, especially if they aren't doing much more than simply walking over to you.

There's an awful amount of people breeding pugs for money and not for a passion for the breed. You'll want to see more than the parents simply being IKC registered. The Irish Pug Club has some good information: http://www.irishpugdogclub.com/puppies.html

Wow - thanks for all the info! Pugs personalities are what attracted them to me - they just seem to radiate happiness!

I was aware that they are not too into exercise and i think their tolerance for it is quite low. I am quite active myself but wouldnt expect the pug to keep up with my activity levels.

I knew the folds on the face needed to be cleaned but i didnt know it was twice weekly - i dont think they like having it done either. Thats good to know that people are breeding them with a view to making their breathing easier, some pugs i have met are so snorty and i imagine its uncomfortable for them.

Thanks again!

Parchment wrote: »
    Wow - thanks for all the info! Pugs personalities are what attracted them to me - they just seem to radiate happiness!

I was aware that they are not too into exercise and i think their tolerance for it is quite low. I am quite active myself but wouldnt expect the pug to keep up with my activity levels.

I knew the folds on the face needed to be cleaned but i didnt know it was twice weekly - i dont think they like having it done either. Thats good to know that people are breeding them with a view to making their breathing easier, some pugs i have met are so snorty and i imagine its uncomfortable for them.

Thanks again!

I don't think them being not into exercise is necessarily true, healthy pugs I have worked with have been SUPER into walking/running/playing, powering along. Unhealthy pugs (wheezing and/or overweight) shy away from the sight of a harness. Which is another thing... you can't walk a pug on a collar.

If you get a puppy used to it early, make it fun, include their kibble in it, you should have no problem cleaning their little nose folds. The problem is most people will only start cleaning their pug's nose when it's needed, and often when the dog is an adult and it's a totally new and unnatural experience for them. Pugs are also very "handsy", they like using their paws, so getting them used to having their nails clipped/paws handled daily from an early age is very important.

I don't think them being not into exercise is necessarily true, healthy pugs I have worked with have been SUPER into walking/running/playing, powering along. Unhealthy pugs (wheezing and/or overweight) shy away from the sight of a harness. Which is another thing... you can't walk a pug on a collar.

If you get a puppy used to it early, make it fun, include their kibble in it, you should have no problem cleaning their little nose folds. The problem is most people will only start cleaning their pug's nose when it's needed, and often when the dog is an adult and it's a totally new and unnatural experience for them. Pugs are also very "handsy", they like using their paws, so getting them used to having their nails clipped/paws handled daily from an early age is very important.

thats true - many pugs seem to be lap dogs. We are an active household so hopefully the pup would get used to it! They seem to have a real joy de vivre so some of that energy could translate to exercise.

Thanks for that info about their paws - i didnt know that. They seem very curious and seem to be real people-dogs. My parents have a terrier and she couldnt care less about people! She wants to do her own thing.

Parchment wrote: »
    thats true - many pugs seem to be lap dogs. We are an active household so hopefully the pup would get used to it! They seem to have a real joy de vivre so some of that energy could translate to exercise.

Thanks for that info about their paws - i didnt know that. They seem very curious and seem to be real people-dogs. My parents have a terrier and she couldnt care less about people! She wants to do her own thing.

With every post you make... you remind me of something else to mention... :p

If you get a Pug, don't be surprised if you find there are dogs who simply do not like him/her for no obvious reason. I have met plenty of dogs who are uncomfortable with brachycephalic (short nosed) breeds, their body language/expression is a little different, and some dogs don't know how to read them, plus for whatever reason brachycephalic breeds tend to be a little more intense and excitable when it comes to play, which can throw some dogs off and get them on the defensive.

• Advertisement

With every post you make... you remind me of something else to mention... :p

If you get a Pug, don't be surprised if you find there are dogs who simply do not like him/her for no obvious reason. I have met plenty of dogs who are uncomfortable with brachycephalic (short nosed) breeds, their body language/expression is a little different, and some dogs don't know how to read them, plus for whatever reason brachycephalic breeds tend to be a little more intense and excitable when it comes to play, which can throw some dogs off and get them on the defensive.

Thats really interesting! i guess their features are so different and also they cant give a hugely obvious tail wag so maybe that factors into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I would get a vet's advice on what to look out for. It can be surprisingly hard to spot a dog who is having difficulty breathing, and even if the dog is obviously having difficulty many people don't understand what they're seeing ("he just snorts"/"they're just panting"/"Hah, look, he sleeps sitting up!"). I've a dog with a lot of lung scarring that was picked up as we were in the vet for something else- one functioning lung only, and she seems perfectly fine. You wouldn't want to be supporting someone who is not following the basics of responsible breeding.

No matter what breed of dog it is it should be able to breathe well enough to do a normal amount of exercise- because if it can't cope with that exercise because it cannot get in enough air, it's likely that it's having some difficulty breathing all the time and you just can't see it. My scarred-lunged, elderly dog with bad hips can do an hour of walking and come home and throw a toy at me.

Look for a longer muzzle on the parents and big, wide, open nostrils. The longer muzzle will also improve your dog's chances of avoiding painful dental problems as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

What is a good cross over breed with a pug to cancel out their problems. Thanks a milion for the links an eye opener with pug skull.
    Is there an irish mprv breeder than follow the german mprv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Just sticking my oar in here for a moment, remembering all the pugs we had over the years. My Mum loved them and used to breed/show them for a while. We spent a lot of St. Patrick's Days in the RDS! All that's been said above is hugely important and much more knowledge than we ever had but the breed wasn't nearly as well known back then as it is now....sure an ad's not an ad without a pug in it these days. People used to stop us to ask us about our bulldog puppies, understandable, especially as we were carrying them back from their walks! I do remember their eyesight not being the best, as well as all the huffing and puffing. But my overwhelming memory of all our pugs is the loyal affection, they adored Mum almost as much as she adored them and would settle down at her feet for the evening. Lovely, lovely dogs for so many good reasons, I hope yours brings as much love to your home as ours did. Good luck. J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What is a good cross over breed with a pug to cancel out their problems. Thanks a milion for the links an eye opener with pug skull.
    Is there an irish mprv breeder than follow the german mprv?

Sorry what do you mean? What is Mprv??

No cross will cancel out problems, if anything it could make them worse to be honest. That's not how it works unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Well yeah, if your problem is directly related to (a) a gene not found in the other breed, that is harmless when recessive or (b) unsuitable body shape, like a head shape that does not allow the dog to breathe properly crossed to a breed that has a more suitable morphology, a cross cannot make that problem worse and will make that problem better. Look at the LUA dalmatians.

Hell, look at any pug cross- ugly dogs, but much better able to breathe than purebred pugs. If you crossed a pug and a bulldog you might run into problems.

MPRV is a German movement for breeding pugs and pekingese that are able to breathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry what do you mean? What is Mprv??

Someone posted a link in a previous post. On the page that is linked there is a link to another page about Mprv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I have two pugs. A 10 year old male and a 6 year old female. Both of mine are healthy, happy dogs and for the most part I think the health problems are grossly exaggerated. They're a very greedy dog, but I honestly prefer it that way as I have had fussy dogs in the past which can be difficult when they're not eating. You just have to ensure that you don't overfeed them, as mentioned they're prone to weight gain. In terms of activity, the female loves walking and goes every evening but the male never enjoyed walks so it will depend on the individual. The stereotype that they're all lazy isn't true IMO, but they are laid back and easygoing. We got Molly as a puppy, she's a lapdog and is quite needy! If you're getting a pug I would recommend keeping them as a house dog. They really wouldn't be happy outside, and thrive being involved in family life. Breathing can be an issue with the breed, never walk them on a hot day for example. They're not able for it. One major downside is the shedding!

Advertisement