Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammer N4400 - Tightening Drive Belt

• 05-05-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

My new Hammer N4400 has been working great thus far. Thanks to Recipio and others for advice / tips.

Quick question about adjusting the Drive Belt on a new saw / this saw.
    the manual states that:

8.2 - Tightening / Replacing Drive Belt

'Following the first few operating hours, the belt tension has to be controlled, as the belt will extend.
    To check the tension, press inwards onto the belt in the middle with a weight of 3-4kg.
    The belt deflection should not be more than 5-6mm.'

I'm not too sure how I can gauge when I'm applying a force of 3-4kg.

Can anyone advise me as to how I can check the tension is correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I suppose in very simple terms a 2kg bag of sugar would require a little over 2kg of force to push it along the worktop.:).

Basically checking belt deflection on woodwork machinery, means press it with
    a single finger to check for slack.

Unless your drive belt is an elastic band....which its not........applying 2 kg or 5 kg will have little difference.

Its press it firmly, but not excessively with a single finger. Little pinky
    even, its enough:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could use a spring balance, even a cheap one used to measure luggage (with a stick on the hook end and the hanging loop caught with your forefinger) to gauge the tension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

argh. even the instruction manual is mixing up weight and mass. you'd think it would have been written by an engineer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

6mm deflection on the longest run of the belt ( I presume) is nice and firm.

You would know if its too loose, as it would vibrate a good bit visually on startup.

A single finger for testing the amount will be good enough, its not a mission critical setting,

and thats the way fitters/machinists set them. I have for 45 years, you wont have any problem

Advertisement