Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kbc Digital only Current Account

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Still riduculous the amount of documentation that you must photo for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Still riduculous the amount of documentation that you must photo for them.

Which is hardly their fault giving that the Irish Government (aka Big Brother) demands a high quality identification process to ensure that you don't attempt to spend any hard earned money without them knowing.

I went through this process with the App a couple of weeks ago, it was excellent and easy and my account was available within hours.

Now the App itself is nice but not nearly as good as number26, but for an Irish Bank to have a quick way to open an account without going to a branch/hub is a good alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I wonder if an Irish Bank could contract out it's mobile app to another E.U. company they might be able to get around this - 2 i.d.'s photo's etc.

I did close Number26 in the end due to the atm tax and it's implementation or lack off but opening the account was fantastic and the app is good as you say.

I welcome Kbc's attempt as being the first here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Besides current accounts will they offer any savings accounts too?

soirish wrote: »
    Besides current accounts will they offer any savings accounts too?

They do offer a Deposit Savings account which you can open online in the App within minutes if you have a current account and also a regular savers account which at present still requires a walk to a hub (branch) or via postal service.

• Advertisement

I wonder if an Irish Bank could contract out it's mobile app to another E.U. company they might be able to get around this - 2 i.d.'s photo's etc.

I did close Number26 in the end due to the atm tax and it's implementation or lack off but opening the account was fantastic and the app is good as you say.

I welcome Kbc's attempt as being the first here in Ireland.

I agree number26 shows how an app could work for a real bank.

Right now I think KBC makes a step into the right direction, but the lack of notification features just makes it another app for basic banking feature but the account opening is a big step for an Irish bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

As I understand it there's very little money to be made in retail banking here so I wouldn't expect anything competitive for Irish banks for a long time!

I've been trailing N26 since February or so and it's so good I'm using it all the time. I'm at the stage now where I'm 99% comfortable to instruct my job to pay directly into it and move all my direct debits to it aswell, and close my PTSB account. The only 1% niggling doubt I have is that they are a fairly new fintech startup so could go under at any time, and getting any money back after that would be a pain (I can't find any financial information about the companys performance). So I might just continue as is for another year or so and see how it pans out.

Elessar wrote: »
    As I understand it there's very little money to be made in retail banking here so I wouldn't expect anything competitive for Irish banks for a long time!

I've been trailing N26 since February or so and it's so good I'm using it all the time. I'm at the stage now where I'm 99% comfortable to instruct my job to pay directly into it and move all my direct debits to it aswell, and close my PTSB account. The only 1% niggling doubt I have is that they are a fairly new fintech startup so could go under at any time, and getting any money back after that would be a pain (I can't find any financial information about the companys performance). So I might just continue as is for another year or so and see how it pans out.

I would suggest you have a look at the N26 thread's on here.

N26 is not a bank, your account is actually with Wirecard Bank who are covered by German Banking Protection rules. There are a couple of posts about the specifics in the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

https://www.kbc.ie/Why-KBC/Online-and-Mobile-Banking/Our-Mobile-App

- Someone has to follow Number 26 -or at least make an attempt.

The foreign currency charges on that debit card are punitive. No thanks!

I was thinking about opening this account but I was just wondering is there any limit on the number of current accounts one can have open at any one time in Ireland.

The reason I ask is because I currently have two; my main current account for payment of wages and day to day transactions and I also have a current account with a different bank which I opened when I was in college (they had some offer on at the time where you got a free mobile for signing up). Is it ok to proceed and open this KBC current account. If I find it any good I may end up closing one of the other accounts.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about opening this account but I was just wondering is there any limit on the number of current accounts one can have open at any one time in Ireland.

The reason I ask is because I currently have two; my main current account for payment of wages and day to day transactions and I also have a current account with a different bank which I opened when I was in college (they had some offer on at the time where you got a free mobile for signing up). Is it ok to proceed and open this KBC current account. If I find it any good I may end up closing one of the other accounts.

You can open as many bank accounts as the banks let you.

But remember that KBC is only free when you get 2500 € in a month.

And since the flat Debit card tax is gone it won't cost you anything for the debit card either unless you use the ATM.

Advertisement