Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant Stray Cat

• 05-05-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

A few months back 2 stray cats started hanging around in my in-laws back garden. My in-laws have fed them (keeps vermin away), but they have never been touched or have ever entered the house or anything like that. Of late Mrs. Dulpit has noticed that one of the cats appears to be quite pregnant, and her mother mentioned today that she's barely able to move she's gotten so big, so looks like there might be more kittens on the way soon.

Any ideas what to do with them? I don't know if the strays that came in first place were pets that were let go/escaped, or were born wild or what. I suppose the best thing would be to have the cats spayed and sent to a shelter or something, but I/they wouldn't fancy anything that would endanger the animals.

We're in Cork if that helps - any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The best thing to do would be TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) the 2 original cats. Then keep feeding them. Theyll stop other cats moving in on their turf but they wont keep breeding. The timing should go like this:

When the kittens are born and the cat brings them out into public eye (around 6 weeks) try and handle them immediately. There is a window on handling cats, if you get them between 6-10 weeks or so they will be able to be handled and rehomed. You probably need to allow at least 6 weeks as Mamma Cat will be nursing them. When she brings them out in public she will be encouraging them to eat solid food. Once they are eating solids Mamma can be trapped and neutered. While she is being neutered (and ideally kept in for 10 days afterwards in a shed or some kind of safe place), catch the kittens and get them to a rescue or a foster home.

We did it about 18 months ago with a Mamma Cat and kittens. Actually it turned out Mamma Cat was quite happy to be handled (we approached the situation with a wild animal trap and long gloves - didnt we feel thick when a neighbour picked her up and she purred and cuddled into him ;)).

When the vet gave us back Mamma Cat we thought we were releasing her but the vet said she needed to be kept in for 10 days.

24 hours later she was our little princess and we have been willing slaves ever since.

So try for handling the original cats - its a much easier task if you can just put the cat in a cat box and dont have to trap it.

Local rescues will advise you and may be able to lend a trap and help with neutering costs. Our local vets helped us out, gave us a lower price neutering. We borrowed a trap off a neighbour - we still used it to get the kittens. Food lured them after Mamma Cat was gone a couple of days.

Advertisement