Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FCP upgrade in Gorey

• 05-05-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

I see work is starting on the Gorey FCP replacement ( 3 way abb unit ) as well as a second FCP in place of the existing SCP

Edit sorry just one three way abb unit the existing SCP is being removed ( consistent with ecars policy to upgrade all chademo only to dual or triple units

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Thanks for the update, keep us posted, please, as I used this rapid a good few times.

Any news on the mothballed motorway station just north of Gorey?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Does this mean 2 or 3 cars can fast charge at the same ? is there a plan to upgrade all FCPs ?

No only one can charge on the DC and some allow the Zoe charge on the AC side at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

steelboots wrote: »
    Does this mean 2 or 3 cars can fast charge at the same ? is there a plan to upgrade all FCPs ?

The esb is removing all chademo units and replacing them with 3 way. Fcps ( also many have no rfid capability)

Gorey supposed to be commissioned tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Is there any kind of rough timeframe/plan in mind or is it just replace once a unit goes down? Do they have the funds to complete this or have they actually got the units already and sitting in a warehouse somewhere?
    Any chance they'd go ahead with installing a triple next to a current Chademo to give additional capacity, even in short term?
    Lots of questions, :)

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    Is there any kind of rough timeframe/plan in mind or is it just replace once a unit goes down? Do they have the funds to complete this or have they actually got the units already and sitting in a warehouse somewhere?
    Any chance they'd go ahead with installing a triple next to a current Chademo to give additional capacity, even in short term?
    Lots of questions, :)

I think it's a rolling upgrade as units fail or need upgrading

I think the major issues in doubling up , is power availability

Power availability isn't an issue.

300 Kva supply to sites in rural areas and 400 Kva to all other sites, this should allow for 3-4 DC chargers at 45 Kw easily and more with load balancing like Tesla use. The only ChaDeMo EV in Ireland capable of sustaining 40-45 Kw is the 30 Kw Leaf, the 24 Kwh can't sustain 45 Kw for more than about 30-35%, the 30 Kw up to about 75%. So 3-4 DC chargers for now won't be an issue. The 24 Kw batter fairs a bit better at about 20 Deg C but then it also will warm up faster charging at DC if it's already at 20 Deg C. But at 20 Deg C the 24 Kw battery can tolerate charging at the higher rate maybe until 40%.

The real issue may perhaps arise when 100+ Kw chargers appear. But I expect the ESB think that at the rate of uptake for electric cars that this won't be an issue for many years, however when 300_ km range electrics appear this could cause a real uptake in electrics, here's hoping !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Lot of activity in the past week, 3 switched over in no time at all. Credit where credit is due to eCars. Now if they can switch out Cullenmore as Wicklow Town always seems to have problems with CCS I'll be happy. Oh and Newlands too, Dublin West is such a CCS blackspot ;)

I do notice people can't be bothered to install the plugs properly into the port on the charger when they're finished or bother putting the rubber cap back on and leave them exposed upwards so that rain can get in. And some people just leave the plug on the ground not bothered to put it back in the charger at all. A bit like the Air Pump at garages. This is a lot of the reason these plugs get damaged.

They really should leave the existing ChaDeMo units and install the new ones beside them but this would cost more money and they don't want to spend it.

A big fear now is that even if the Government agree to provide finding that it will be next year before we see any new chargers installed, this would leave us well behind. And this is (IF) they provide funding.

One of the reasons for not doubling up,is the pose availability on certain sites. I have that on good authority

It's way the scp was removed in Gorey. The site can only support one DC and one full power AC feed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BoatMad wrote: »
    One of the reasons for not doubling up,is the pose availability on certain sites. I have that on good authority

It's way the scp was removed in Gorey. The site can only support one DC and one full power AC feed

Availability of power on sites is a poor excuse though, isnt it, considering ESB own the power network!

When they picked the sites day one they should have ensured there was enough power to expand.

KCross wrote: »
    Availability of power on sites is a poor excuse though, isnt it, considering ESB own the power network!

When they picked the sites day one they should have ensured there was enough power to expand.

Site selection was quite a haphazard process , timescales for the drawdown of European funding meant sites that were easiest to get permission, where used over sites that would have required a lot of negotiations.

Furthermore many sites refused the ESBs advances , most petrol stations turned down the provision of fcps , while many shopping centre welcomed them. This led to the current situation where fcps are in shopping centres etc , even though in many cases ecars themselves accept its a less then optimum solution ( naas for example)

The power requirements are limited by various esb networks issues at each site. Some sites where easy to agree but suboptimal n power availabity

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Can the Gorey FCP charge a 30kwh Leaf yet?

yqtwqxqm wrote: »

All DC chargers can charge a leaf.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »

Yes now it can. The old one couldn't due to power issues

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Yes now it can. The old one couldn't due to power issues

Great, thanks

IMO, the northbound rapid at M1 Castlebellingham should be replaced asap. The fans on it are running constantly and it has twice failed to charge even our 24 kWh. My wife reported issue with it last week and the operator didn't sound too surprised.

Also, it would be great for the CCS people to have a compatible charger there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

( 3 way abb unit )

Not an ABB :( ... the less reliable efacec I'm afraid.

cros13 wrote: »
    Not an ABB :( ... the less reliable efacec I'm afraid.

Sorry yes

Advertisement