Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to construct minor / diminished chords?

• 05-05-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering how to form chords, in general! I've been practicing the piano recently and would like to be able to form major and minor chords, as well as diminished chords, and anything else that's interesting.

I just want to check my understanding:

You form a major chord by playing the root, third, fifth and octave (always octave or not?) or the scale, eg C major: C, E, G, C.

You figure out the minor chord from that by flattening the third and fifth? I think I might be mixing something up there. And what about diminished 7ths?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Chords are made from what the Americans call.."stacking thirds". In other words, every other note in the major scale..i.e. 1,3,5,7 etc. My teacher taught me this way and I found that the penny dropped :

We'll take the C maj scale and stack thirds. So here goes.. We will write out the scale. Then work from the bottom up, starting each line with the third note from the line below :

BCDEFGA
    GABCDEF
    EFGABCD E is the third note of the line below
    CDEFGAB = Maj scale

Now...if we read from the bottom up and from left to right we get all the diatonic chords of the C maj scale. So...the first line from left to right and from the bottom up gives us...CEGB which is Cmaj7 The bottom three lines gives us the Maj chord and when we add the top one we get the 7th.

If we do the same with the 7th line (from left to right ) we get BDFA which is B diminished. I'd recommend doing this exercise with all the scales.

Whether you use the octave or not is up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Hi guys,

Just wondering how to form chords, in general! I've been practicing the piano recently and would like to be able to form major and minor chords, as well as diminished chords, and anything else that's interesting.

I just want to check my understanding:

You form a major chord by playing the root, third, fifth and octave (always octave or not?) or the scale, eg C major: C, E, G, C.

You figure out the minor chord from that by flattening the third and fifth? I think I might be mixing something up there. And what about diminished 7ths?

From C Major scale:

C Major Chord: Root + 3rd + 5th (C-E-G)
    C Minor Chord: Root + b3rd + 5th (C-Eb-G)
    C Diminished chord: Root + b3rd + b5th (C-Eb-Gb)
    C Diminished 7th: Root + b3rd + b5th + bb7th (C-Eb-Gb-A)

Octave notes are optional as the note is already there once.

Rigsbys method of making chords fast is really good and worth learning

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Thanks guys, perfect explanations! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

Or alternatively, a Minor chord is also made up of the 1st (root) 3rd & 5th notes - when using the minor scale.

So major & minor chords are always made from the 1st, 3rd, & 5th notes.

Em is 1st, 3rd, & 5th notes from Em scale (E, G, B)
    Dm is 1st, 3rd, & 5th notes from Dm scale (D, F, A)
    A major is 1st, 3rd, & 5th notes from A major scale (A, C#, E)
    G major is 1st, 3rd, & 5th notes from G major scale (G, B, D)

Advertisement