Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new system for pedestrians crossing at traffic lights is dangerous

• 05-05-2016 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the change in the city?

Now when the green man starts flashing at the same time there is an orange light for traffic.

So cars start moving through the lights as pedestrians are still crossing the street. It is even worse for visually impaired pedestrians as the sound for crossing safely is still going while an orange light is going for traffic.

Its insanely stupid. Someone is going to get knocked down and killed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Red King wrote: »

Now when the green man starts flashing at the same time there is an orange light for traffic.

So cars start moving through the lights as pedestrians are still crossing the street. It is even worse for visually impaired pedestrians as the sound for crossing safely is still going while an orange light is going for traffic.

Has that not always been the case? Flashing amber for traffic means proceed if the way is clear...similar to a zebra crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Has that not always been the case? Flashing amber for traffic means proceed if the way is clear...similar to a zebra crossing.

At the same time it is flashing green to cross?

I don't recall it ever being like that and neither do the people who were with me when we observed this on Patrick Street across from Arthurs Quay and again at the other side of Arthurs Quay across from the park.

And the traffic was driving straight through even while pedestrians were crossing.

I always recall that the lights were red for cars until the green light for pedestrians stopped flashing, the flashing being an indicator that the light was about to change.

Is it also not crazy to have the sound for visually impaired people indicating it is safe to cross as the same time as an amber light for traffic?
    Something is definitely off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

At the same time it is flashing green to cross?

I don't recall it ever being like that and neither do the people who were with me when we observed this on Patrick Street across from Arthurs Quay and again at the other side of Arthurs Quay across from the park.

And the traffic was driving straight through even while pedestrians were crossing.

I always recall that the lights were red for cars until the green light for pedestrians stopped flashing, the flashing being an indicator that the light was about to change.

Is it also not crazy to have the sound for visually impaired people indicating it is safe to cross as the same time as an amber light for traffic?
    Something is definitely off.

I doesn't matter what the pedestrian lights are doing, you're not supposed to drive through the lights at the flashing amber light unless there are no pedestrians crossing.

I checked online and there seems to be two systems

Pelican Crossing

At this crossing, an amber light will flash for a short period after the red light for drivers goes out. Similarly, the 'green man' light for pedestrians will flash for a short time before changing to the 'red man' light. A flashing amber light at a pelican crossing gives priority to pedestrians.

Pedestrian Lights

Pedestrian lights consist of a set of traffic lights for drivers and a set of light signals for pedestrians. Usually there is a push button for pedestrians. When you press it, the traffic lights will turn to red after a short while.
    Do not cross while the 'wait' or 'red man' light is showing.
    Cross with care when the 'cross now' or 'green man' is showing.

For vision-impaired pedestrians an audible bleep signal and/or vibrating panel on the push button may be in place to indicate when it is safe to cross.

My issue is that before it was like a Pedestrian Crossing. Now it appears to be a Pelican crossing. The problem however is that the cars are not giving priority to pedestrians when the traffic light is flashing amber. The bleep signal is also indicating that it is safe to cross when it definitely isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

The drivers need to start obeying the rules of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

its been like that forever ! and a flashing amber light is only "proceed if the way is clear" ...i dont see the issue except for drivers not knowing the rules, which i've witness a bit with these :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

and again at the other side of Arthurs Quay across from the park.

Don't know about the other one but these traffic lights have been that way for years, I use them quite often.

As have I? Maybe it is just the increased amount of traffic blazing through on amber that has made me notice.

Either way it is a ridiculous system as amber seems to be interpreted as "Pedestrians get out of my way"

And the safe to cross sound added to this for people with impaired vision is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I checked online and there seems to be two systems

Pelican Crossing

At this crossing, an amber light will flash for a short period after the red light for drivers goes out. Similarly, the 'green man' light for pedestrians will flash for a short time before changing to the 'red man' light. A flashing amber light at a pelican crossing gives priority to pedestrians.

Pedestrian Lights

Pedestrian lights consist of a set of traffic lights for drivers and a set of light signals for pedestrians. Usually there is a push button for pedestrians. When you press it, the traffic lights will turn to red after a short while.
    Do not cross while the 'wait' or 'red man' light is showing.
    Cross with care when the 'cross now' or 'green man' is showing.

For vision-impaired pedestrians an audible bleep signal and/or vibrating panel on the push button may be in place to indicate when it is safe to cross.

My issue is that before it was like a Pedestrian Crossing. Now it appears to be a Pelican crossing. The problem however is that the cars are not giving priority to pedestrians when the traffic light is flashing amber. The bleep signal is also indicating that it is safe to cross when it definitely isn't.

The flashing green for the pedestrian lights mean that you can finish crossing but no one is allowed to start. The motorists shouldn't be moving on amber, it means prepare to stop, and even green doesn't mean that they can go, it means proceed with caution. So the beeps for visually impaired are correct.

The problem is that the RSA and Gardai are only interested in enforcing 2 traffic laws, so every other law is routinely ignored by all road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

The drivers need to start obeying the rules of the road

Not just the drivers. I'm perfectly happy to allow someone in the process of crossing to continue, but - similar to a driver being 100% wrong in continuing through on amber if they can stop safely - pedestrians should not start crossing when the green man is flashing.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The flashing green for the pedestrian lights mean that you can finish crossing but no one is allowed to start. The motorists shouldn't be moving on amber, it means prepare to stop, and even green doesn't mean that they can go, it means proceed with caution. So the beeps for visually impaired are correct.

The problem is that the RSA and Gardai are only interested in enforcing 2 traffic laws, so every other law is routinely ignored by all road users.

But if you shouldn't start crossing on a flashing green then shouldn't the beeps for visually impaired stop when it is flashing green? As it is they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Haven't seen this myself, but are you saying that the sequence of the traffic lights for drivers goes green~orange~red~flashing orange~green?

This seems completely insane if pedestrians and cars are both able to move at the same time? Not sure if I'm understanding the whole situation or if its just crazy.

It is flashing orange for traffic and flashing green for pedestrians at the same time.

It is also beeping safe to cross for visually impaired.

Pedestrians keep crossing and cars start driving through while the lights are flashing amber (cars) and flashing green (pedestrians) so you end up with pedestrians in the middle of the road and cars driving around them.

I actually stopped and watched this happen every time over a 20 minute period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm with some of the others on this. What's wrong with the lights? Nothing as far as I can tell from your description.

I drive about 7000kms a month so bump into numerous different types of lights, old, new and out of sync lights so this is why I'm wondering why you'd think the lights aren't correct.

I'll use Arthurs Quay crossing as an example by the bus stop. The drivers get an orange light but the pedestrians are still crossing(flashing green). That's normal. You cannot proceed until the pedestrians are out of the way.

Granted maybe those lights need to be like the newer lights like at the Junction by Debenhams. A Driver will not get a green light until the pedestrians lights go red. That's just on the busier junctions I guess.

The problem then is that drivers are proceeding on amber while pedestrians are crossing on a flashing green.

And dome pedestrians seem to think it is OK to cross on a flashing green.

So there appears to be fault on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Exactly.

Bad pedestrians and bad drivers. Lights are fine but you can't legislate for ignorance.

Remember there used to be a time when they didn't use the amber after red, only before red.

I don't see why the need for it to be different than say at debenhams. It clearly is causing confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Red King wrote:
    And the safe to cross sound added to this for people with impaired vision is asking for trouble.

Does the sound tempo not change when the light is flashing green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Does the sound tempo not change when the light is flashing green

It does the beeps split and the whole system works as follows.

Green for pedestrian then it flashes and orange flashes for traffic.
    Pedestrians already crossing are to be allowed do so but any pedestrian that have not already started to cross they must stop and wait for next sequence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The worst problem is lads who push the button, then run straight across the road and then the traffic is held up while no pedestrians are crossing.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many people understand the pelican crossing lights?

It seems to be causing huge confusion at the crossing I mentioned, from drivers and pedestrians alike.

Advertisement